Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Sabres have high hopes for this guy, they will open up a spot for him in Rochester next year, the Sabres value him the same Anaheim valued Gibson or Philly valued Hart.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Rough night for Sudbury in Ottawa last night. Let's see how they bounce back in Game 2.

Getting roughed up every once in a while is terrific developmentally for a young goalie. Teaches resiliency.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Question is -- were they rough games by UPL, or are the 67s that good? Probably a little of both, but I'm leaning towards the 67s being that good.
Watched the game today. Despite the score UPL was actually their best player. Team in front of him was overwhelmed. 67s are a juggernaut this year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Looked like a number of them were odd-man rushes against. Hope he bounces back and turns this into a series.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
FYI game 4 between Ottawa and Sudbury is currently in Triple OT with a 2-2 score. 61 shots for Ottawa and 56 for Sudbury. A goaltender duel between UPL and DiPietro for the ages.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
FYI game 4 between Ottawa and Sudbury is currently in Triple OT with a 2-2 score. 61 shots for Ottawa and 56 for Sudbury. A goaltender duel between UPL and DiPietro for the ages.

Sudbury is really not in Ottawa's league. They rely on UPL but Ottawa have Dipietro who is probably the 2nd best goalie in the OHL.

The OT has been painful to watch as Sudbury hasn't really created any real chances in 2 and a half OT periods.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Ottawa wins on a PP in triple OT.

I don't think the Sabres could have hoped for a better developmental season for UPL.

Was basically MVP of the OHL carrying a Wolves team far beyond where they should have gone. Add in a WJC gold medal and he was fantastic this season.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Well, that was a fun season for us. Will never forget what UPL did for this franchise. You guys have an A+ goalie prospect, I sincerely mean that. Can only wish him all the best going forward.

If you have any more stud imports you want us to help you develop for a year, we're open to suggestions. Could use a top pairing dman or a winger to play with Byfield next year...

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Braden Wilson on wgr said this morning that he is expecting UPL to be assigned to Rochester in the next day or so.

Think he'd jump ahead of Wilcox for the #2 role and backup Wedgewood in the playoffs?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Think he'd jump ahead of Wilcox for the #2 role and backup Wedgewood in the playoffs?
I wouldn't even consider that, personally. Let him get into one of the garbage time games this weekend and see how he does, but I wouldn't be risking a young goalie's psyche on throwing him right into potential playoff action.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I wouldn't even consider that, personally. Let him get into one of the garbage time games this weekend and see how he does, but I wouldn't be risking a young goalie's psyche on throwing him right into potential playoff action.

Plus the Amerks have worked hard all year to be where they are, and the guys who've been playing deserve their chance to make a run. Unless Wedgewood gets hurt or totally shits the bed, UPL should be scratched for the playoff games. Just practicing with the team should be good for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad