GDT: Umm There's a Game Tonight at 7:30 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
A number us do. And deservedly so. Read through a few GDTs and you'll get an idea.

Look at my avatar. I've wanted him gone since December

I'm no apologist and I've said if next season gets off to a rocky start then he should go, but this team just isn't good so I take a little leniency on the coach in those situations. Obviously you can't fire the players but say we got rid of Hynes who takes over? Kowalsky? Really don't see that as an upgrade.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I actually think Coleman has had a decent couple games.

He's made some very good plays. Again tonight he was able to force a turnover in the Islanders' zone. There's probably not a full-time NHL player there, but Coleman's a guy who can come up from Albany and play decently.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I could re-write many Dead Kennedy's songs about John Hynes.

Kinky Sex Makes The World Go Round would be an amazing re-write.

''NHL director of officials office, NHL director of officials speaking'

''Greetings! This is John Hynes, head coach of the New Jersey Devils. We have a problem! I want something done about this potential winning situation. The team has been spending too much time for my liking in the offensive zone lately and we need to keep ourselves further out of games. Now we know there's an alarmingly high number of officials in this league with nothing better to do but make ticky tacky calls and decide the outcome of games. It doesn't look like they'll ever lose their jobs over it. We thinks it's about time we all had a serious get together and ask the officials to start calling more penalties against us.

We don't even have to lose these games! We just wanna cut back on some of this excess offensive zone time and pressure. Playing Ben Lovejoy 20+ minutes and benching puck possession players like Auvitu and Bennett, just isn't enough''

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He's made some very good plays. Again tonight he was able to force a turnover in the Islanders' zone. There's probably not a full-time NHL player there, but Coleman's a guy who can come up from Albany and play decently.

Yeah. Decent depth guy. Not bad to have guys like that in the system.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm no apologist and I've said if next season gets off to a rocky start then he should go, but this team just isn't good so I take a little leniency on the coach in those situations. Obviously you can't fire the players but say we got rid of Hynes who takes over? Kowalsky? Really don't see that as an upgrade.

He probably deserves another year, just because of the roster. I have no confidence in his ability at most semblances of coaching though. If we don't improve next year, I don't see what we gain from giving him a year four.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
He probably deserves another year, just because of the roster. I have no confidence in his ability at most semblances of coaching though. If we don't improve next year, I don't see what we gain from giving him a year four.

Agreed completely, hopefully by then there's a decent coach on the market

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Agreed completely, hopefully by then there's a decent coach on the market

Sutter might be on the market this year. I don't care if he's a defensive coach. Hynes idea of defense is being trapped in the D zone. We won't have to play as much defense with Sutter.

His team this year barely scored at all, but I think that's because they have a pretty bad roster. Right down there with ours and the guys that are good (Kopitar) underachieved this year. They have like 4 good forwards between Kopitar, Carter, Pearson and Toffoli. Gaborik (when he's even healthy anymore) and Brown are third liners. Iginla is having a nice string there, but he wasn't there all year and he's just about finished.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Sutter might be on the market this year. I don't care if he's a defensive coach. Hynes idea of defense is being trapped in the D zone. We won't have to play as much defense with Sutter.

His team this year barely scored at all, but I think that's because they have a pretty bad roster. Right down there with ours and the guys that are good (Kopitar) underachieved this year. They have like 4 good forwards between Kopitar, Carter, Pearson and Toffoli. Gaborik (when he's even healthy anymore) and Brown are third liners. Iginla is having a nice string there, but he wasn't there all year and he's just about finished.

Sutter is a horrendous fit for what the Devils want to do.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Can I get examples of first time NHL coaches that missed the playoffs in their first two years, but eventually turned their guys into a solid playoff team?

Don't feel like doing the research...

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Kings blue line is much better than ours as well. Kill whatever system Hynes and Nes run but our defenseman are pretty awful as a group.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kink was good tonight aside from goal 2 allowed.
It was definitely stoppable. Not horrific or brutal, but stoppable. He faced enough shots and saved enough of them, that I'd excuse it. He probably made us look respectable defensively, since there's so many people that judge the team on how many goals they allowed, no matter if the goalie was hot or if the goalie stunk and we got lit up on few chances. We allowed almost 40 shots (big surprise) but perhaps due to spending so much time on the PK.
Sutter is a horrendous fit for what the Devils want to do.
Why? I figured that you of all people would be one of the last people to say this.

He's a tremendous possession coach.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sutter for NJD?

Only hockey illiterates would think he's a good fit here.

Once again, why? Sutter's system is right up there with Lemaire's and Burns. Those teams were defensive teams, but they were also puck possession team, who dominated puck possession 75%-80% of the time.

His team doesn't score because his forwards aren't that good and it's filled with washed up and overpaid bums like Brown and Gaborik and a lot of worthless forwards outside of Pearson, Toffoli, Carter and Kopitar.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Once again, why? Sutter's system is right up there with Lemaire's and Burns. Those teams were defensive teams, but they were also puck possession team, who dominated puck possession 75%-80% of the time.

Not the team Shero is building. He wants a track meet, quick transition quick attach team.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Can I get examples of first time NHL coaches that missed the playoffs in their first two years, but eventually turned their guys into a solid playoff team?

Don't feel like doing the research...

In recent years, Todd Richards missed the playoffs in his first two years with Minnesota and then was fired. He was hired by CBJ during the 11-12 season, when they were already well out of a playoff spot. Then they barely missed in the lockout season, might have made it in a full season, if Bobrovsky sustained that level of play. Then they made it in 13-14. Then they missed in 14-15 and started out 0-8-0 (I think or maybe 0-9-0) in 15-16 and he was fired.

I understand that's not turning their guys into a solid playoff team though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not the team Shero is building. He wants a track meet, quick transition quick attach team.

With Hynes, we're having a lot of track meets.

They're just very much in favor of the other team on most nights.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Sutter also has an elite #1 defenseman and an elite #1 center in LA. Give him this current roster and we're probably a little bit better defensively and just as bad offensively as we are now.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Why? I figured that you of all people would be one of the last people to say this.

He's a tremendous possession coach.

I thought we had this discussion recently, but perhaps not -

Sutter's teams are all built on being slow, dump-in heavy, and working the offensive zone. We had a coach like that in DeBoer so it's something we're familiar with here. And Sutter's got the perfect crew for it - Kopitar is basically what Elias was in his prime in terms of controlling play and being a great defensive player, then you've got that defense. Plus a bunch of plugs on the bottom lines who'll play plug hockey.

The Devils have Taylor Hall, who plays anti-Sutter hockey - Hall's game is all about speed, zone entries, and goals off transition. He can score other ways but transition is where he's best, and that's not how Sutter wants to play the game, because Hall will also turn the puck over and make high-risk plays that lead to scoring chances the other way.

I don't think it's an accident that the Kings under Sutter have been one of the worst-shooting teams in the league. The way they play means taking a lot of low-percentage shots.

Furthermore, Sutter is a guy who has basically been a coach on veteran teams for the better part of two decades. At 58, does he really want to coach a team that's going to be among the youngest in the NHL?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He wants an up-tempo pace but ultimately Ray wants to win.

Harris has handed him the keys and pin # to the ATM.

And he is planning on winning with up tempo transition hockey.

It is clear as day when you look at Shero's first two drafts here. Every single player drafted can skate.

He wants those back and forth games we were having in November, but with all 4 lines being able to score off rushes like that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sutter also has an elite #1 defenseman and an elite #1 center in LA. Give him this current roster and we're probably a little bit better defensively and just as bad offensively as we are now.
I think we'd be a lot better defensively. We probably wouldn't score much more, but I think we'd allow fewer goals (even with Cory's off year this season) because we'd concede fewer shots.
I thought we had this discussion recently, but perhaps not -

Sutter's teams are all built on being slow, dump-in heavy, and working the offensive zone. We had a coach like that in DeBoer so it's something we're familiar with here. And Sutter's got the perfect crew for it - Kopitar is basically what Elias was in his prime in terms of controlling play and being a great defensive player, then you've got that defense. Plus a bunch of plugs on the bottom lines who'll play plug hockey.

The Devils have Taylor Hall, who plays anti-Sutter hockey - Hall's game is all about speed, zone entries, and goals off transition. He can score other ways but transition is where he's best, and that's not how Sutter wants to play the game, because Hall will also turn the puck over and make high-risk plays that lead to scoring chances the other way.

I don't think it's an accident that the Kings under Sutter have been one of the worst-shooting teams in the league. The way they play means taking a lot of low-percentage shots.

Furthermore, Sutter is a guy who has basically been a coach on veteran teams for the better part of two decades. At 58, does he really want to coach a team that's going to be among the youngest in the NHL?
Fair enough. I do remember you mentioning Hall was not a Sutter-friendly type player.

I understand your points, same would apply for Hitchcock too, who I never really was interested in anyway. After watching LA and their dead offense a lot in this streak by them, I'm not as adamant about adding Sutter as I was a couple months ago. I'd definitely want him over Hitchcock though, or god forbid Lindy Ruff, who is really overrated and has managed to gain this reputation by Buffalo holding on to him for so long.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Shero is going to try and squeeze another trade or two for a speedster, but overall i think he is waiting for the rest of his fast kids to start cracking the line up.

I do think we might be better served if we take it slow with McLeod. Give him his 9 games cup of coffee but send him back to dominate in juniors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad