Under the radar "deadline makeover"

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Who are some guys who are prospects or under the radar that you would like to see be a part of a Smashville forward makeover?

Two guys that i have heard being shopped that i like are:

-Brandon Pirri
-Blake Wheeler

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Who are some guys who are prospects or under the radar that you would like to see be a part of a Smashville forward makeover?

Two guys that i have heard being shopped that i like are:

-Brandon Pirri
-Blake Wheeler

Wheeler being shopped? Didn't he make a pretty big deal recently?

The few Jets games I've catched this season, he's been straight-forward player with an ability to score. I liked what I saw in those games.

e: Jets, Wheeler agree on six-year, $33.6M deal

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
If we do go into sell mode, which I doubt, I would like to see Poile try and snake some of the following:

Kuznetsov from Washington, and I don't care about the Russian factor. GMGM did the dumb once, why not again

Droin from Tampa Bay-Desperate GMs do desperate things. TB is paper thin at Center right now. just called up namesitikov (who I also like a lot) and has another rookie and nate Thompson as its top 3 right now. Stamkos isn't 100% and one of the group thinks godsends (along with Stephen Weiss (WOOOOOOOOOOO) in Valteri Fillipula is out at least a month. TB has cup aspirations. They have solid goaltending, defence and wings...and no centers. After Stevie Y gets over his butt being chapped on Friday, whether we are in it or not, I would ask hm for a Droiun-Legwand or a Cullen-Namestikov deal straight up.

Deadline is a time where idiots overpay. We raked last year. Need to again if we have no intention of re-upping Legwand

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Drouin for legwand is incredibly unrealistic, even if legwand doesn't have a NTC. With a NTC he handcuffs who Poile can shop him to, ultimately preventing most chances of a bidding war for him at the deadline if he is even traded at all. Just because the deadline is where people overpay doesn't mean legwand gets a team's best offensive prospect. Overpaying for legwand who's a soon to be UFA is likely a mid first or a 2nd and a pretty good prospect that happens to be a redundant piece for a contender.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
They have solid goaltending, defence and wings...and no centers. After Stevie Y gets over his butt being chapped on Friday, whether we are in it or not, I would ask hm for a Droiun-Legwand or a Cullen-Namestikov deal straight up.

Deadline is a time where idiots overpay. We raked last year. Need to again if we have no intention of re-upping Legwand
That'd be the most ridiculous deadline payment in the history of deadlines.

I think Legwand will be willing to waive his NTC to just about anywhere-- unless he wants to stick it to the Preds for not signing him to an extension.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Drouin for legwand is incredibly unrealistic, even if legwand doesn't have a NTC. With a NTC he handcuffs who Poile can shop him to, ultimately preventing most chances of a bidding war for him at the deadline if he is even traded at all. Just because the deadline is where people overpay doesn't mean legwand gets a team's best offensive prospect. Overpaying for legwand who's a soon to be UFA is likely a mid first or a 2nd and a pretty good prospect that happens to be a redundant piece for a contender.

Yeah, Brett Connelly is probably unrealistic, but Drouin is firing-Yzerman territory. Legwand probably nets us a prospect and a pick, and up the quality of each a little bit if there are numerous bidders.

I've seen Pirri mentioned both here and on the trade boards and don't really see the big deal. Probably another .5ish PPG guy at best. If he was THAT good, he wouldn't be expendable, even with the Hawks.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
After Stevie Y gets over his butt being chapped on Friday, whether we are in it or not, I would ask hm for a Droiun-Legwand or a Cullen-Namestikov deal straight up.

That'd be the most ridiculous deadline payment in the history of deadlines.

I think Legwand will be willing to waive his NTC to just about anywhere-- unless he wants to stick it to the Preds for not signing him to an extension.

Yeah, I'm with dulzhok. I agree that there are some crazy overpayments done at the deadline, and that we took GMGM to the cleaners, but Legwand for Drouin?!?!?

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
I think Legwand and Ellis for Connolly and a 1st is pretty realistic and do-able from both parties

Connolly would become our 2nd line RW, allowing Hornqvist to move down to the 3rd line

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
i could see the namestinikov for legwand and possibly a 2nd. not straight up though. dude's potential is filthy.

i could see ellis for gagner.

and i also think we could see pirri here. who knows maybe leggy for a prospect like kuznetsov or namestinikov and cullen and a pick for pirri.

i wouldn't mind. i do think wilson, however could nets us a good prospect and a pick.

i know WPG is gonna sell, or rumored to, but i can't see Wheeler being one of them. He's critical to their top 3.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I would take a waiver on Gagner, but not at the expense of Ellis. Gagner would be good with a change of scenery and a move to center, but that contract is too long for downward production. If the Oil are trying to move him, they should be penalized for selling low.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think Legwand and Ellis for Connolly and a 1st is pretty realistic and do-able from both parties

Connolly would become our 2nd line RW, allowing Hornqvist to move down to the 3rd line

We'd rely on a guy with 17 points in 84 NHL games to step right in and become a 2nd liner? Sounds like setting ourselves up for more offensive disappointment.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Anything is possible. Who would have agreed that Martin Erat would have got the return he did at the deadline.

Pirri is a solid player who has done his time and is NHL ready. He has the numbers and AHL scoring title to prove it.
I am not sure why Chicago is wanting to move him. Anyone have any idea?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Anything is possible. Who would have agreed that Martin Erat would have got the return he did at the deadline.

Pirri is a solid player who has done his time and is NHL ready. He has the numbers and AHL scoring title to prove it.
I am not sure why Chicago is wanting to move him. Anyone have any idea?
No knowledge of the source, so perhaps take it with a grain of salt: http://fansided.com/2014/02/15/brandon-pirri-trade-rumors-continue-for-chicago-blackhawks-forward/.
The reason that Pirri has struggled to stick with the ‘Hawks this year is because of his defensive lapses. He’s improved his 200-foot game in the minors over the last few years, and seemingly needs to go to a team where he’ll be allowed to make a few mistakes in the NHL. After all, that’s how young players learn.
If a guy like Peter Regin is being kept around over Pirri, however, as is stated by the article, that's not exactly encouraging.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
No knowledge of the source, so perhaps take it with a grain of salt: http://fansided.com/2014/02/15/brandon-pirri-trade-rumors-continue-for-chicago-blackhawks-forward/.

If a guy like Peter Regin is being kept around over Pirri, however, as is stated by the article, that's not exactly encouraging.
The reason that Pirri has struggled to stick with the ‘Hawks this year is because of his defensive lapses. He’s improved his 200-foot game in the minors over the last few years, and seemingly needs to go to a team where he’ll be allowed to make a few mistakes in the NHL. After all, that’s how young players learn.

Definitely not here, mistakes here = permabench.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I actually propsed Legwand for Tampa's 1st and Connolly on the trade board a few days ago.

The consensus was that the Lightning doesn't need Legwand - they'll have Stamkos back, Filppula, and Tyler Johnson, who has very similar production to Legwand.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN

Good stuff thanks for digging that up. From what i have seen he is a good player. I think it is more of he is a top line guy but there is no room in Chicago. I think he is do a new contract and they may not want to pay the amount to have him on a lower lines. Unlike the Preds who pay out the ass

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND

That has more to do with the role each player is expected to fill. Regin is more versatile depth; Pirri needs to be in a scoring role to be effective, but Chicago is already loaded with offensive talent, so he has no place to play.

I don't think he would be immediately dominant with us (or anyone), but he's a talented player with lots of room to grow in the NHL. I think the Hawks will trade him to a true seller in the East for a good piece in return to bolster the lineup for a run at a repeat.

Between Pirri and Gagner, though, Gagner would be the better acquisition, IMO.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
That has more to do with the role each player is expected to fill. Regin is more versatile depth; Pirri needs to be in a scoring role to be effective, but Chicago is already loaded with offensive talent, so he has no place to play.

I don't think he would be immediately dominant with us (or anyone), but he's a talented player with lots of room to grow in the NHL. I think the Hawks will trade him to a true seller in the East for a good piece in return to bolster the lineup for a run at a repeat.

Between Pirri and Gagner, though, Gagner would be the better acquisition, IMO.

Really.. I guess the safe bet would be take the guy who is in the NHL already and the bigger name..

I would rather take a chance on a young prospect who is ready for the NHL over a guy who has under achieved and is now being moved.

Curious what is your argument for Gagner?

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
well all the people who think it is unrealistic for a team to give up its top prospect in a desperate attempt to make and win in the playoffs need to not cheer for Filip Forsberg. EVER.

The Tampa fan right now is looking at Johnson as their top center for a bit. No concrete date on Stamkos. Fillipula out another month. It works in the east just like the west at this point. A 4-5 game skid and you could be done. Tampa is itching to get back in the playoffs. They want to do right by their vets. A top 6 center for a kid in juniors is not the worst gamble.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
well all the people who think it is unrealistic for a team to give up its top prospect in a desperate attempt to make and win in the playoffs need to not cheer for Filip Forsberg. EVER.

Come on. As good as Forsberg is and as crazy as that trade was, Drouin was drafted at #3 just 8 months ago. Forsberg was drafted later and was falling down the draft list at the time. Also, Erat wasn't a UFA and was historically better than Legwand. Not cheer for Forsberg ever?

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville

The Tampa fan right now is looking at Johnson as their top center for a bit. No concrete date on Stamkos. Fillipula out another month. It works in the east just like the west at this point. A 4-5 game skid and you could be done. Tampa is itching to get back in the playoffs. They want to do right by their vets. A top 6 center for a kid in juniors is not the worst gamble.

It's not unrealistic for a team to give up a top prospect for a trade deadline boost.

But that particular Drouin for Legwand trade is very unrealistic due to the parts themselves. That would be like us giving up Seth Jones for Ales Hemsky.

Also, Tyler Johnson is probably better than Legwand - once Stamkos/Filpulla get back, Legwand is a 4th liner at best. And it's the east - Tampa's not going to free fall out of playoff contention anytime soon.

I don't think the Lightning want or need Legwand, but if they did, a more realistic target would be someone like Connolly.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Stamkos and Filppula aren't supposed to miss any games. They'll be healthy once play resumes, or shortly thereafter.

Drouin would cost something like our 2014 1st + Forsberg

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I think you guys should pick up Hemsky. He needs a fresh start with a team that needs a player like him in the top 6.
I doubt it would even cost that much. I'm surprised the Preds haven't tried before honestly.
Also I think he'd be resign-able at a reasonable rate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad