Prospect Info: Under 25 y/o Sens Players Ranking #9

Who will be the 9th best among Sens players under 25 y/o?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I cant shake the feeling I have about hogberg being a true number 1 tender but it's really hard to not vote for Jaros who has one heck of a future here imo.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I cant shake the feeling I have about hogberg being a true number 1 tender but it's really hard to not vote for Jaros who has one heck of a future here imo.
I still think it's Norris, but I agree with the Jaros part. A super good comparable for him IMO is Mattias Ekholm. At 22, he's having a very similar year to Ekholm's 23 year old season. I actually do see him being a very potential long-term partner for Chabot/Brannstrom. Especially with the right coaching.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I still think it's Norris, but I agree with the Jaros part. A super good comparable for him IMO is Mattias Ekholm. At 22, he's having a very similar year to Ekholm's 23 year old season. I actually do see him being a very potential long-term partner for Chabot/Brannstrom. Especially with the right coaching.

Ekholm might be the ceiling, but that's high praise if we're hoping that's what Jaros turns into. I mean there was some early Norris talk for Ekholm at one point, I really like Jaros but I don't see that kind of upside (granted, if he plays with Chabot long-term that would certianly help his case).

Also, if we're talking about surprises, the fact that Daccord has 1 vote while Hogberg/Gustavsson/Mandolese have 7 votes caught my eye.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
This is where it starts getting really tough imo.

Lots if similarly ranked guys with similar floors and ceilings.

I'm going with Norris because he was beasting up until he got injured (PPG+ and 10 goals in 17 games). Would have been a finalist for the Hobey Baker too. I think, kind of like Tkachuk after we drafted him, he's being underrated because people think he doesn't have enough skill but he's a gamer and plays the most important position.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Especially with his mobility and his outlets. And no ups and then Harpur-like downs, so he's figuring it out.

Plus, from what I recall he had a decent shot, so there might be some offence there at some point.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Okay, Paul over Tierney!!? I don’t know about you but if Paul ever hit 46 points like Tierney has so far this season i’d be flying over the moon. Tierney RIGHT NOW is the player we can only hope Paul turns into.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Okay, Paul over Tierney!!? I don’t know about you but if Paul ever hit 46 points like Tierney has so far this season i’d be flying over the moon. Tierney RIGHT NOW is the player we can only hope Paul turns into.

Paul doesn't have any votes?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Unusual as to how forgotten Formenton has become either due to the new prospects, or people souring on him.

Reactions: aragorn

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Unusual as to how forgotten Formenton has become either due to the new prospects, or people souring on him.

Are people actually souring on him? Hadn't seen anything personally.

I think it's just a matter of other players joining the organization since we last did this and some guys taking a leap forward. (Granted, I'm kind of assuming he gets voted in next, if he slips much further you may have a point).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tierny has 46 pts in Ottawa this season, second in scoring behind Chabot & he only has 7 votes to be the 9th best player in this poll. JBD & Norris haven't played a minute in the NHL & have more votes. There is something definitely wrong with all this.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Are people actually souring on him? Hadn't seen anything personally.

I think it's just a matter of other players joining the organization since we last did this and some guys taking a leap forward. (Granted, I'm kind of assuming he gets voted in next, if he slips much further you may have a point).
I guess. It used to be the third of fourth name mentioned, and maybe people are used to hearing his name the last few years.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Tierny has 46 pts in Ottawa this season, second in scoring behind Chabot & he only has 7 votes to be the 9th best player in this poll. JBD & Norris haven't played a minute in the NHL & have more votes. There is something definitely wrong with all this.

I feel like this has been covered in every single one of these threads, but I think most people are going off pure potential. If that's the case we honestly might have 10-15 guys with a higher top end than Tierney (which is great news for the future).

Personally, I'm gonna vote for him as one of my next two off the board because I've been weighing potential vs chance to reach it, but I don't think it's insane to see him this low given that he's probably more of a tweener than legitimate top-six guy.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I guess. It used to be the third of fourth name mentioned, and maybe people are used to hearing his name the last few years.

He was 6th in the prospect rankings last time we did this. The only guys to have jumped him (so far anyways) are JBD and Wolanin, while Brannstrom and Norris were traded for since then and (imo anyways) are both better than AF. If he falls a few more spots I think you'll have a point, but assuming he and Tierney go in the next two he won't have tumbled as far as the optics make it seem. We just have a really nice, deep pool of youngsters now and I think it's normal for a guy with a (perceived) slightly lower ceiling to fall a bit.

Reactions: Xspyrit

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Formemton missing the world juniors definitely hurt his stock, then the step forward offensively we expected hasn’t been there this season. I haven’t soured on him, he just hasn’t progressed like the other prospects in the system have and he has been leapfrogged.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Formemton missing the world juniors definitely hurt his stock, then the step forward offensively we expected hasn’t been there this season. I haven’t soured on him, he just hasn’t progressed like the other prospects in the system have and he has been leapfrogged.
I don't mean to pick on you but would like to use this post as an example if that is okay with you?

Formenton has only played 31 games this yr because of that injury he suffered in the WJC & has still managed to put up 34 pts, more than a PPG. To me this is another example similar to Brown who was also injured at the beginning of the season & people souring on him because he wasn't producing. People simply don't know how difficult it is to come back from injury & how long it takes to catch up to the speed of the game & more importantly to get back the timing & find chemistry with other players.

In both cases with Formenton & Brown they have both come back strong after injuries & are helping their teams win games. It was difficult to send Formenton back to junior last yr & IMO it will be even more difficult next yr, unless he gets caught in the numbers game at the beginning of the yr. And it won't hurt him to go to Belleville for a few months or until the trade deadline when Ott gets rid of a few more older players & makes some roster room.

Reactions: coladin

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I don't mean to pick on you but would like to use this post as an example if that is okay with you?

Formenton has only played 31 games this yr because of that injury he suffered in the WJC & has still managed to put up 34 pts, more than a PPG. To me this is another example similar to Brown who was also injured at the beginning of the season & people souring on him because he wasn't producing. People simply don't know how difficult it is to come back from injury & how long it takes to catch up to the speed of the game & more importantly to get back the timing & find chemistry with other players.

In both cases with Formenton & Brown they have both come back strong after injuries & are helping their teams win games. It was difficult to send Formenton back to junior last yr & IMO it will be even more difficult next yr, unless he gets caught in the numbers game at the beginning of the yr. And it won't hurt him to go to Belleville for a few months or until the trade deadline when Ott gets rid of a few more older players & makes some roster room.
This list looks at players under 25. So if we’re doing a prospect list and Formenton does get listed on THIS list after Norris, he would still be Ottawa’s 6th best prospect according to this poll since Chabot, Tkachuk, White and I’m going to include Wolanin have graduated.
That’s right about where most had him at the start of the season.
He’s PROBABLY never going to be an offensive player in the NHL and I hope that no-one on this board expects that because you’ll bound to be disappointed.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Regarding Jaros, I’m kind of surprised we haven’t seen more hits from him. He was almost overagressive in open ice during rookie tournaments in the past going for huge hits.

I hope it’s an aspect of his game that develops some more as he gains confidence.

Reactions: topshelf15

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

No, it just means that people are not getting caught in the "proven" trap. This exercise is about projecting NHL players. If not, why would Brannstrom be voted so high?

Most people understand that Tierney, while having a great season, is benefiting from a golden opportunity that probably won't happen again, except maybe next season where he might/should be shopped around. I really doubt he gets played in the top-6 of another team. Look at his production with the Sharks, he looks like a good 3rd liner around Pageau level. Maybe better offensively (playmaking only) but not as fast and good defensively. Also, he doesn't have the shot of a top-6 forward

The fact that we envision 9 players to be better is good news but if there's more guys ending up better that's even better news. Tierney can't be one of our 6 best forwards in 2 years, or we're in trouble. It's a bit reminiscent of thinking that Zack Smith is a bonafide top-6 forward because he scored 25 goals once in a season where the context was particular.

I feel like this has been covered in every single one of these threads, but I think most people are going off pure potential. If that's the case we honestly might have 10-15 guys with a higher top end than Tierney (which is great news for the future).

Also this

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Regarding Jaros, I’m kind of surprised we haven’t seen more hits from him. He was almost overagressive in open ice during rookie tournaments in the past going for huge hits.

I hope it’s an aspect of his game that develops some more as he gains confidence.
Agreed ,his physical edge is a much needed component on a skilled but somewhat soft potential looking top 4

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Interesting. We've got a guy about to score 50 points in the NHL this year and he's not even close to winning the vote for 9th best under 25. Looks unlikely to be top 10 by the looks of it. I'm not even saying it's wrong, in fact I think I agree with it. It's just weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad