Ugliest. Trophy. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Here's my problem with this trophy

Straight from the designer's mouth

"I've seen all of the [NHL] trophies," he said. "They are all very traditional. I think the one thing about the existing World Cup trophy is that it broke from all that tradition and it opened the door for us to do a new one that continued the break of tradition."

I can't speak for the rest of you, but the tradition of the sport is of major importance to me. I look back on the history of the game with reverence and appreciate the sport from where it came from and all of those that have made the game what it is today for me.

The trend to break tradition and dis-associate itself from that tradition, i.e. taking away the Wales and Campbell from the conferences and the Division names of Patrick, Adams, Norris and Smyth is very very sad and I resent Bettman and the owners for it. Bettman for suggesting it and the Owners for allowing it.

This sport is rich in tradition and at every opportunity it should be incorporated into what ever is being done in terms of Trophies and logo's.

Again, I can't speak for anyone else, but that's just my opinion.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Mis-spoke

pld459666 said:
Straight from the designer's mouth

"I've seen all of the [NHL] trophies," he said. "They are all very traditional. I think the one thing about the existing World Cup trophy is that it broke from all that tradition and it opened the door for us to do a new one that continued the break of tradition."

I can't speak for the rest of you, but the tradition of the sport is of major importance to me. I look back on the history of the game with reverence and appreciate the sport from where it came from and all of those that have made the game what it is today for me.

The trend to break tradition and dis-associate itself from that tradition, i.e. taking away the Wales and Campbell from the conferences and the Division names of Patrick, Adams, Norris and Smyth is very very sad and I resent Bettman and the owners for it. Bettman for suggesting it and the Owners for allowing it.

This sport is rich in tradition and at every opportunity it should be incorporated into what ever is being done in terms of Trophies and logo's.

Again, I can't speak for anyone else, but that's just my opinion.

As I didn't realize he stated that he's continuing a trend of breaking with tradition in designing this new one.

I personally liked the previous version since was in the shape of the World Cup Logo, just that it extended like a trail.

aj

Mar 19, 2004
London, England
He's created the tradition of the giant Frosty Mug! :handclap:

Can't have the team's champagne/beer/other drink of choice getting cold during the celebrations, can we?

AgentOrange*

How can he design that and actually thinks it looks good. How can others approve it?

:shakehead

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Ah, it wasn't that bad, guys. As somebody said, we're spoiled by Stanley.

If the old World Cup trophy was too heavy, why not simply make it out of new materials?

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Yes, that is truly an ugly trophy :) I bought the official World Cup guide some time before the World Cup began and the trophy was on the cover, and I was thinking is that a toy for children! like someone mention it before, the trophy does look like a piece of plastic. They should make a trophy with a world globe on it next time, after all it is the "World Cup".

Kravitch

I guess it makes a good excuse for all the other nations.

Canadian fan: "We won the World Cup!"

Other fan: "Oh yeah, we didn't want that vase anyway!"

tmangos

Jul 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'm wondering ... does each player on the winning team get to have it for a day?
I hope so. Maybe we can convince Thornton to take it over to Sweden and "accidentally misplace" it or something ...

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
Frank Gehry is one of the world's most celebrated modern architects, having designed the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao and the new bandshell in Chicago.

He was born in Timmins, Ontario and played hockey as a youth.

That said, I don't think this trophy represents his best work.

I commend the NHL for trying to do something non-conventional, but this trophy just doesn't work as well as everyone intended....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad