Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I honestly believe he’s in Buffalo next year, if our goaltending struggles again this could be like the Flyers and Hart where we give UPL a look before the new year.

Too rushed. His technique needs lots of work. He needs to be a Rochester back-up or, ideally, start in Cincinnati. Go slow.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Agreed, there’s no reason to rush him we aren’t competing for awhile. Let him develop at a slow and steady rate.

We should be competing sooner than later. There's no reason it should be as difficult as the Sabres have made it look to put a playoff caliber supporting cast (+ coaching) around a franchise center and defenseman.

Definitely agree about not rushing UPL, though. His development is crucial, so we need to get it right.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
How did Barrasso play @ 18

That was 35 years ago.

Things have changed.

We will never see a player pull off what Barrasso did. He jumped from high school in his pre-draft season to playing in the NHL in his first post-draft season.

And not only that, but he had an amazing rookie where he won the Calder and Vezina Trophies and was the first team All-NHL goalie.

We will never see that again.

Reactions: Dingo44

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
That was 35 years ago.

Things have changed.

We will never see a player pull off what Barrasso did. He jumped from high school in his pre-draft season to playing in the NHL in his first post-draft season.

And not only that, but he had an amazing rookie where he won the Calder and Vezina Trophies and was the first team All-NHL goalie.

We will never see that again.
I agree we'll likely never see it to that level of award-winning success that Barrasso had, but we'll definitely see an 18yo goalie play in the NHL again. It's rare, but it happens.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I agree we'll likely never see it to that level of award-winning success that Barrasso had, but we'll definitely see an 18yo goalie play in the NHL again. It's rare, but it happens.
I didn’t realize how little it happens. Maybe the stats I’m reading are wrong but only 10 goalies played as 18 year olds, 8 started, and 4 played 29 games or more. Thibault, Lumley, Barrasso, Blackburn who did it last in 01-02

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Not on a regular basis.

The only time we will see it moving forward is on an injury emergency basis ala Biron in 95-96.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
People do something the same way until someone has success doing it differently. UPL is also 20 already. I wouldn't rule out a shot in NHL next year, especially if Sabres are desperate.

Possibly in the 2nd half.
He will be 21 next year and we have seen younger goalies getting a chance in the NHL such as Carter Hart, Sam Montembealt and Blackwood. Even Cal Pedersen.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Possibly in the 2nd half.
He will be 21 next year and we have seen younger goalies getting a chance in the NHL such as Carter Hart, Sam Montembealt and Blackwood. Even Cal Pedersen.

I would love for UPL to pull a Carter Hart next season but only recall him if he absolutely dominates the AHL of not keep him there for at least one full season .

Blackwood has 3 AHL seasons of at least 30 games before he got recalled to a full time basis

Peterson has a full year under his belt and still managed to play 32 games this season in the AHL and his stats tho are horrendous with a GAA of 4.13 and a save % is 895 so he should not be in the AHL and should be far away from the Kings Loosing ways .

Like I said if UPL absolutely dominates the AHL by all means recall him. We are going to be seeing a lot more Carter Hart like situations now that the NHL is going on this youthful trend

Reactions: Mitts888

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Sudbury the sweep, 32/33 saves for UPL

Next round will probably be against Ottawa, who is the favourite to win the league. UPL will need a huge series for Sudbury to have a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad