Music: under-rated or older music artist you think others should know about

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Tried to figure out wording for this thread--but never got it right--so sorry of the title is off putting or confusing

two artist that I think others should know about

1--Harry Chapin

He died in a car crash in 1981--but his influence led to what Bob Geldof did for live aid--he is most famous for Taxi and Cats in the cradle but he has far better songs

here are 3

Mr Tanner

Better Place to be

I wanna learn a love song

Taxi and its sequel

Harry Chapin - All 14 minutes of Taxi & Sequel

she's always 17

Harry Chapin- She Is Always Seventeen

the banana song

Harry Chapin - 30,000 Pounds Of Bananas - 10/21/1978 - Capitol Theatre (Official)

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I thought about Slade---but here in the UK they are well known

my top Slade songs

run run away

Bang in Man

rock and roll preacher

fun fact

Noddy Holder has a discussion about joining ACDC after Bon Scotts death--but he was Slade's manager and co wrote all their songs--the young brothers did not want to share the power and they moved on from Noddy--but it was after the discussion that Noddy changed how Slade looked

Reactions: kook10

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Glam in general is underappreciated here - Slade and The Sweet, Mud, T Rex, even Roy Wood/Wizzard. It's too bad for the Glitter band that Gary is the scum of the earth as well. They had such a good sound.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Generally, the stuff that I'm most impressed by are usually already widely recognized (albeit usually on the stranger and more alienating side of that company). I guess the least revered/famous musician with albums highest up on my list of favorites would be Jon Hassell. IMO, he's made a few brilliant albums that I think should have him on equal standing to Terry Riley/Steve Reich.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Tried to figure out wording for this thread--but never got it right--so sorry of the title is off putting or confusing

two artist that I think others should know about

1--Harry Chap

He died in a car crash in 1981--but his influence led to what Bob Geldof did for live aid--he is most famous for Taxi and Cats in the cradle but he has far better songs

here are 3

Mr Tanner

Better Place to be

I wanna learn a love song

Taxi and its sequel

Harry Chapin - All 14 minutes of Taxi & Sequel

she's always 17

Harry Chapin- She Is Always Seventeen

the banana song

Harry Chapin - 30,000 Pounds Of Bananas - 10/21/1978 - Capitol Theatre (Official)

To me "Cats in the Cradle" is one of the greatest folk rock songs ever

amj h

Apr 11, 2018
Chet Baker, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Lester Young and a ton of other JAZZ guys and gals.

Men at Work.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
bLiNd, a trance/EDM remixer of video game music with several of his own compositions. Most famous for probably the best video game music remix of all time:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Moxy:

Also, whenever I see discussion of the big hard rock bands from the early 70s, I almost never see the name Uriah Heep. They were great.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
A metric ton of black gospel quartets from the '40s-'50s. The Sensational Nightingales, Dixie Hummingbirds, Blind Boys of Alabama, Blind Boys of Mississippi, Soul Stirrers, Swan Silvertones...these groups made music of great power, emotion, and imagination that most music snobs still know very little about. Sam Cooke was the lead singer of the Soul Stirrers (where he did his best stuff) before he went secular, and he arguably wasn't even in the top handful of the best singers the genre had to offer.

These were the cats that Al Green, James Brown, Ray Charles, and Wilson Pickett looked up to and emulated, but never bettered.

Reactions: Xelebes

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
If Land of Talk had been around in the 90's, in the glory days of Much Music, they would have been as big or bigger than Our Lady Pease, I Mother Earth, etc...

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Sweet Trip was a band from San Francisco that formed in the mid 90's. The main members are Roby Burgos on vocal, instrumental, programming, and songwriting duties and Valerie Reyes on lead vocals. The band never grew to be popular and their music is only starting to gain traction now on internet communities like /mu/ and RateYourMusic. I think Roby works as a software engineer or something now. They released three studio albums as a band.

Halica: Bliss Out v.11 combines shoegazey guitars and vocals with IDM drum patterns and synths for an ethereal and somehow relaxing listen.

velocity:design:comfort. is far more ambitious, and probably my favourite album. This album is so intricately produced that I am still noticing cool things in these songs after hearing them countless times. The mix of glitchy IDM, noisy shoegaze and Stereolab-esque vocals make this a one of a kind record. If you're a fan of experimental music I would give this a listen.

You Will Never Know Why is much more stripped back indie pop with an electronic edge to it. It's a more focused album than their previous two but the relative safeness of their sound makes it less interesting imo.

Reactions: Amerika

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Sweet Trip was a band from San Francisco that formed in the mid 90's. The main members are Roby Burgos on vocal, instrumental, programming, and songwriting duties and Valerie Reyes on lead vocals. The band never grew to be popular and their music is only starting to gain traction now on internet communities like /mu/ and RateYourMusic. I think Roby works as a software engineer or something now. They released three studio albums as a band.

Halica: Bliss Out v.11 combines shoegazey guitars and vocals with IDM drum patterns and synths for an ethereal and somehow relaxing listen.

velocity:design:comfort. is far more ambitious, and probably my favourite album. This album is so intricately produced that I am still noticing cool things in these songs after hearing them countless times. The mix of glitchy IDM, noisy shoegaze and Stereolab-esque vocals make this a one of a kind record. If you're a fan of experimental music I would give this a listen.

You Will Never Know Why is much more stripped back indie pop with an electronic edge to it. It's a more focused album than their previous two but the relative safeness of their sound makes it less interesting imo.

Will check this out! Where should I start?

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
^^^^^Crenshaw also played John Lennon in an early production of Beatlemania. Buddy Holly and early Lennon are two major influences and Crenshaw's best holds its own with those guys. Good pick.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere

Those who just know Rick Springfield as "Jessie's Girl" and other big hits of the 80's should check out his post "peak" stuff:

Karma-1999
Alive-2001
Shock/Denial/Anger/Acceptance-2004
The Day After Yesterday-2005
Venus In Overdrive-2008
Songs For the End Of The World-2012
Rocket Science-2016
The Snake King-2018

He also tours constantly and puts on a wildly entertaining show and looks nothing like 68 years-old. Just a recommendation. He was heavily featured in Sound City (The Grohl doc) and has a killer song on that soundtrack.

He also still acts (Californication, True Detective 2, Supernatural, other stuff).

My Best-Carey

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Easily The Call.

...with many more hits. They were 80's new wave band, but flew under the radar due to the amount of amazing 80's content which was being released. There was just so many that not everywhere could've been famous, even though The Call had a pretty successful career themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad