UND vs Team USA Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
s7ark said:
To anyone that saw this game. How did Matt Greene look? I am curious to see how he stacks up against the best offense the USA can put together.

I know the final was 3-0 but I expected the US team to win here, so no real surprise. So any report on Greene would be great :)

thx

Matt Greene and Matt Jones both played very well. You can tell they're both more physically mature than most of the U.S. players and they played like it. Andy Schneider also played well. The rest of the ND defense was getting victimized IMO. Several of the U.S. players were able to drive wide and create some quality scoring chances.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
aragorn said:
How did Shawn Weller play?

He was used mainly on the 4th line with Mike Brown and Jake Dowell/Phil Kessel. I didn't notice him a ton, but when I did, it was when he was banging along the boards, and with his size and strength, he was pretty successful at that.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The players that stood out the most to me in this game for the U.S. were Fritsche, Suter, Lee, O'Sullivan, and Stafford. Fritsche and Stafford used their considerable size and strength to create havoc in the offensive zone, and O'Sullivan was dangerous with the puck all game long. Suter was a rock on defense, and Brian Lee was surprisingly good. He didn't get beat one-on-one once, and made some passes.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dan Galvin said:
How was Schremp?

The play-by-play guys liked him quite-a-bit, although IMO, they don't really have an accurate understanding of his style of play. One time they said he reminded them of Claude Lemieux! Schremp played on a couple differant lines, and while he didn't generate a ton of chances, was used on all situations and did well. He did unleash his shot a few times and just missed. He still has nice chemistry with O'Sullivan, and that showed on the PP.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
JasonMacIsaac said:
How did Zajac look? I asked it on the other board but they are Sioux fans, an unbiased opinion would paint a better picture.

To be honest, I didn't notice him a ton. ND, while cycling the puck well and having a ton of PP chances, didn't really generate alot of quality scoring chances. Zajac had a few shots, but they went wide, and his name wasn't mentioned a whole lot. The ND players that stood out to me were Greene and Jones.

chicpea*

I'm curious, RR, who was taking the bulk of the penalties for the US? Or were they spread around?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
chicpea said:
I'm curious, RR, who was taking the bulk of the penalties for the US? Or were they spread around?

It wasn't one guy in particular. Shoot, one of the penalities was on Likens because he was playing without his helmet. I thought most of the calls (on both sides) were of the ticky tack type.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:
I don't know how RR feels...but I feel MUCH better about Brian Lee in particular.

Lee played very well. He didn't look out of place at all. He actually reminds of a bigger version of Suter. Not flashy, but ALWAYS in control.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
BuppY said:
How did Ryan Callahan look?

Excellent. He's playing on the top line with Stafford and O'Sullivan. What I like about him is not only is he skilled, but he takes a beating to make a play. He reminds alot of Mark Parrish. The U.S. actually has quite a few players like Callahan: top notch scorers, but very gritty and willing to go into the trenches.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
The players that stood out the most to me in this game for the U.S. were Fritsche, Suter, Lee, O'Sullivan, and Stafford. Fritsche and Stafford used their considerable size and strength to create havoc in the offensive zone, and O'Sullivan was dangerous with the puck all game long. Suter was a rock on defense, and Brian Lee was surprisingly good. He didn't get beat one-on-one once, and made some passes.

I know we all want Brian Lee to do well and prove that he deserved a spot on this team and I didn't see the game but its sounds like a bit of a reach for you to stay he "stood out" because he didn't get beat one-on-one and he made some passes. It almost sounds like the old Chris Rock take, "I didn't go to jail.....well you aren't supossed to go to jail, I didn't beat my kids.....well you aren't supossed to beat your kids." He didn't get beat one-on-one? He isn't supossed to get beat one-on-one! He made some passes?? For the US's sake I hope the kid can make some passes. Maybe I'm being a overly critical but sounds like Lee "fit in" not "stood out." Like I said though, I didn't see the game and I could be totally out of line.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
LemonDrop_27 said:
I know we all want Brian Lee to do well and prove that he deserved a spot on this team and I didn't see the game but its sounds like a bit of a reach for you to stay he "stood out" because he didn't get beat one-on-one and he made some passes. It almost sounds like the old Chris Rock take, "I didn't go to jail.....well you aren't supossed to go to jail, I didn't beat my kids.....well you aren't supossed to beat your kids." He didn't get beat one-on-one? He isn't supossed to get beat one-on-one! He made some passes?? For the US's sake I hope the kid can make some passes. Maybe I'm being a overly critical but sounds like Lee "fit in" not "stood out." Like I said though, I didn't see the game and I could be totally out of line.

I think rather than saying that he 'stood out,' it's better to say he DIDN'T stand out..which..often...for a defenseman...is a good thing. I was pleasantly surprised, having seen the game.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I know it's just an exhibition, but I think the game today with ND exemplifies how the U.S. will play in the tournament. I think the U.S. defense will get bogged down in it's zone from time-to-time, will finish it's fair share of offensive chances, and get good goaltending and special teams.

UND was missing a bunch of players and playing their 3rd game in three nights. I hope the US won easily.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
HabLover said:
UND was missing a bunch of players and playing their 3rd game in three nights. I hope the US won easily.
They hardly did.....UND got poor goaltending while USA's goaltending were excellent. UND probably had the advantage in scoring chances, they did have 1 more shot in goal. UND also had a bunch out injured.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Mike Brown - I notice he played on the fourth line. Did he have a good game? Is he likely to be benched alternatingly, or is he a mainstay on the fourth line?

Cory Schneider - He played a little bit, I'm told.. how did he play? He didn't allow any goals, so it can't be bad.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Wow, O'Sullivan got man handled on the faceoffs last night. He was 7 for 21 on the draws. I figure Zajac was out vs him the majority of the time....he went 14 of 19 at the dot. Zajac was also on the ice for both O'Sullivan's line's goals.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
LemonDrop_27 said:

You don't think it's noteworthy that Lee didn't get beat once one-on-one and displayed excellent passing skills? Considering the jump up in the level of competition for him I think it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad