Confirmed with Link: UMass LD Zac Jones to join the Rangers!

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
That was never a comparable for Thomas. Who projected that? They don't play similar games.

People drooled all over Thomas because he had just scored 50+ goals and 100 points in his D+1, but more to the point, because our prospect pool was f***ing ghastly at the time.
Yes, it was. No idea if it was the opinion on this site. But I remember the belief that he was another speed demon and would be another Hagelin.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
That was never a comparable for Thomas. Who projected that? They don't play similar games.

People drooled all over Thomas because he had just scored 50+ goals and 100 points in his D+1, but more to the point, because our prospect pool was f***ing ghastly at the time.
Careful, you don't get to decide what the truth is....

Reactions: nyr2k2

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So, all these players have gone to Hartford and the number that have graduated to be legit NHLers. Not even saying superstars. But guys like Girardi (undrafted), Callahan (4th rounder), and Dubinsky (late 2nd rounder) who spent a season or more in Hartford and turned into legit NHLers. They haven't had that in over 10 years and we can't question if there is an issue with what they are doing? Now, if this has been the trend league-wide, then as I said before maybe it is time to think the AHL is not a development league. It is simply a lower tier for guys who will never be legit NHLers. If you want to say Graves developed in Hartford and was moved, fine. But, that is still only 1 in 10 years and we don't think there is a problem?

The problem is you keep moving the goal posts. Every time someone mentions a player, you say he doesn't count for one reason or another.

You are also forgetting that when JD came in, they made Hartford a priority. So it seems they felt they needed to do better there, and did things to improve it. But it has only be 2 years, disrupted by Covid. It will take time to see results, and even then, there are so many other factors that go into it like where we are drafting, where the players are playing post draft, and the player's ability. Some players will never be NHL players, no matter how good our development is. Some later-round players who have potential, like Berard, will spend years in college before ever playing in the AHL. By your estimation, he wouldn't count because the majority of his development would be in college.

If we don't have a lot of players that fit your myopic criteria, then we aren't going to have a lot of successes. You are basically looking at the players with the worst possible chance of becoming regular NHL players and complaining that we haven't turned more of them into regular NHL players.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I agree completely. But, if someone takes the view that Hartford is not a good place to develop, I'd at least like for them to give some examples of players they think were failed by the Hartford coaches, and maybe also not exclude higher picks that clearly benefitted from Hartford like Miller, Lindgren, Skjei, etc. I just want people to justify their position. Mine is that Hartford has been a mixed bag and I supported it by literally looking at all our picks from six years' worth of drafts.

Yeah I mean, it started early last year, suddenly everyone was all high on Hartford, JD and Drury were turning it around! That's because the first half of the season they had Shesterkin playing awesome, Joey Keane looking like a stud, Chytil playing well the first 10 games, Lindgren down to start, Huska playing well to start, etc. It's like, man, you put higher-quality prospects on the team and the team plays better? No shit! I mean the first ten games with Shesterkin, Chytil, and Lindgren, you had three legitimate NHL players. When was the last time Hartford had three prospects of that caliber in the lineup at the same time? Hartford hasn't generated a lot of NHL-caliber players because we don't send many NHL-caliber prospects down there to play (except the high picks that we can't count :laugh)); there's excitement about Hartford this season again because we have legitimate NHL-caliber prospects there.

Hartford has been mismanaged and neglected, but I don't think it has ruined any prospects, or that--save maybe for Graves depending on how you view the end of his tenure--that we've really held anyone back.

You know my criticism is based on the "can't miss prospects" struggling. To varying degrees, this organization has had problems with Kakko, Kravtsov and Lias. And those are all well-documented. That doesn't mean they never do anything right.

Kakko this season is a totally different player and I am sure the criticism he aired out is no longer relevant (re: Quinn's coaching). Kravtsov came back from Russia and looks like a different player altogether. Lias, unfortunately, didn't pan out for us but seemed to do better once he was back in Sweden.

I don't think the people in charge in Hartford are incompetent, but I do get the feeling they aren't really open to suggestions (Again, based on what I have been told by certain players). Some players say that there's just no freedom at all. They control everything and some players just respond bad to that type of environment. The problem isn't that they are handling these kids one way or another, but more (in my opinion) that they seem to use one type of approach and use that for everyone. When you have such a diverse group of people (Russian, Czech, Swedish, Finnish, French-Canadian, Canadian, American, Slovaks, Swiss) in your organization, you need to understand that they grew up in different societies and you can't just expect a Slovak kid to respond the same as a Swedish kid to the same approach. I think especially with European players it's often lost on people how diverse this continent is and that you need to sit down and figure out a way to deal with each individual. Different ethnicities , different linguistic branches, even 2 kids from Russia can be vastly different. Shestyorkin growing up in Moscow and later St Petersburg, Kravtsov growing up in Vladivostok and later Chelyabinsk, that's night and day.

This organization has been drafting and signing free agents from Europe more in the last 5 years than any time before that. Maybe that was part of the challenge. I am not saying I have the answer to all these questions, but in my job I do deal with a very diverse group. I have 15 people who report to me and they range from Bangladesh to Bulgaria, Serbia, Ghana, Finland, Wales, Brazil and Australia. If I would address each individual the same way in a 1-on-1 conversation, I'd be struggling to keep my team together.

Drury took over what, 3-4 years ago? Gernander left 2 years ago. He was a relic of the previous regime. I think things only really changed once Gernander left so we have 2 years of the current regime to judge. And within that span I am happy with what I see. Certainly much more open-minded than before. Yeah, the Lias issue still drove him away, and the communication issues with Kravtsov and Kakko weren't great but I honestly feel the coaches involved learn from this as well.

It's an ever-evolving market, and they have to adjust on-the-fly. This influx of prospects will both be a blessing and a curse because the odds are much higher that Hartford will produce some talent, since you have more kicks at the can so to speak, but some prospects will still fail. It's just impossible to put the finger on what caused those prospects to fail, and that'll still be the issue in the future.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Yes, it was. No idea if it was the opinion on this site. But I remember the belief that he was another speed demon and would be another Hagelin.

Christian Thomas? not a 'belief' that i recall.
Certainly Stumpy wasn't known for speed...

But thanks for mentioning, else i wouldn't have looked it up
and found out he plays for KooKoo in Liiga, so a teammate of Aaltonen (if he is actually w team)

Eliteprospects reports Aaltonen has played 22 games for KooKoo
Leevi Aaltonen at eliteprospects.com
but that line matches his Kalpaa stats, could be an error)

Reactions: egelband

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I remember hearing Cammaleri as a comparable when he was drafted. Not Hagelin

Reactions: Lua

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

and found out he plays for KooKoo in Liiga, so a teammate of Aaltonen (if he is actually w team)

Yeah, Aaltonen hasn't played yet for KooKoo. He's still rehabbing from an injury.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think what Barron has shown is that he is already too good for the AHL. Big issue with why he is not up was because they couldn't fit him under the cap due to the bonus potential. So yeah, I'd argue he was ready for the NHL since January.
What does that have anything to do with whether or not he is being developed properly? The reason that he is not up is because there is no room for him right now. As such, continuing to marinate in Hartford for the rest of the year is probably a good idea.
I have said already, they have had plenty of draft picks. Yes, they traded their 1sts for 3 years in a row, but had others. The fact that NONE of them turned into anything for the NHL is reason for concern, imo. Whether it be evaluating the talent pre-draft, developing post-draft, whatever.
Having plenty of draft picks is not quite the same thing as drafting players that are going to turn out to be NHL players, now is it? Are you upset that the likes of Sean Day & Ryan Gropp did not turn out to be NHL players? What NHL team would have done so?
Until we start seeing some more guys come along the way Girarid, Callahan, Dubinsky did, not going to have too much confidence in what we have down there.
Shesterkin, Lindgren, Chytil.

You are also very conveniently dismissing that prospects like Miller, Fox, Kakko & Lafreniere did not play in Hartford. Had they played there, would they have been ruined? Or I guess ruined more than Quinn ruined them already?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
that’s a loser’s mentality. maybe it’s the yankee fan in me, but you shouldn’t be proud of losing in the playoffs. if you’re not first, you’re last. maybe there are a bunch of mets and/or jets fans who are used to and accept incompetence, but I’m not one of them. As a Rangers fan, I don’t want this team to win a single Stanley Cup. I want them to win multiple Stanley Cups. We have the foundation to become a really good team for a good few years. While the big moves obviously matter, the small moves can be the difference between being able to make a certain move that leads you to a Cup or not. If you don’t look at every move with true scrutiny, then you don’t really care about the team’s long term success and you’re just here for the ride, which is fine. But don’t criticize a fan who actually wants the team to win.
Honestly this is a losers mentality. Major fear of failure. Failure is important. You know who never fails? Ryan leaf. Then he grows up with irrational expectations of the world and when real adversity hits he melts down. You project irrational expectations onto a sports team bc their failure doesn't matter in the end and it allows you to focus on someone else's failures. Maybe a superiority thing, maybe so you feel better but you're own. Take my advice. Stop Ryan Leafing things. Be rational and reasonable. Talk shit about the idiot coach on occassion and root for a few obtainable goals. Stop living vicariously through sports teams. The way you view sports should have nothing to do with if you have an actual losers mentality. It's not your life. It's entertainment.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Rangers fans were drooling over Christian Thomas because of his speed. People were expecting him to be another Hagelin.
I remember him as a shooter and scorer. Pat Verbeek was my comp. I think that’s in line with what the general consensus was. If memory serves...

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Really, ok let's look. Going back to 2005 since Dubinsky and Callahan were picked in 2004.

2005 had an extra 2nd, extra 3rd and 1 in every other round.
2006- 1 pick per round
2007-didnt have a 3rd or 4th, had an extra 7th
2008- had an extra 3rd, no 7th.
2009- no 4th, had an extra 5th
2010-no 3rd. 1 pick in every other round
2011- extra 5th, no 7th.
2012- no 3rd, 6th, 7th.
2013- had three 3rd's, a 4th and a 6th
2014- no 1st, 6th or 7th. Had an extra 4th and 2 extra 5ths.
2015- no 1st, 5th, 6th. had 2 extra 3rd's and an extra 4th.
2016- no 1st, 2nd. had an extra 6th
2017- extra 1st, extra 6th, no 2nd or 3rd.
2018-2020 had a lot of picks, no need to list them all.

But looking back, they had a lot of picks. Should have hit on a few just by accident.

I just realized that for the last 14 years I have been reading your name as patynyrg. Like, Paty nyr g. How about that...

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I have said already, they have had plenty of draft picks. Yes, they traded their 1sts for 3 years in a row, but had others. The fact that NONE of them turned into anything for the NHL is reason for concern, imo. Whether it be evaluating the talent pre-draft, developing post-draft, whatever.

None of them turned into NHL players? Our 3rd leading scorer and potential franchise goalie were 3rd and 4th round picks, respectively. Anthony Duclair was pacing for 30 goals last year and was a staple in the Panthers top-six this season before he got hurt. Ryan Graves spent all of last year riding shotgun to the freaking Calder winner.

Until we start seeing some more guys come along the way Girarid, Callahan, Dubinsky did, not going to have too much confidence in what we have down there.

What does this even mean? Callahan shredded the AHL in his first season. Barron is outperforming Callahan's pace over a smaller sample size. Callahan was actually drafted higher than Barron. What exactly makes him an example of "coming along" where Barron is not?

Ryan Lindgren played more games in the AHL than Dubinsky did and both were 2nd round picks. What makes Dubinsky a shining example while Lindgren is fluff?

The Rangers signed Pionk as a UFA, let him play half of a season in Hartford, and then he made the jump. Why is Girardi playing in the AHL for longer a better example of player development?

Three guys in the last three years who are damn near carbon copies of those development tracks and you're spouting off about the Rangers not being able to replicate that success.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Honestly this is a losers mentality. Major fear of failure. Failure is important. You know who never fails? Ryan leaf. Then he grows up with irrational expectations of the world and when real adversity hits he melts down. You project irrational expectations onto a sports team bc their failure doesn't matter in the end and it allows you to focus on someone else's failures. Maybe a superiority thing, maybe so you feel better but you're own. Take my advice. Stop Ryan Leafing things. Be rational and reasonable. Talk shit about the idiot coach on occassion and root for a few obtainable goals. Stop living vicariously through sports teams. The way you view sports should have nothing to do with if you have an actual losers mentality. It's not your life. It's entertainment.

lmfao Ryan Leaf failed because he didn’t care about winning. He cared about the money and fame. It’s why it was such a huge red flag when he said he was going to Vegas after he drafted rather than focus on learning the playbook et al.

It’s not an unreal expectation for your team to put themselves in the best position to win. When your team makes dumb moves, they should be called out on it. I’m not saying we should win every year at all, but this team has to limit the dumb decisions they make.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
None of them turned into NHL players? Our 3rd leading scorer and potential franchise goalie were 3rd and 4th round picks, respectively. Anthony Duclair was pacing for 30 goals last year and was a staple in the Panthers top-six this season before he got hurt. Ryan Graves spent all of last year riding shotgun to the freaking Calder winner.
If you follow the thread, I am talking about players developing in Hartford. Duclair never played in Hartford. Shestorkin came here at 24 year old and played about 20 games in Hartford, not exactly "developing". He developed in Russia. Buchnevich played 4 games in Hartford.
What does this even mean? Callahan shredded the AHL in his first season. Barron is outperforming Callahan's pace over a smaller sample size. Callahan was actually drafted higher than Barron. What exactly makes him an example of "coming along" where Barron is not?

Ryan Lindgren played more games in the AHL than Dubinsky did and both were 2nd round picks. What makes Dubinsky a shining example while Lindgren is fluff?

The Rangers signed Pionk as a UFA, let him play half of a season in Hartford, and then he made the jump. Why is Girardi playing in the AHL for longer a better example of player development?

Three guys in the last three years who are damn near carbon copies of those development tracks and you're spouting off about the Rangers not being able to replicate that success.
How did I not say Barron is not coming along? He has been in Hartford for 16 games, that is hardly "developing in Hartford" I give Cornell more credit for his development at this point. As far as comparison to Callahan, Callahan became a legit NHLer, that was the point of using him Girardi, Dubinsky as my references. Barron has not yet. Do I think he is on his way to doing so? Yes. But obviously not there yet.

Pionk, I actually forgot about. I'll give that one.

Last edited:

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
What does that have anything to do with whether or not he is being developed properly? The reason that he is not up is because there is no room for him right now. As such, continuing to marinate in Hartford for the rest of the year is probably a good idea.

Having plenty of draft picks is not quite the same thing as drafting players that are going to turn out to be NHL players, now is it? Are you upset that the likes of Sean Day & Ryan Gropp did not turn out to be NHL players? What NHL team would have done so?

Shesterkin, Lindgren, Chytil.

You are also very conveniently dismissing that prospects like Miller, Fox, Kakko & Lafreniere did not play in Hartford. Had they played there, would they have been ruined? Or I guess ruined more than Quinn ruined them already?
If I clearly said my concern is a lack of prospect development in Hartford, why would I bring up players who NEVER played in Hartford in Miller, Fox, Kakko, Lafreniere? But to answer your question, I would say based on what has gone on the past few years there is good chance those players would have regressed in Hartford. However, not something I can prove, nor can you disprove. As for guys like Gropp, Day, we will never know if they would have developed in other systems. What we DO know is they did not develop into anything in this system. Whose fault is that? Again, not something any of us can prove, but when the evidence shows hardly anyone outside of recent first round picks to come out of Hartford, it raises an eyebrow. Yes, maybe my expectations are unrealistic or maybe yours are too low.

As for how this applies to Jones, I am hoping they see him as having a legit shot to make the big club next season. As in they see it right now as his job to lose. I would be concerned if the thought is give him a cup of coffee this season and send him to Hartford next year. If that is the case, would rather he stayed at UMass.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I have more confidence in what goes on in Hartford with Knoblauch and Murphy as the coaches than the previous staff that was there.
That, I can understand. But if what Kredierman said earlier about the philosophy being a one size fits all matter, that is not a good sign, imo.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
I remember hearing Cammaleri as a comparable when he was drafted. Not Hagelin

I also remember this comparison, and I think it fit. We were crossing our fingers for a 30 goal player. He was probably our flagship prospect that year where they televised Traverse City for the first time and we were all super hyped to watch him after he tore the OHL to shreds.

His most memorable moment in both that tournament and in the organization was getting absolutely smoked by Brayden McNabb and getting concussed and (if i recall correctly) missing the beginning of training camp. Those were dark times when it came to our prospect pool, and that memory serves as a reminder to keep perspective about how lucky we are to have the kind of young players we do, even if some of them are struggling to put up the numbers we hoped for out of the gate.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

I could be mixing up my past failed prospects from that era. There were so many of them, afterall.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00