Ukraine: Ukrainians in the KHL talk

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Looks like Materukhin will be signing with Dynamo Minsk. He is tearing it up in the Belarusian league with 15 goals and 25 points in only 13 games. Hope he sticks this time around.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
plus belukhin, minus haiduchenko, ponikarovksy, and kasianchuk

not sure if silnitsky/shalimov would be eligible this year? this is their second year on the team but maybe not full calendar year so...

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
plus belukhin, minus haiduchenko, ponikarovksy, and kasianchuk

not sure if silnitsky/shalimov would be eligible this year? this is their second year on the team but maybe not full calendar year so...

Fair enough.

Isn't Kasyanchuk currently VHL?

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Trivia incoming:

As a close follower of Soviet block countries, I can assure there has been no "repatriations" as you put it since Soviet union broke up. Yes some players have started to play for their birth lands, but not after playing for Russia. The only real example of a player who has suited up for two post-Soviet countries in an IIHF tournament of any age is Evgeni Nabokov. Denis Falfutdinov managed to play Kazakh U sides ~15 years ago, but later on appeared for Kyrgyzstan's team in Asian Winter games couple of years ago. Just to be thorough, I'll also mention Yevgeni Pisarenko who turned back to, funny enough, Ukraine and now represents Romania, and if I recall correctly scored their only goal against team Ukraine when these two teams met last time.

Not sure if I'm awesome or really, really sad for remembering all this (besides Falfutdinov's full name) without any reference.

So "repatriations" of babchuks and komaristys of this world seems very, very unlikely.

Last edited:

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
It's unlikely if we look at it in an historical bubble, but times have changed and Donbass exists now. The PHL (err...) exists now (as a VHL farm alternative for Donbass; maybe they move their PHL affiliate to the VHL in the future as a farm?)

Point being, these guys who had a cup of coffee on the Russian team who have no delusions of ever competing internationally again for them, could potentially repatriate. Babchuk? Probably no, he still has WC potential and would need 4 years in Donbass, so that's a long shot. Komaristy? If he ended up on a Donbass farm team for 4 years, why not? He's not even in the 'K anymore, and that's why I mentioned the idea.

Sure it's never happened, but Ukraine poaching Russian players has never happened before either until now. Donetsk is being aggressive about this, so it's not out of the realm of possibility to at least theorize and day dream. If Donbass acquired any of these guys, I think we could have a legitimate discussion on whether a Nabokov-rule may be invoked.

Side note, but I got bored and tallied up all of the players by nationality per year:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ey_League#Breakdown_of_players_by_nationality

so I think we're equally as sad

Last edited:

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
found this funny, didn't know where else to post it

8b89f8ecba7cba1e1784963016ba3317_5.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad