Music: under-rated or older music artist you think others should know about

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Definitely Stereolab. Vintage sounds, excellent musicianship and beautiful melodies. Weird as f***.

Reactions: Mikey 48

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I'm a big fan of Bill Withers.

I absolutely love this song.

I'm a big fiend of New Wave and there's many artists and bands that never really got their due in the U.S. even if they were huge overseas. Gary Numan and Thomas Dolby are usually called one hit wonders yet they're two of the most influential artists of electronic music.

I'm a huge Oingo Boingo fan and the only reason anyone seems to remember them is because of their songs on movie soundtracks. I'm crushed that I'll never get to see them live since Danny Elfman doesn't want to damage his ears any further doing rock music when he can keep composing.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
John Denver was a phenomenal talent. The Wildlife concert is probably my favorite live CD/DVD.

My Best-Carey

Denver was good and he falls into the category of the carpenters --where he was just too good for his own good and was viewed as 70's middle of the road music--both are far better then that--but get lumped into that category

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Definitely Stereolab. Vintage sounds, excellent musicianship and beautiful melodies. Weird as ****.
Similar tangent:

I don't remember ever seeing Bardo Pond mentioned on here, which always surprised me considering how keen this board is on shoegaze/psychedelic/indie/90's. They have an extensive catalog, and a sound that is compared to a concoction of Pink Floyd, Spacemen 3, and My Bloody Valentine; there's even a 16-minute cover of Here Come the Warm Jets out there.

Bardo Pond
Philadelphia, PA, USA
1991-present
Space rock, neo-psychedelia, shoegaze, post-rock, drone, noise rock
Favorite album: Amanita (1996)

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Last edited:

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Denver was good and he falls into the category of the carpenters --where he was just too good for his own good and was viewed as 70's middle of the road music--both are far better then that--but get lumped into that category
He reached a saturation point in the 70's with two Greatest Hits albums that were multi-platinum, an album per year, TV shows, etc., that if you didn't like the guy it probably got on your nerves. But he did own that decade.

My Best-Carey

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Shirley Bassey recorded an interesting version of the Jamaican folk standard Day-O that included the chorus from Hill and Gully Rider, a version first recorded by the British folk group The Tarriers in 1957.

It's not the 'Day-O' you're used to hearing :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Xelebes

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Along the same lines, I've always found Dub to be superior to normal Reggae, personally, and anyone who isn't familiar with them should check out pioneers like Augustus Pablo and King Tubby.

Reactions: CycloneLaunch

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Along the same lines, I've always found Dub to be superior to normal Reggae, personally, and anyone who isn't familiar with them should check out pioneers like Augustus Pablo and King Tubby.
Absolutely,Prince Jammy,Sly & Robbie,Scientist and Mad Professor are some more dub pioneers.I saw Lee Scratch Perry with Mad Professor in Victoria in the late '90s,i can't believe he still performs and lots of albums since then.Check out Bill Laswell aswell,he started Axiom records with Chris Blackwell for Island records.Bill Laswell played a huge part in fusing Dub with other music.Look in the "what are you listening to"thread.I've been posting a Laswell project daily for the last 3 months, up to 85 now.Go back to the old thread and start from the first one, see how he transcends every genre and pioneered new genre's like drum n bass and turntablism.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Absolutely,Prince Jammy,Sly & Robbie,Scientist and Mad Professor are some more dub pioneers.I saw Lee Scratch Perry with Mad Professor in Victoria in the late '90s,i can't believe he still performs and lots of albums since then.Check out Bill Laswell aswell,he started Axiom records with Chris Blackwell for Island records.Bill Laswell played a huge part in fusing Dub with other music.Look in the "what are you listening to"thread.I've been posting a Laswell project daily for the last 3 months, up to 85 now.Go back to the old thread and start from the first one, see how he transcends every genre and pioneered new genre's like drum n bass and turntablism.
Go to page 104 of the old listening to thread, thats where it starts.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Want to give a mention to Richard Thompson.

I think he tends to get overlooked at times because people still think of his as being folk when he has a much more rounded musical approach. He is just as accomplished at softer acoustic folk-rock as he is playing straight up rock.

He is one of the great guitarists of all time and imo one of the greatest song writers of all time. Its one heck of a one-two punch.

1952 Vincent Black Lightning

All Buttoned Up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad