Ukraine: Ukraine National team

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
So how many teams are relegated from D-1A?

I don't fully comprehend the current format?

Ukraine plays Great Britain tomorrow. Neither team have done well so far.

Ukraine 4-5 Austria
Ukraine 1-3 Hungary

UK 2-3 Slovenia
UK 3-7 Austria

Based on these very small samples one would have to hope that Ukraine would pull off a victory here.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
So how many teams are relegated from D-1A?

I don't fully comprehend the current format?

Ukraine plays Great Britain tomorrow. Neither team have done well so far.

Ukraine 4-5 Austria
Ukraine 1-3 Hungary

UK 2-3 Slovenia
UK 3-7 Austria

Based on these very small samples one would have to hope that Ukraine would pull off a victory here.

Only one team gets relegated.

I can predict that GB will convincingly outshoot the Ukraine, but the game itself will be a close one. GB is a younger and faster team, so Ukraine will have to rely on experience and more skill based game. I think GB will win this one.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Only one team gets relegated.

I can predict that GB will convincingly outshoot the Ukraine, but the game itself will be a close one. GB is a younger and faster team, so Ukraine will have to rely on experience and more skill based game. I think GB will win this one.

I was really wrong about the shots, but sadly not about the eventual outcome.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
this is ridiculous, and a huge obstacle to overcome attempting to rebuild Ukraine's hockey program.

Nothing ridiculous about this outcome, Ukrainian hockey has been slowly creeping towards these results for 20 years. Though it will be a "huge obstacle" only if Ukraine really manages to get themselves relegated, because getting promoted next year will be even bigger ask. Not to mention bad rep this tournament will attach to Ukrainian hockey. There's nothing going on in Ukrainian hockey that could capture the imagination of Ukrainian kids lately. Football and basketball championships will only push hockey even closer to oblivion in coming years.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Well at least we can comfort ourselves that the best players aren't there.

OH wait, that doesn't matter. :shakehead

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Hard to blame Ukraine for being the oldest team in the tourney by a longshot, when all the three debutants haven't done anything useful too. This team really needs Varlamov, Andrushenko and Yegorov, maybe Gongalsky could provide some spark as well.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Next year´s Div IB most likely final: Ukraine - Poland.....I guess you can see that tehy are truly Slovakia´s neighbours, even they are failing more and more at hockey with every year....

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
we have a league and a KHL team and possibly a major junior team in the near future...there's no way that our development and production of players continues to deteriorate as bad as it has....it can only get better, we don't belong with the likes of Poland and company

we'll get back up to div A...in a few years maybe

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
we have a league and a KHL team and possibly a major junior team in the near future...there's no way that our development and production of players continues to deteriorate as bad as it has....it can only get better, we don't belong with the likes of Poland and company

I dig the positive vibes.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

Yeah you got to hope this is the 'rock bottom' momment for Ukraine. There are some positivies right now, but one club isn't going to turn everything around.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010

IA or Elite?

There are some promising kids in the pipeline but looks like the real revival will start after birthyear of 1998 will be breaking through.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Yeah you got to hope this is the 'rock bottom' momment for Ukraine. There are some positivies right now, but one club isn't going to turn everything around.

it's not like i'm saying things will just skyrocket back up from here, but the bleeding will stop...I would hope/expect

i mean, come on, japan and england are ahead of us - really?! we continue to produce NHL and KHL level talent, if we can retain some we shouldn't even be having this discussion

JAPAN AND BRITAIN. UGH.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
This thread has died a bit, but I'll take a moment and say that this year's Ukraine NT could look particularly ****. The promotion won't be and easy task, those Lithuanians look scary now.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
http://isport.ua/hockey/ukraine/news/261361.html

Belukhin and Ponikarovsky are named to the WC team

http://isport.ua/hockey/ukraine/news/261364.html

President of the Federation Anatoly Brezvin, in agreement with the leadership of the Donets Basin, by submitting a petition to the Minister of Youth and Sports Ravil Safiullin. Specifically, the letter states: "Given that the Ukrainian hockey is currently at the stage of revival, to achieve before team goals is essential strengthening of the team, including through the naturalization of players playing in the Ukrainian team, but are citizens of other countries. Inclusion of these players, as citizens of Ukraine, the national team have a positive impact on her sport results, closer to performance goals set for the team and is fully consistent with the public interest in Ukraine. " Under current legislation the next step should be to give the corresponding request the President of Ukraine.

http://isport.ua/hockey/ukraine/news/261399.html

Donbass Eugene Belukhin that to play for the national team must obtain Ukrainian citizenship. At the official website of Donbass striker who will be the first performer naturalized in the Ukrainian national team, confirmed the intention of Back to the flag. "Indeed, I have agreed to receive Ukrainian citizenship. Donbass has my full support this. I am also aware of the desire to draw me into the national team of Ukraine, but still too early to talk about it, because everything is in the process of registration" - Belukhin said.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
The NT is in for a real treat. Assuming they're healthy and able to play Poni and Fedotenko will really help this team climb the ranks.

Any idea if Gaiduchenko will ever play for Ukraine?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad