Ugliest. Trophy. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
It's below average IMO, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it is awful.

We should also keep in mind we are spoiled with the Stanley Cup. A thing of absolute beauty.

xerburt

Jul 25, 2002
vancouver
Visit site
Very true.

Name another trophy from any other league/event that comes close to Lord Stanley and I'll be impressed. Now compare this trophy for the World Cup of Hockey to those same ones (NBA, MLB, etc.) and it's actually not that bad.

Although I must admit, I think the Wimbledon "plates" are pretty nice.

High flyin' Habs*

burnlikestars said:
does anybody have a picture? I turned the tv off in disgust and missed the presentation

What were you disgusted about?

High flyin' Habs*

The trophy is kinda ugly but who cares what the trophy looks like? Canada won!

eSabre

Dec 14, 2002
Nashville, TN
3rdmanin.wordpress.com
On ESPN they said that the reason they didn't use the trophy from '96 (which looked pretty good), was that the players complained it was too heavy to carry around. The guy who designed it had good intentions, but come on, trophies can not look like plastic.

High flyin' Habs*

eSabre said:
On ESPN they said that the reason they didn't use the trophy from '96 (which looked pretty good), was that the players complained it was too heavy to carry around. The guy who designed it had good intentions, but come on, trophies can not look like plastic.

It cant be that heavy!! What can be heavier than the stanley cup??

BCCHL inactive

smoothskater said:
It cant be that heavy!! What can be heavier than the stanley cup??

The 1996 World Cup trophy was roughly 50 pounds. That is about 20 pounds heavier than the Stanley Cup.

High flyin' Habs*

Van said:
The 1996 World Cup trophy was roughly 50 pounds. That is about 20 pounds heavier than the Stanley Cup.

And hockey players whinne about how stanley is heavy?

aj

Mar 19, 2004
London, England
Does it have water in the outside part, so you can freeze it, and it'll keep your beer cold like a really big frosty mug?

If that's not the case, then I just don't understand it.

Jacques Strappe

Feb 12, 2004
Halifax
Any of you guys who are married will know what I'm talking about here ......
I think the players had the same feeling when hoisting that cup around that we all have when our wives ask us to hold her purse 'for a moment' while she goes to try on some new clothes. You ever try to look macho doing that :help: :shakehead
That's why they only skated for about 4 seconds each....

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I thought the trophy looked alright actually...although I had no problem with the 1996 cup either, and realize why they couldn't use the much nicer canada cup trophy.
I think a lot of the players were nervous about how to hold the trophy...I know the unveiling showed that the medal piece in the middle were I believe players names are inscribed comes out...nobody wanted to do what the Conference final trophies do, and have the lid fall off or something...

High flyin' Habs*

I think that the plastic covering makes the new cup look so ugly. It would be better without.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
smoothskater said:
I think that the plastic covering makes the new cup look so ugly. It would be better without.
Apparently the guy who designed it (an architect.... I'd hate to some of this guy's buildings......) says it's a metaphor for ice.

It really is one of the most unattractive trophies I've ever seen -- God knows how much he was paid to come up with this monstrosity. I'd bet each of us could come up with something better looking, with very little difficulty.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Charlie_Girl49 said:
I'd bet each of us could come up with something better looking, with very little difficulty.

I understand he's an architect, but its obvious the guy knew little to nothing regarding hockey when designing it. Its a metaphor for Ice & Steel? Would the NBA ask a famous interior decorator to design trophy, based on the spirit of the Net & the backcourt? What about the NFL asking for a sculpture capturing the spirit of the Turf & the Pigskin? A better question is, who was he really commisioned by?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad