• ALEX FORMENTON

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This has been done 2 years ago, so I'm once again asking people to take position and vote for who you think will end up the best player "when all is said and done". All factors have to be taken into account (skill, skating, shooting, hockey sense/IQ, potential, likelihood of reaching it, development curve, age, leadership, size/strength, physicality, etc)

Ask yourself this question :

Who among this pool of players would I draft BPA? It's basically an organizational RE-DRAFT of all players under 25 y/o. Who are our most important assets, in order?

Under 25 y/o Sens Players 2021 Ranking

1-
2-
3-
4-

5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-

2019 Ranking :

Prospect Info: - Under 25 y/o Sens Players Ranking #18b

Reactions: TheDebater

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Tim Stutzle no question. He will be a superstar. Chabot can come close as he will be recognized as a top 5 D during our contending years, and if Stutzle remains wing then Chabot will be the better player. Tkachuk and Sanderson could be argued as more valuable players if they reach their peak.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I like Chabot but I get the feeling people overvalued him after his strong sophomore year.

I don't see him as being clear cut ahead of Stützle or Sanderson long term, and think Stü has the highest upside.

I guess I have seen flashy players not reach their potential (e.g. Maxim Afinogenov) whereas I think Chabot's current level of play is sufficient to make a stacked Team Canada.

For the record, I think Stutzle's work ethic and competitiveness is a point in his favour, but there is still a lingering doubt.

I don't think any of the three necessarily stand out relative to each other in terms of long-term ceiling, but it's also interesting that they are three very different players so direct comparisons are difficult.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like Chabot but I get the feeling people overvalued him after his strong sophomore year.

I don't see him as being clear cut ahead of Stützle or Sanderson long term, and think Stü has the highest upside.

Fair enough but ... More ifs and projection required .. Chabot is their best player right now .. and he is really good.. the other guys have to catch and pass him.. Lots of things can happen.. maybe they pass him but they both have a ways to go at the NHL level. Not out of the question for sure but also not a given.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I voted Brady but I guess it depends on how you value the players for this poll.

While the term "best player" is subjective...and maybe Brady won't lead the team in points each year, but his impact on all areas of the game including the players around him and his opponents is why I chose him.

Brady is a unicorn in the NHL.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I voted Brady but I guess it depends on how you value the players for this poll.

While the term "best player" is subjective...and maybe Brady won't lead the team in points each year, but his impact on all areas of the game including the players around him and his opponents is why I chose him.

You can certainly make a case for Brady. I think his case will be much stronger if he performs in the playoffs along the lines of expectations.

Someone like Brayden Point is valued much more highly given his post-season heroics.

Reactions: DJB

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Voted Chabot but wouldnt be shocked if Timmy overtook him next season. Its ever evolving.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I guess I have seen flashy players not reach their potential (e.g. Maxim Afinogenov) whereas I think Chabot's current level of play is sufficient to make a stacked Team Canada.

For the record, I think Stutzle's work ethic and competitiveness is a point in his favour, but there is still a lingering doubt.

I don't think any of the three necessarily stand out relative to each other in terms of long-term ceiling, but it's also interesting that they are three very different players so direct comparisons are difficult.

Fair enough but ... More ifs and projection required .. Chabot is their best player right now .. and he is really good.. the other guys have to catch and pass him.. Lots of things can happen.. maybe they pass him but they both have a ways to go at the NHL level. Not out of the question for sure but also not a given.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Stützle, but he could just as easily become the next Drouin rather than the next MacKinnon, so I get the appeal of going the safer path with Chabot.

That said I think it's pretty great that we have three or four guys that you could make a strong case for, Sanderson and Tkachuk both give Chabot and Stützle some healthy competition and depending on what flavour you like anyone of them could fit the subjective definition of best.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I went with Norris. What he did as a pure AHL rookie and pure NHL rookie are nothing short of astonishing. Imagine when he gets stronger, faster, wiser and date Genie Bouchard how much better he will be by 25

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
"safer route" vs "projection"

We still have to make a decision. Of course, we're just fans so this is for fun but scouts and NHL staff have to make that kind of decisions all the time, particularly at the draft table.

That's how the Sens decided to draft Shane Pinto instead of Arthur Kaliyev for example. Even outside of the draft table, you could think that Mika Zibanejad doesn't have another level to reach or that you can "afford" to trade Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat...

Projection in the NHL is key. Let's practice!

For the first time in a long time, I had to look at this and really think. There's a lot of choices. Feels really good to have this depth. Interesting poll this year for sure.

I was pondering between Stutzle and Chabot, but also had in mind Sanderson... I have some kind of gut feeling that he might end as our most important player, which would be amazing.

Maybe some rounds will be easier to vote but I expect most to be hard decisions. We have seen what several of these guys can do, we had some glimpses. We still have to project for many of them. Then, there's guys that you can think "yeah but what about when he finally plays on a good team?", like Chabot for example

Bergeron never needed to lead his team in points (however he did twice IIRC) to be their most important player. Overall impact and how much the player contribute to winning is what make players "good". Points are important too because they are tangible productivity.

So it really depends. For example, if Tkachuk scores ~60 pts and Stutzle ~90 pts, Jimmy's overall game would have to be really poor to take Tkachuk over him.

Reactions: DJB

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Jack Eichel ;).

Once you put the pipe away, with Anaheim being the front runner on Jack, we have Süperstar who will be an elite forward in the league by 25. The older Chabot is the team's MVP today, followed closely by Brady Tkachuk (the defacto leader). So many good options for #1, went with Stützle.

Last edited:

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Based on the criteria set by the thread creator, it was an easy Stutzle for me. Now whether or not he reaches his potential is a whole other story but if I am G.M, then Timmy is my most prized prospect.

I will cheat a bit here and give my top 5 in order of value/importance to the team:

1. Stutzle
2. Chabot
3. Tkachuk
4. Sanderson
5. Norris

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Chabot is obviously the safe choice, but I think Sanderson could easily be #1.

I'd go:

Chabot
Sanderson
Tkachuk
Stutzle

I think Stutzle is easily the most talented of the big 4, but I also think the other 3 are far more complete players.

I'd even go as far as to say that we have a big 3, and that Stutzle and Norris round out the big 5.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Chabot is obviously the safe choice, but I think Sanderson could easily be #1.

I'd go:

Chabot
Sanderson
Tkachuk
Stutzle

I think Stutzle is easily the most talented of the big 4, but I also think the other 3 are far more complete players.

I'd even go as far as to say that we have a big 3, and that Stutzle and Norris round out the big 5.

The only reason Stutzle looks like less of a "complete player" than guys like Chabot and Tkachuk is because he is a rookie who needed more time to adjust to the NHL game, which is unfair to judge him by.

Look at him as a player before coming to the NHL, the guy is the definition of a "complete" player; elite offensive talent, captain of the german team, throws hits, plays a gritty style, playmaker, shooter, back-checks when necessary, plays all over the ice etc.

Once he matures a bit more physically and gains that "man strength", he is going to be absolutely dominant.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The only reason Stutzle looks like less of a "complete player" than guys like Chabot and Tkachuk is because he is a rookie who needed more time to adjust to the NHL game, which is unfair to judge him by.

Look at him as a player before coming to the NHL, the guy is the definition of a "complete" player; elite offensive talent, captain of the german team, throws hits, plays a gritty style, playmaker, shooter, back-checks when necessary, plays all over the ice etc.

Once he matures a bit more physically and gains that "man strength", he is going to be absolutely dominant.

Norris was a rookie too, and he looked waaaay more complete.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Some high scoring forwards never become complete players & coaches manage their ice time to assure they don't hurt the team defensively. We see it all the time, Dadonov IMO is a skilled player who I think is a liability defensively but there are also defensive players who are liabilities or much less effective in the offensive zone. A complete player is great in all zones like Mark Stone, Bergeron, Crosby, ROR & others who rarely take a shift off, these are my preferred kind of players.

Does anyone think how the players are listed influence how people vote, maybe the best players should be in the middle as opposed to the top of the list?

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad