Underlying numbers show Duchene’s value over Turris

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't think Ottawa really overpaid that badly if they didn't think they could sign Turris. They get 2 years of Duchene for 1 year of Turris, 2 (likely late) first rounders, and s 3rd.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Duchene has put up near a pt per game over a full season, not sure Turris has that in him.

Hard to gauge players on bad teams sometimes; Colorado was a bit of a mess after Roy pulled the parachute last minute and they needed a Coach in a hurry.

I think (hope) he's going to rebound in a big way; I could see him approaching 70+ pts if he has the right linemates in Ottawa, though I suspect he'll get Smith and Dzingel and be a 60 pts guy.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Duchene has put up near a pt per game over a full season, not sure Turris has that in him.

Hard to gauge players on bad teams sometimes; Colorado was a bit of a mess after Roy pulled the parachute last minute and they needed a Coach in a hurry.

I think (hope) he's going to rebound in a big way; I could see him approaching 70+ pts if he has the right linemates in Ottawa, though I suspect he'll get Smith and Dzingel and be a 60 pts guy.
Dany Heatley scored 50 goals before. That's about as relevant as Duchene's "nearly PPG season" when evaluating the players now.

Even taking that Duchene is better than Turris for the sake of argument (I don't buy it - Turris puts up similar numbers offensively with better D), the upgrade is a minor one. Ottawa has a deep pool, but if you're going to use that deep pool for an upgrade, make it an actual upgrade.

Nashville paid a lot as well, but no one is criticizing them. Girard is a really good piece (probably best non-roster piece in the deal). They filled a hole. That's what you're supposed to do when you give up a lot of assets/valuable assets - fill a hole in the roster. If Ottawa had a hole, it's at 1C. Duchene is not a 1C.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
I would be worried if I was a Sens fan. In today's NHL you can't be trading your future away. They have traded ALOT of their future away the past 2 seasons.

Thanks for Dahlin tho we are thankful.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dany Heatley scored 50 goals before. That's about as relevant as Duchene's "nearly PPG season" when evaluating the players now.

production is 1 part talent, one part opportunity. Duchene's opportunity in Colorado was rolled back thanks in part to McKinnon's arrival, and the deterioration of the teams depth. He went from being their #1 center with loads of support, to splitting duties to being their #2 with limited depth. which isn't that much different the 64 pts pace he put up 2 seasons ago prior to Roy screwing over the team. Anybody who looks at his stats from last year and thinks that's the player he is needs to dig a little deeper imo.

What he still has is the speed and creativity to put up pts, and on the Sens, he will probably be the clear cut #1 center again. Depending on his wingers, I could see him putting up in the 70 pts range,

55sensfan

Apr 24, 2012
If the Sens can't move their good prospects onto to the team either now and in a year or two, they might as well trade them away for other value. It is possible to have too many prospects either overall, or in specific positions.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
If Ottawa wins a cup or comes close again and re-signs Duchene (who is proven talent) for a few years it's a great deal for them.

Nashville does OK here but Turris doesn't make them leagues better or anything. Will be interesting to see his worth in a few years with that big contract.

Colorado doesn't have the greatest track record with recent drafts and prospects outside of 'cant-miss' players so nobody really knows the value of those picks yet.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think the big question is how quicky will Duchene adjust to Boucher's system? I'll be surprised if he just jumps in and starts lighting the world on fire. I've no doubt he's going to be good next season no matter what happens, but this year could potentially be a lot tougher than people anticipate.

Then people start talking and we all know how that can turn out.

Hoping for the best though.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Not only his value, his straight-up hardcore alfa dominance over Kyle 'Ceiling' Turris.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Ottawa lost this trade. They have up a lot for a marginal upgrade.
Colorado kind of lost too. They gave up their bet chip for the foreseeable future for a ton of question marks. Didn't get the d-man they wanted or even a slightly comparable d-man.

Nashville made out alright imo. Didn't give up all that much for a top 6 center, but 6 years for Turris is a bit much. That contract is going to be rough toward the end I think.

Reactions: SensFactor

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
I would be worried if I was a Sens fan. In today's NHL you can't be trading your future away. They have traded ALOT of their future away the past 2 seasons.

That's exactly what we didn't do? Chabot/Brown/White etc etc etc are still here!

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
Looking at the article the big things that pop out for me in the adv. stats are the giveaway/takeaway, FO% and expected goals for %. When you want to look past purely point totals and such, I'd say those 3 things are about as important of stats as you can get when it comes to affecting the whole flow of the game. Dutch has a huge advantage in GA/TA and sizeable lead in FO%, which means he's able to get his team possession of the puck. If you had two players in equal playing fields, the one who has the puck more is going to outscore the other. I'd guess then that if Duchene keeps those stats going to Ottawa, replacing Turris, he's likely to outscore him, simply by virtue of getting his team the puck more often.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Dahlen*, great to see the knowledge coming through.

Besser and Peterson are great too
I love guys like you. Lurk message boards all day looking for spelling errors to correct while pumping your chest.

No one gives a **** pal. Thanks for Dahlen.

The fact the Sens gave up

Turris
1st
3rd
Bowers(1st in '17)
Hammond (throw away)

For Duchene

Is absolutely embarrssing. I have nothing against the Sens or their fans. But the amount of futures given away the last 2 seasons is ridiculous. You can't make it in today's NHL doing this ****.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

A canuck fan is talking about futures? damn now I have seen it all. The Sens kept their top 5-7 prospects intact even while trading with Vancouver.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I love guys like you. Lurk message boards all day looking for spelling errors to correct while pumping your chest.

No one gives a **** pal. Thanks for Dahlen.

The fact the Sens gave up

Turris
1st
3rd
Bowers(1st in '17)
Hammond (throw away)

For Duchene

Is absolutely embarrssing. I have nothing against the Sens or their fans. But the amount of futures given away the last 2 seasons is ridiculous. You can't make it in today's NHL doing this ****.
Bowers has been passed by both Formenton and Batherson from the 2017 draft alone. Bowers right now is likely outside the Sens top 10 prospects.

Losing the 1st hurts for sure, but the Sens never gave up anyone they weren't willing to lose.

Do I think the Burrows for Dahlen trade was bad? Bigtime. Is it going to block the Sens from succeeding? Absolutely not.

The Sens prospect pool is still stocked.

Chabot
White
Brown
Chlapik
Harpur
Jaros
Formenton
Batherson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad