Ukraine: Ukraine National team

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Especially the veteran, Zherdev is intresting. Why he plays in austrian league instead of Donbass is beyond me.
More money, nicer country, better competition, arenas that aren't empty, stable political situation.. Would seem like enough reasons for me. Not to mention that if you are Russian (which Zherdev almost certainly considers himself to be) playing in Ukraine is actually a worse choice than playing pretty much anywhere else.

I don't think 6 games in the CHL are worth anything, to be honest, and the Ukrainian league is a joke. Always was and still is.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Arent Donbass and Sokil Kiev 2 decent teams?

Would you say Lituhanian league is stronger than Ukrainian league?
Of course not and they are but so what, 2 teams don't make a good league. Otherwise, we should consider the Latvian league good, and Romanian league good, German Oberliga and Hungarian league great, etc.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Ukraine was in a three team tournament with Italy and Hungry this week. They lost both games, but didn't disgrace themselves. They scored three in the third to tie Italy, before losing on PS. They lost 2-1 against Hungary in the second game. I wasn't necessarily expecting them to win either game, but was hoping they would at least play well and keep the games close. So I would say mission accomplished. Hopefully this bodes well for their WC efforts.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Arent Donbass and Sokil Kiev 2 decent teams?

Would you say Lituhanian league is stronger than Ukrainian league?

I live in Ukraine and watch a lot of UHL games. Sokil and Donbass are the strongest teams in the league for sure. Kremenchuk has a good team as well, and in fact are the only team other than Donbass to win the Ukrainian championship. Mariupol are a second year team, and are playing a lot better. Kramatorsk are also a second year team, and have been fairly competitive from day one. Kherson have taken a step backwards after being very competitive their first two years in the league (almost beating Donbass in the semi-finals two years ago). Belyi Bars are awful this year. There's a new team in Kharkov this year, and have actually been a lot better than I expected. I have been watching the Ukrainian league, in this format, since it's inception. The level of play has increased dramatically from it's first 2 years. That being said, they are still in the lowest tiers of European professional hockey, and really need to try and develop the game in the west of Ukraine, if the game is ever going to get past where it is in this country.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Well, can anyone explain me what is happening with the Ukrainian league in couple of sentences? I just can't penetrate Ukrainian language articles. :/

GagneHanson12

Aug 15, 2011
This is decent article, but not explaining the real reason why this all mess started, Why did Donbass and Kramatorsk recalled national team players while there was international break?
My Ukrainian is pretty bad (despite following the league + Donbass in CHL and Kyiv in Continental Cup this year, hahaha) but from what I was able to read (and mainly google translate) it would seem that it is because the FHU fired the GM of the UHL after he spoke out against the racist gesture by Andrei Deniskin. (Hope this insta link works, its a post from HC Donbas stating so). Kramatorsk, and eventually the other teams that left the UHL (again from what I gathered) did so in solidarity.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Well, rip to Timashov chances with the ukraina NT. He has choosed to play for Team Sweden in Channel One Cup.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Well, rip to Timashov chances with the ukraina NT. He has choosed to play for Team Sweden in Channel One Cup.
Not that Timashov feels one bit Ukrainian or anything, but Channel One Cup is not binding as far as IIHF tournaments are concerned. Technically he will be able to play for Ukraine anyway if he wishes.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Lyalka has moved to Slovakia and Donbass picks up Kaleinikovas to replace him. Good news for both guys.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Ukraine may become a prime candidate for relegation into World Championship Division II if and when they can't fix the current rift.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
It's too bad really. I am Canadian, but my Mom's side of the family are Ukrainian-Canadians, so I like to follow Ukrainian hockey as hard as that is. Ukraine actually had a team at the World Jr. top division on a couple occassions - they didn't fair well mind you, but from the mid 90s to early 2000's it seemed like Ukraine was competitive, and a top 10-15 country. What happened since then? I know soccer is probably #1.....is there not an interest in the sport? Does it have more to do with grass roots level funding/interest? I know the political situation in Ukraine has been unstable.

I believe for a period of time, and it may still be the case, but wasn't there an issue where if a Ukrainian player was good enough to go play in the KHL, that they had to revoke their Ukrainian citizenship and become a Russian? I know guys like Khristich and Godynyuk had no choice but to play for the Russian (Soviet) U20 team as Ukraine had not regained it's independence yet in those tournaments.

Reactions: Valeson81

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
It's too bad really. I am Canadian, but my Mom's side of the family are Ukrainian-Canadians, so I like to follow Ukrainian hockey as hard as that is. Ukraine actually had a team at the World Jr. top division on a couple occassions - they didn't fair well mind you, but from the mid 90s to early 2000's it seemed like Ukraine was competitive, and a top 10-15 country. What happened since then? I know soccer is probably #1.....is there not an interest in the sport? Does it have more to do with grass roots level funding/interest? I know the political situation in Ukraine has been unstable.

I believe for a period of time, and it may still be the case, but wasn't there an issue where if a Ukrainian player was good enough to go play in the KHL, that they had to revoke their Ukrainian citizenship and become a Russian? I know guys like Khristich and Godynyuk had no choice but to play for the Russian (Soviet) U20 team as Ukraine had not regained it's independence yet in those tournaments.
Ukraine actually beat the US at the 96 world juniors but ended up getting relegated. They played in 2000 where they played a 10 minute mini game against the Slovaks for relegation and lost 1-0. They had split games 1 and 2.

They were back a final time in 2004 where they were absolutely shelled in the round robin. They have slid backwards since then.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
ukraine got beaten in all 3 games in christmas cup. Lost to France, Hungary, Poland....

Ukraine keeps falling down and down

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
ukraine got beaten in all 3 games in christmas cup. Lost to France, Hungary, Poland....

Ukraine keeps falling down and down
I mean they are D1B nation, how is it falling down and down? Falling down would be to lose to Spain or Belgium, not these teams.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What would a best possible Team Ukraine look like?

Kubrytskyi
Petrov
Ogandzhanyan

Yuldashev - Merezhko
Cholach - Lytvynov
Andreikiv - Aleksyuk

Mikhnov - Butsenko - Peresunko
Lyalka - Zakharov - Babinets
Morozov - Simchuk - Blagoy
Savchenko - Danylenko - Korenchuk

A wild shoot from me. Problay lots of wrong. Please correct me. But i think there is some good players. Just hope they all will be safe and can play together again. If all best possible suit up perhaps Ukraine can become a DIV 1 A level team.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Hopefully Padakin remembers about his birth country, he would be a very useful addition at 1B level. They are one solid goalie away from being 1A worthy (without Russia and Belarus).

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Hopefully Padakin remembers about his birth country, he would be a very useful addition at 1B level. They are one solid goalie away from being 1A worthy (without Russia and Belarus).
Hmm he did play for Ukraine in 2014. But played for russia as late as 2019. Not sure you can switch back.

There is also Alexei Mikhnov, brother to Andrei who is playing for Ukraine.

And this guy.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Hmm he did play for Ukraine in 2014. But played for russia as late as 2019. Not sure you can switch back.

There is also Alexei Mikhnov, brother to Andrei who is playing for Ukraine.

And this guy.
Padakin has never switched away, He is 100% eligible. The ones you list are not eligible and should be ignored.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Padakin has never switched away, He is 100% eligible.

2017-18
9.png
HK Sochi
KHL53922312221|Playoffs50118-3
31.png
Russia II (all)
International20110-|
2018-19
9.png
Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk
KHL508101818-11|
9.png
Bars Kazan
VHL300000|
31.png
Russia II (all)
International200027

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
You spend so much time on international section of this site and yet you can't bother to learn IIHF eligibility rules...

Only thing that matters is whether Padakin has played for Russia in IIHF sanctioned tournaments (World championships and Olympic games), and he has not done so. If player has appeared for one nation ( as Padakin last did in 2014 for Ukraine), he needs to spend 4 consecutive years playing in the nation he wants to switch his allegiance to. When he first appeared for Russia II in a meaningless unofficial game, he was not technically eligible to play for them in meaningful IIHF game. If he wanted he could switch to Russia today, but obviously that is not happening.

Therefore players you listed are as eligible to play for Ukraine as Wayne Gretzky is.

Reactions: Exarz

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
You spend so much time on international section of this site and yet you can't bother to learn IIHF eligibility rules...

Only thing that matters is whether Padakin has played for Russia in IIHF sanctioned tournaments (World championships and Olympic games), and he has not done so. If player has appeared for one nation ( as Padakin last did in 2014 for Ukraine), he needs to spend 4 consecutive years playing in the nation he wants to switch his allegiance to. When he first appeared for Russia II in a meaningless unofficial game, he was not technically eligible to play for them in meaningful IIHF game. If he wanted he could switch to Russia today, but obviously that is not happening.

Therefore players you listed are as eligible to play for Ukraine as Wayne Gretzky is.
Alright. I hope for Ukraines sake that Padakin gonna play for them again. Is he better as winger or center? EP has him listed as both.

Anyways his numbers in IceHL/EBEL not impressing. He did have good KHL stats but that was 2 seasons ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad