UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It should be noted as well though that Houde-Caron took WAY fewer face-offs than MacDougall. Here are the season numbers I have, which are probably off a little bit since for some reason the AUS only keeps track of face-off numbers game by game and not for the entire season, so I had to add up each individual game for each player.

Bailey - 390 wins/270 losses (58.47 %)
Culligan - 218 wins/175 losses (55.47%)
MacDougall - 183 wins/147 losses (55.45%)
Clendenning - 82 wins/63 losses (56.55%)
Houde-Caron - 80 wins/56 losses (58.82%)
Campbell - 48 wins/58 wins (45.28%)
Nesbitt - 32 wins/23 losses (58.18%)

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
Hey, I too would say MacDougall is 13th most intriguing forward on the team. Won't deny that. But reality is, he, along with H-C and Fillier, are their checking role players. Many of UNB forwards arent of that mould, and in a playoff series, checking will trump an offensive player on 4th line logging 10-12 minutes.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Can't believe the injuries UNB has had this year. In particular on the D and goaltending. Thank god for depth.

Huge win for the Vreds last night. Now they don't have to worry about rushing Gallant back.

In other news it was nice to see Boyce get picked up by the Blue Jackets.

Reds Fan

Feb 29, 2012
Need Help

There was a player last name MacDougall that played for another CIS hockey team either last year or the year before. Does anyone know who he is and what team is plays or played for?

puck passion

Apr 17, 2009
There was a player last name MacDougall that played for another CIS hockey team either last year or the year before. Does anyone know who he is and what team is plays or played for?

????????????? R u thinking DJ McDougall who plays for Lethbridge ???????????????

Archie Jones

Aug 10, 2009
AUS All Star Predictions

What are your predictions for the AUS 1st and 2nd All Star Teams and the All Rookie Team?

Will the selections be based on points alone or will all round play be taken into consideration? Some of the top scorers don't seem to have been that effective at even strength.

Which deserving players will be left out?

STUTOMMIES

Jul 23, 2008
Fredericton
What are your predictions for the AUS 1st and 2nd All Star Teams and the All Rookie Team?

Will the selections be based on points alone or will all round play be taken into consideration? Some of the top scorers don't seem to have been that effective at even strength.

Which deserving players will be left out?

Felix Poulin from STU will be on the rookie team on D.

Lavigne has an outside chance as 2nd team allstar goalie, doubt it because of his record but that wasn't his fault.

Parks from UPEI rookie goalie for sure.

Tyler Carrol up front for rookie.

Clark from Acadia should be MVP??

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I'd say Culligan, Bailey, Harty, Stamler, and Gallant all have a shot at one of the all-star teams. Fullerton probably doesn't have enough games to get serious consideration. Carroll will most likely be on the rookie team.

I agree with STU on Parks/Poulin and Clark being MVP.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I'm sure most of you have already read this on the UNB Hockey Fan site but in case you didn't here is ticket info for game 3 in Moncton on Sunday:

For general public, tickets will go on sale Friday morning, March 9th…starting at 8:00 a.m. at the Front desk of the CEPS building on Moncton campus. Starting at 8:00 a.m., people can call at 506 858-4545 (front desk) or 506 858-4674 (Lissa Gagnon) with credit card no.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
here is the link: www.vredshockey.com/vote

I have to say that I'm surprised at the low voter turnout for this decade - thought the fans would be all over this decade.

How long has voting been open for the 2000's? I didn't even know the voting was open yet...I just happened to stumble upon it when I was reading up on the 1970's results on the UNB Athletics site. Might need to get the word out abit more...maybe you can get them to throw something up on one of the video screens at the AUC or get it put in the newsletter.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Read this over at the Sea Dogs blog...
http://stationnation.blogspot.com/2012/03/schedule-issues-at-station.html

Pretty interesting mess they might have there to say the least, but I don't know if they would be able to hold the game at the AUC since it appears the ice is out that day because of graduation stuff the day or two before, although I am sure they could get it back in place in time.

Encaenia is on the 16/17 this year.

I thought they had moved graduation to the Currie Centre? (can't spell it any other way, sorry) That would make the AUC available.

They could still have the ice and melt it over night on the 15th, dry the floor and have the stage and chairs installed. Anything is possible with a paying customer and Overtime pay. It's not like grad setup is very complex.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Encaenia is on the 16/17 this year.

I thought they had moved graduation to the Currie Centre? (can't spell it any other way, sorry) That would make the AUC available.

They could still have the ice and melt it over night on the 15th, dry the floor and have the stage and chairs installed. Anything is possible with a paying customer and Overtime pay. It's not like grad setup is very complex.

UNB grad is at the Currie Center but STU has theirs at the AUC on the 13th...according to the ice time schedule the ice is supposed to be out the 14th and 15th.

http://campusrec.unbf.ca/bookings/?...eek&NavType=Both&Type=TimePlan&Date=2012/5/13

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
1997-98 team heading to Fredericton Sports Wall of Fame

The Jamie Ross story is on the other side of the Daily Gleaner's paywall, but the 1997-98 National Champion UNB hockey team is being inducted into the Fredericton Sports Wall of Fame, along with other deserved honourees (like some baseball player named Stairs ...)

Joining Randall at the May induction will be retired pro baseball slugger Matt Stairs, hockey/baseball standout Darrell (Dag) Seymour, track and field officials Rick and Margie Stocker and the 1997-98 UNB men’s hockey team.

Dax MacLean, speaking on behalf of the ’97-98 UNB national championship team, said he’d received many emails from his former teammates — all thrilled that they’d be honoured by the city’s sports community.

“I do think it started a tradition at UNB,” said MacLean of his team’s national championship, which was the first for the V-Reds hockey team.

“There were a lot of traditions before that too. We like to think we helped get it to where it is today.”

MacLean, who’s a part of the organizing committee for the upcoming Canadian Interuniversity Sport men’s hockey nationals, which kicks off at the Aitken University Centre next Thursday, said this year’s V-Reds are looking good heading into the University Cup.

“I think they’ve got a lot of depth,” said MacLean, who played four seasons with UNB. “They don’t seem to be complacent at all, from winning last year. There are a lot of new guys, and that’s always nice, to push everyone else.”

With the Delta undergoing renovations, the dinner and induction ceremony will be held Saturday, May 5, at 6:30 p.m. at the Fredericton Convention Centre.

Tickets are $75 ($50 for alumni members of the Wall of Fame) and are available at MacTavish for Sports or any Fredericton Sports Investment member. For ticket inquiries contact Tim Gillies at 458-3180 during the day.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Nationals vs Western

I don't want to start a war here, but I can't understand the ice time granted to Taylor M last night in a hockey game were UNB was struggling to establish a speedy forecheck?
He saw way to much ice for a team that was down 3 goals and needed offense and speed?
Can someone explain why, maybe I'm wrong, but I can't understand his decision on this matter and I'm not the only one who noticed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad