UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It makes one wonder if the CIS will ever begin investigating recruiting like the NCAA does. Credit must be given to MacDougall and co. for their recruiting means, however, upon hearing the rumblings by former players that they are receiving money to play, and the fact that UNB continues to have amazing recruits year in and year out, it leads one to being suspicious. The idea that a student-hockey player has a 'job' an is being $500 to turn off the lights at the gym is quite ludicrous and would sure be unacceptable if true.

How to troll first-time poster.

We believe in facts here and not wild, overused and outdated rumours about guys getting paid to turn on the lights. That doesn't happen at UNB, or probably any other CIS school. CIS hockey players can and do receive Athletic Financial Awards (AFA), which in essence are hockey scholarships. If they already have money for tuition from a Major Junior education package, the student-athlete can spend the AFA money on whatever they want. Its all within the rules and most teams outside of the tightwad OUA do it.

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Ouch...that one hurts more than Harty/Bailey IMO...I really thought he would be back. Such an underrated player.

Bretton said when he arrived at UNB that his goal was to get his degree in four years and then head to AHL. Well, he's got his degree with a GPA somewhere north of 4.0, and now's he's trying pro. Not AHL, yet, but following on his plan. And he's a planner, so completely expected.

sketchiness

Mar 29, 2012
How to troll first-time poster.

We believe in facts here and not wild, overused and outdated rumours about guys getting paid to turn on the lights. That doesn't happen at UNB, or probably any other CIS school. CIS hockey players can and do receive Athletic Financial Awards (AFA), which in essence are hockey scholarships. If they already have money for tuition from a Major Junior education package, the student-athlete can spend the AFA money on whatever they want. Its all within the rules and most teams outside of the tightwad OUA do it.

I admire you're 'protection' of UNB. Sit down with guys who have been through the system. Notable players. Obviously in some circumstances they are tight lipped, however, sometimes they do leak the true reasons why they are somewhere.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

This thing has been discussed in the past, but barring any concrete evidence, it is just conjecture.

If you were trying to get a rise out of someone, you partially suceeded.

Now, go back to your parent's basement.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
It makes one wonder if the CIS will ever begin investigating recruiting like the NCAA does. Credit must be given to MacDougall and co. for their recruiting means, however, upon hearing the rumblings by former players that they are receiving money to play, and the fact that UNB continues to have amazing recruits year in and year out, it leads one to being suspicious. The idea that a student-hockey player has a 'job' an is being $500 to turn off the lights at the gym is quite ludicrous and would sure be unacceptable if true.

Uh...what is the "It" that makes "one wonder"?, did I miss something here? A student athlete is entitled to work at the university as well, that is above board in addition to the articles Foyle mentioned. In my time, they filled out casual employment forms, as employees of the university. These were for jobs in the gym, front desk, even the team equipment guys. Furthermore, I fail to see why someone would be "rumbling" about earning money at university, unless rumbling means something other than what I understand. You're either crediting MacDougall or accusing him of recruiting malfeasance, which is it? No, it cannot be both.

Sit down with guys who have been through the system. Notable players.
Lastly, these two, and a few others on here have seen 1000 players through not only UNB, but the conference, no need for them to hear it from anyone.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Stamler to ECHL Colorado Eagles. Big loss.

Big loss, but not a surprise - he's really smart and an Academic All-Canadian. Certainly opening more spots for Shurtron, Kidd and Wright to step-in for more top minutes.

I thought things were going to be tough for UNB after 2009 with the exit of David Bowman, Justin Dacosta, Jimmy Cuddihy, Kevin Henderson and Rob Pearce, but looking back - we had Stamler, Harty, Friesen, Gallant and Harty (you have to count him twice because he's a forward and D). So, the talk about having 7 rookies (Todd, Shutron, Kidd, Procyshen, Layton, Fillier and Culligan) was a bit overblown because the core D were already there and they went on to win 27 games.

Then in 2010/11 I thought, well that must be it, but everyone returned and they added Desnoyers on D and MacNeil upfront. So, it shouldn't have been a surprise that they won Gold given the experience and core they had.

This year they were lucky to get Baily back, I can't image what would have happened had he not been playing - I don't see them winning 20 games. Now we move on with the biggest lose of top players since 2004/05 (Lindsay, Burgoyne, Young, Watson, Stonier, both Hegberg's and Dombkiewicz). They haven't replaced Tremblay and now Baily - I know Chris is great as well as MacNeil, but we'll need Weibe/Wudrick/Carrol/Nesbitt/Jordan/Houde/Campbell all to step-up to fill the offense void and equally talented rookies to step in on D.

As a long time fan (1985) I've seen some really bad hockey (1987/87 - UNB was 3-22-1), so anything that is a record of 500 and in the playoffs is a success and I'll be happy any way you slice it :) My son, can't relate and thinks we're doomed, history is lost on the youth.

ps. the GFA/GAA in 1987/88 was 3 to 7 - can you image - giving up an average of 7 goals every night!!

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Update from the Senior's Banquet

- Bailey should be in the lineup tomorrow when the Amerks play the Marlies. His fiance Kati was there tonight to receive his jersey and Roger Shannon read Kyle's farewell speech.

- Harty's mother Joan was there to receive his jersey and for recognition of his awards this season. Roger read his goodbye.

- Jeff Lee had a deal lined up in Texas in the Central Hockey League, but it fell apart because he played a couple of pro games between Junior and showing up at UNB. Minor pro teams can apparently only add true rookies this time of year. He expects to be in Texas in the fall.

- Bretton Stamler gave a very emotional speech, from the heart, which was surprising considering how normally he is so controlled. Bretton did have a deal lined up in Colorado, but his agent jumped the gun. St. John's (?) sent some guys down on two-way AHL-ECHL contracts and he lost his spot.As Bretton said, he's learning very quickly how slimey the pro game can be. He'll find a job somewhere, or as he says almost anywhere because he desperately wants to play the pro game and start proving himself.

- Luke Lynes was probably the longest speech, which is not surprising. Pretty funny too. He's done, although he joked that he had a year of eligibility left, so was Gardiner trying to send him a message by having him speak at Senior's night ...

- Luke Gallant was as emotional as you could expect. He's still sorry how everything ended last week. He and Christine are getting married in 99 days, and that and finishing the school year are what he's focused on right now.

- Jordan Clendenning and Dion Campbell did NOT speak as they're both hoping to be back for their 5th year - Jordan if he can get into MBA program and Dion if he can get into Education.

Forgot. Calvin Watson was there tonight. He and his family made the trip out to Fredericton for the first time since he graduated, and were at Nationals. Gardiner had him present Stamler's #24 since they shared that number. Nice touch.

Last edited:

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
I'm not going to say a word!!! ;)

Yeah, who are you trying to kid, money for playing?

Seriously, we all know the big money in the AUS/CIS is in being the video coach. I'm sure your paycheck from Steiny was just as big as the one I've been getting the past 8 years. ;)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I thought things were going to be tough for UNB after 2009 with the exit of David Bowman, Justin Dacosta, Jimmy Cuddihy, Kevin Henderson and Rob Pearce, but looking back - we had Stamler, Harty, Friesen, Gallant and Harty (you have to count him twice because he's a forward and D). So, the talk about having 7 rookies (Todd, Shutron, Kidd, Procyshen, Layton, Fillier and Culligan) was a bit overblown because the core D were already there and they went on to win 27 games.

Friesen left after the 08/09 season as well, along with Bowman and Dacosta.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
Yeah, who are you trying to kid, money for playing?

Seriously, we all know the big money in the AUS/CIS is in being the video coach. I'm sure your paycheck from Steiny was just as big as the one I've been getting the past 8 years. ;)

lol, there is zero cash in being a video coach and we all know it, even tho we are the most vital people on the coaching staff!

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Read Bill Hunt's article on the nationals in the gleaner yesterday. He mentioned what a difference maker Shayne Wiebe might have been. Wiebe was exactly what they needed in the Western game.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Year after year its hard to see the grads move on and in our mind we always say they can't be replaced, but year after year somehow we manage to get better, I don't expect that to change anytime soon, no matter who the coach is, UNB has a built tradition now, it will take a lot to stop this train. We may not always be dominant, but we've been a contending AUS team every year since our last losing season which was back in what? 1990?

We lost a lot of players after the first Nationals we hosted in 02-03 and everyone thought we missed our chance at a title on home Ice, the Next Year I think Gardiner brought in something like 10 to 12 rookies? Including Sinclair, Perry, Pearce, Johnston can't remember all the names but they were all key players in a almost national Championchip that year and were key players of the 2007 Title.

While its true baileys Heart can never be replaced and I'm sad to see him go, sometimes change isn't a bad thing, Bailey logged a lot of Minutes this year, but was still just over a point a game player like he was the previous 4 years, he wasn't really a pure point scorer and finisher, and may have been a reason the power play struggled a little bit he's just not that type of player. so Maybe the next big name centerman while he might not wear his heart on his sleeve like bailey, or care as deeply, maybe the next guy is a hennigar type guy, or a tremblay type guy, or a JS Dickson type guy, or Culligan Type guy you never know, we will certainly lose something in Bailey but we may gain something different with fresh blood

If Jordan Clendenning returns no doubt this guy should be Captain Next Season

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Unb

UNB is in very good shape up front, unless there are players who choose not to come back. I don't see that happening, but it could. Clendenning, Campbell, Todd and Nesbitt come to mind.
Bailey,Lee and Lynes are done, although Lynes still has another year of eligibility left.
Bailey is the big loss up front, but that opens up more ice for a skilled forward or two on the pp and pk. He logged a ton of ice, especially on the power play, were the team struggled to find success.
The coaching staff seemed reluctant to find another recipe on the pp and continued to go to Bailey over and over it seemed. I think recruiting some size and skill up the middle would be a priority.
It's the backend that will need serious attention. Losing Gallant, Harty, Stamler are big holes to fill.
Puck movers, with size, speed that were always tough for the opposition to play against. Especially the physical upside of Harty and Stamler. They want to hope that Wright returns!
This would leave them with Desnoyer and three other core D-men: Wright, Kidd, Shutron, who have all had difficulty staying in the lineup due to injuries. They will need depth at this position.
Corcoran is also rumored to be done. He played well and comes with size and toughness, a good depth player. We never saw enough of Chad Denny to see what kind of player he can potentially be?He does know their systems, since he spent the year here, a heavy shot, but speed would be the biggest concern for most fans. He can also play the role of a winger and has that experience at the pro-level. He should get the opportunity to play next year.
Goaltending is in good shape if Fully and Lacosta are back. If Fullerton leaves, then a goaltender is with size should be a priority.

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
My guess would be Culligan for the captaincy next season...can't see them appointing a guy for one year and then having to reappoint for the group the following season. Jordan is an acknowledged leader and doesn't need the C to indicate it. Culligan will be going into his third season, is an offensive leader and has the right personality to lead this group and be the face of the team in the community, as is required of the highest profile team in town.

Archie Jones

Aug 10, 2009
Chris Culligan will actually be going into his fourth season and has had 3 very productive scoring seasons.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Harty in Playoffs

Scrolling through the ECHL site, I noticed that Harty has not yet dressed in playoffs. Anyone in Redland know why?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I don't know the rules of the ECHL but I wonder if it is similar to the NHL in that if you join the team after a certain cut off you aren't eligible to be on the postseason roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad