Post-Game Talk (GBU): Ugly in Saint Louie

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Myers gets walked once(not saying its his first time) and is now the worst player ever.

I give basically everyone on this roster a break.

How can you really go out and try to in games, knowing if you get the first pick you have a chance to play with a kid who's gonna be a future Hart Candidate.

I don't even get mad anymore, loved their battle last night.

Des spear was meh, kinda just poked him, Tarasenko sold it well and earned his team 3 goals. Good on his part. Weird how Lucic can spear someone in nads and its okay.

65 more to go!

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" - George Orwell

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Myers gets walked once(not saying its his first time) and is now the worst player ever.

I give basically everyone on this roster a break.

How can you really go out and try to in games, knowing if you get the first pick you have a chance to play with a kid who's gonna be a future Hart Candidate.

I don't even get mad anymore, loved their battle last night.

Des spear was meh, kinda just poked him, Tarasenko sold it well and earned his team 3 goals. Good on his part. Weird how Lucic can spear someone in nads and its okay.

65 more to go!

At the end of a 90 second shift no less. Yes, he has made a few mistakes the last few games. I don't think anyone would suggest otherwise. I find it interesting in a few folks' eyes though, that it's suddenly determined Myers' is someone who hasn't "panned out."

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
At the end of a 90 second shift no less. Yes, he has made a few mistakes the last few games. I don't think anyone would suggest otherwise. I find it interesting in a few folks' eyes though, that it's suddenly determined Myers' is someone who hasn't "panned out."

It's not suddenly for me. I like Myers but I just don't think he has the hockey IQ to be top pairing Dman on contending team. That's what I'm finally seeing now that he's assumed top pairing role. I know the Chara comparison but Myers is not going to be a Chara IMO. If we can get Nuke for him, sign me up. I don't know enough about Larkin to give an opinion.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
It's not suddenly for me. I like Myers but I just don't think he has the hockey IQ to be top pairing Dman on contending team. That's what I'm finally seeing now that he's assumed top pairing role. I know the Chara comparison but Myers is not going to be a Chara IMO. If we can get Nuke for him, sign me up. I don't know enough about Larkin to give an opinion.

So you would give someone, who at worst is going to be a second paring Dman on a contending team, for an unproven, but talented winger? No, that would be stupid.

And no one has compared Myers to Chara in a very long time.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Yep and Schwartz knew that and attacked him 1 on 1 because of it. Those were Schwartz own comments by the way from his post game interview on NBCSN for those that don't know.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
So you would give someone, who at worst is going to be a second paring Dman on a contending team, for an unproven, but talented winger? No, that would be stupid.

And no one has compared Myers to Chara in a very long time.

The comparison with Chara was him becoming elite in his late 20's. Not that he plays like him. I was vague with that so I could see how you could take it that way, especially since you think I'm stupid.

As for calling me stupid on Nich for Myers, seems a bit harsh but to each his own. I think it's fair value but I'm real high on Nich and you have to take chances (and be right with them like LA) to win a cup.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

The newest phrase is, "Myers low hockey IQ."

:shakehead

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The comparison with Chara was him becoming elite in his late 20's. Not that he plays like him. I was vague with that so I could see how you could take it that way, especially since you think I'm stupid.

As for calling me stupid on Nich for Myers, seems a bit harsh but to each his own. I think it's fair value but I'm real high on Nich and you have to take chances (and be right with them like LA) to win a cup.
Even then, there are better comparisons for Myers, like a giant (poor man's) Scott Niedermayer.

Both broke into the league on the back of tremendous mobility and puck rushing talent. Both struggled taking the next step and adapting to coaches who doubled down on their systems when faced with adversity; and in each case the difficulties were compounded by injury. Both were temporarily leapfrogged in the lineup by players with more shift-by-shift consistency (Rafalski, Sekera). Then, later in his career, Niedermayer suddenly put everything together, should have won the 03 Smythe, and won two Norrises. Even if Myers "eureka!" moment doesn't carry him to those heights, he still has several years to put it together, we've just had a longer look at his growing pains than most.

And if your (the general your, not just the guy I'm quoting) response is "nyah nyah, he'll never be Niedermayer, you dummy," remember that Andrej Sekera was battling Chris Butler for a lineup spot at the same age and Brian Campbell was playing 50 games on the hysterically mediocre 03-04 team.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I don't know if I like throwing Risto and Zadorov into the fire. It's fun to watch them play, but it seems like an Oilers thing to do.

Most teams shelter their young guys on the 3rd pairing with an experienced vet, not throw them together on the 2nd pairing.

Bps21*

Ristolainen earned more play time. It's counter productive to make him play less when he earns more.

What Edmonton does is like what we did with Grigorenko under Darcy. "Oh well...we don't have another option so you play here". That isn't this.

I swear everyone who makes a false Edmonton comparison should be locked out of the forum for a week. It's out of control and always wrong.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013

That's what I was thinking when reading the thread but it's not surprising to see negative Myers comments after making such an obvious play (and that's coming from someone who has been on the anti-Myers bandwagon since last season). Every defenceman will have a couple of plays like that over their careers but it doesn't mean they aren't a good player. Sure it's fresh in our minds and it led to a goal but if you were on the fence about Myers don't let that one play be the deciding factor. Once you notice he's on the ice keep your eyes on him as best you can, see how he plays without the puck in relation to what's happening around him and form an opinion. It's easy to be a prisoner of the moment in these GBU threads. He could be placed in the B or U sections without writing him off as a player.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Ristolainen earned more play time. It's counter productive to make him play less when he earns more.

What Edmonton does is like what we did with Grigorenko under Darcy. "Oh well...we don't have another option so you play here". That isn't this.

I swear everyone who makes a false Edmonton comparison should be locked out of the forum for a week. It's out of control and always wrong.

Okay there, dude :laugh:

If not Ristolainen, then Zadorov. His play in the defensive zone doesn't warrant top 4 minutes - though I like his involvement on offense.

I have never been a fan of giving rookie defence too many minutes.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
Okay there, dude :laugh:

If not Ristolainen, then Zadorov. His play in the defensive zone doesn't warrant top 4 minutes - though I like his involvement on offense.

I have never been a fan of giving rookie defence too many minutes.

We don't want Zadorov to go back to KHL. It's either NHL or KHL.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Oh, that provides a little context to that one. The other one I remember was in the first. A Blues player took a chop at Neuvirth and Weber responded with a hack at the offending player. He got surprising angry when the guy returned the favor - seemed like it could've been a fight if the refs weren't pulling them apart.

Yeah, that was Backes. He took a grand swipe at Noidberg while prone on the ice, Weber shoved him out, and Backes cross-checked him across the knees like Nathan Gerbe might do.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
Yeah, that was Backes. He took a grand swipe at Noidberg while prone on the ice, Weber shoved him out, and Backes cross-checked him across the knees like Nathan Gerbe might do.

Right, I guess they make more sense when I think about the tit for tat reactions and factor in the earlier mixups. At the time, though, I just remember being shocked by how obviously Weber wanted to injure Backes/Steen. I still think that sort of reaction is uncalled for, but now I see it wasn't completely out of nowhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad