Post-Game Talk: UNDEFEATED!!!! Habs win 3-2

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Only 3 players on the team had more than 18 goals last year, and you think that DLR could do better in his first season, he who had problems producing in Sweden? Galchenyuk and Eller have more offrensive upside and more experience than DLR and neither reach 15 goals last season...

My belief is given the same opportunities Gio had last year with regards to icetime PP start etc.
DLR could score 15 goals... I watch him and see someone who knows where to be on the ice.
If given time to adjust to NA rinks and NHL speed i have complete faith in his hockey sense taking over.
Is it not reasonable to believe that if you keep playing him with more talented individuals his strengths will come forth? We keep looking for the flashy player but it is far more complex than that.

I should add a disclaimer if he plays with intensity...

Last edited:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I'd have to disagree. Thomas is a pure goal scorer and, with the way he plays, a threat to score both on the PP and at even strength (not saying he's fully capable, just stylistically). Pacioretty is the only real "finisher" on the team at this point in time and that's a big reason why our offence is so unproductive. If he can show that he can score at the pro level, he's absolutely got a spot on the team - smallish size or no.

If Thomas plays fearlessly, and the Rangers can find a spot for Zuccarello, then the team can probably find a spot for Thomas if it turns out that no other player brings the kind of scoring that he does. I understand that we already have two small forwards, but there is a threshold on scoring prowess at which point the team will make room, especially if he skates well and eludes checks in the way that Zucc does. Of course, this is made feasible by the departure of Gionta and Bouillon; I don't know what this threshold is, but for the sake of argument, let's suggest that Thomas has 30 goals in him... What then? It's worth considering that 30 is above that threshold, especially if he is inserted selectively and rested against some physical teams.

This is a team that scores as a committee, so it has to consider all options.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
If Thomas plays fearlessly, and the Rangers can find a spot for Zuccarello, then the team can probably find a spot for Thomas if it turns out that no other player brings the kind of scoring that he does. I understand that we already have two small forwards, but there is a threshold on scoring prowess at which point the team will make room, especially if he skates well and eludes checks in the way Zucc does.

I would be ok to make room for a small and speedy player who can score 30+ goals a year. It is only my opinion and it's worth what it's worth, but I doubt Thomas could become more than a 20 goals scorer. He's not "afraid", but he remains a perimeter player easy to knock of the puck and unidimensionnal. Therefore I would prefer a more complete player, bigger, even if he just scores 15 goals. Because such player may produce less goals than Thomas, but could allow players like Galchenyuk, Eller, Gallagher and co to be even more productive.

morgan_mtl

Apr 1, 2008
Montreal
Was not really sure where to ask it so i'll just ask it here. I was wondering if any of you know where to look up what a young player needs to do to recieve their bonus that would be applied to the salary cap of the following year. With talk of so many young players possibly making the team in the coming years I would like to know what Galchenyuk needs to do this season to received that 2.3 million?

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
I'd have to disagree. Thomas is a pure goal scorer and, with the way he plays, a threat to score both on the PP and at even strength (not saying he's fully capable, just stylistically). Pacioretty is the only real "finisher" on the team at this point in time and that's a big reason why our offence is so unproductive. If he can show that he can score at the pro level, he's absolutely got a spot on the team - smallish size or no.

If Thomas puts it in the net with regularity, a spot will be found for him. No doubt about it.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Tinordi is going back to Hamilton. I doubt highly he beats out Beaulieu

Tinordi had a hot and cold game. At times, he looked a bit rushed.

Beaulieu has himself been rather underwhelming since camp began. He has done precious little to win the spot. The race is not over.

Pateryn has thus far proved to be the most ready of the three. Unfortunately, he plays the RHS where no one presently needed.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Tinordi had a hot and cold game. At times, he looked a bit rushed.

Beaulieu has himself been rather underwhelming since camp began. He has done precious little to win the spot. The race is not over.

Pateryn has thus far proved to be the most ready of the three. Unfortunately, he plays the RHS where no one presently needed.

Lets not say no one is presently needed. Im not sure weaver is conditioned enough to play 82 games he will probably need some rest days.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
866717796.gif

That looks bad.

... and like bad luck.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Tinordi's remaining shortcomings aren't "alarming" (yet), but it starts to be worrysome.

While moving quite well with or without the puck in certain contexts, his feet agility in thight space is below average. He still looks like an average junior player while pivoting on one side, and he's still below average at reading the ice and the play when the other team is entering the zone.

At 24, if he doesn't fix these issues pretty soon, the only solution would be to simplify his game, playing lower and moving the puck by the ramps more often. Then he would become nothing more than a stay-at-home #6-#7 d-man.

And we should not forget that being 24 with remainings important shortcomings means that 50 games into the AHL season, some younger d-men may overpassed him in the depthchart. Like Bournival was risking of loosing his spot because of upcoming talented kids, Tinordi may very well find himself fighting with Dietz, Thrower and Bennett next year.

Danny Dubé was saying Tinordi has some technical flaws that he still hasn't corrected since his first training camp, especially in the way he handles the puck.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Danny Dubé was saying Tinordi has some technical flaws that he still hasn't corrected since his first training camp, especially in the way he handles the puck.

Dube is generally pretty astute.
Did he point out what the flaws were or is he holding the club for ransom ? :laugh:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Tinordi's remaining shortcomings aren't "alarming" (yet), but it starts to be worrysome.

While moving quite well with or without the puck in certain contexts, his feet agility in thight space is below average. He still looks like an average junior player while pivoting on one side, and he's still below average at reading the ice and the play when the other team is entering the zone.

At 24, if he doesn't fix these issues pretty soon, the only solution would be to simplify his game, playing lower and moving the puck by the ramps more often. Then he would become nothing more than a stay-at-home #6-#7 d-man.

And we should not forget that being 24 with remainings important shortcomings means that 50 games into the AHL season, some younger d-men may overpassed him in the depthchart. Like Bournival was risking of loosing his spot because of upcoming talented kids, Tinordi may very well find himself fighting with Dietz, Thrower and Bennett next year.

Tinordi is 22 not 24.

I agree it's a big yea for him. Not his last chance, but it's at a point where he needs to look like an NHLer against NHLers. Given the typeof player he is I think he still needs 2-3 years before his prime.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Did he point out what the flaws were or is he holding the club for ransom ? :laugh:

He explained the mistake he does when he receives a pass. It's weird to explain though but basically, if I remember correctly, the way he positions himself and his stick when receiving a pass make him vulnerable when there's forecheck on him. I wonder if it's possible to listen to it on 98,5 website. It was pretty interesting, not the type of insight you hear on TV by the likes of Michel Bergeron and other hacks that shouldn't have a job.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Lets not say no one is presently needed. Im not sure weaver is conditioned enough to play 82 games he will probably need some rest days.

In the last 5 years, weaver has played

77/82
82/82
82/82
27/48
72/82

I doubt conditioning will be a problem. We'll have injuries though.

BPD Habs Fan

Power of Positivity
Jul 2, 2014
Alexandria, Ontario
Not sure where to ask this so I'll ask it here as there seemed to be some conversation about cube.

What would he get realistically on a 1 year contract? I'm thinking in the 1 to 1.5 million range. Maybe we could get a crowdfunding campaign going and pay him more to stay home? (serious question as I know jack about crowdfunding)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He explained the mistake he does when he receives a pass. It's weird to explain though but basically, if I remember correctly, the way he positions himself and his stick when receiving a pass make him vulnerable when there's forecheck on him. I wonder if it's possible to listen to it on 98,5 website. It was pretty interesting, not the type of insight you hear on TV by the likes of Michel Bergeron and other hacks that shouldn't have a job.

Never listen to any of those guys....

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Not sure where to ask this so I'll ask it here as there seemed to be some conversation about cube.

What would he get realistically on a 1 year contract? I'm thinking in the 1 to 1.5 million range. Maybe we could get a crowdfunding campaign going and pay him more to stay home? (serious question as I know jack about crowdfunding)

You'll have an easier time building a campaign to make sure he stays home

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Here you go guys...if you were interested to hear it....in french only....obviously.

http://www.985fm.ca/lecteur/audio/le-commentaire-de-dany-dube-quelle-marche-doivent-240618.mp3

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Here you go guys...if you were interested to hear it....in french only....obviously.

http://www.985fm.ca/lecteur/audio/le-commentaire-de-dany-dube-quelle-marche-doivent-240618.mp3

Very Good Dany. :handclap:

I can't believe i heard someone talking about stick length and lie...
I've expressed that same thought more than once over the years people just laughed at me.
Pouliotte was one I felt needed a few inches off his stick whoch would require a different lie.
I think Eller is another but to a lesser degree than POO POO.

i just realized how much i miss Dube's insight.
I don't listen to any radio and as far as TV goes well I like Marc Denis... :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think RDS should broadcast all Habs practices so we can evaluate

Can you imagine...:laugh:

Look at RB that lazy ***}%#
Pretends to cut a lace just as the skating drills commence...

Wouldn't surprise me if they'd get a sizeable audience for that. Already, you have fans going to the Bell Centre during the playoffs to watch Habs away games on a screen, or fans showing up at Complexe Sportif Bell in Brossard just to watch scrimmages or meaningless intra-squad games. 98.5 FM with year-round hockey, 2 all sports franco stations prioritizing the Habs and in the summer months, who can do away with Habs players on the links or playing street hockey. :sarcasm:

Of course, the practice thing on TV could never happen in real life but that's far from the point -- there is no apparent limit to people's hunger for anything Habs-related.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad