GDT: UFC on ESPN: Smith vs. Teixeira

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think it's Reyes next for Jones. Who do you like v Glover if they do that rematch?
Depends on Santos' status. If he's ready, maybe Glover vs. Santos since Santos already KO'ed Jan. If he's not, then Glover vs. Jan makes sense.

Reactions: CDJ and m9

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Man UFC 250 looks weak, how is that card not an absolute f***ing banger??? The ME is a complete snoozer, just skip the fight and raise Nunes's arm in the locker room. I dont even know the two fighters in the co-main...

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Man UFC 250 looks weak, how is that card not an absolute f***ing banger??? The ME is a complete snoozer, just skip the fight and raise Nunes's arm in the locker room. I dont even know the two fighters in the co-main...

The card isn't complete yet.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They’ll make 250 good, I’m not too concerned about that

If they do a Reyes rematch with Jones it should go Jan/Glover for next up and Thiago vs Corey Anderson. Then Thiago can go from there and hopefully get a rematch with Jon

I honestly thought he beat Jon....in my eyes Jones has lost two in a row. He’s quite lucky Santos hurt that knee early.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
They’ll make 250 good, I’m not too concerned about that

If they do a Reyes rematch with Jones it should go Jan/Glover for next up and Thiago vs Corey Anderson. Then Thiago can go from there and hopefully get a rematch with Jon

I honestly thought he beat Jon....in my eyes Jones has lost two in a row. He’s quite lucky Santos hurt that knee early.
That's why I think he should be in the #1 contender fight right away if he's ready to go. I don't know if he beat Jones or not, but with it being that close on half a leg, he at least deserves an opportunity to get back to the title ASAP.

Corey Anderson isn't exactly a tune-up fight IMO and even if he beats him, then what? He still needs another one to get a title shot? Or he waits it out for who knows how long for Jones-Reyes and then Jan/Glover to get their shot? If Jones loses at any point, you got to think he gets an immediate rematch right away if he wants, too.

Reactions: CDJ

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I think that's the Glover special nowadays :laugh:
Danbury REPRESENT!!!
FB_IMG_1583076353534.jpg

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Just saw a tweet with what I think was him giving his tooth to the official.

Give him props for sticking through it. But near the end of the second, Smith was super gassed and swinging random punches hoping to connect.
It felt like watching one of those old Pride fights where the Japanese fighter was getting pummeled and the ref wasn't going to stop it until the guy died.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That's why I think he should be in the #1 contender fight right away if he's ready to go. I don't know if he beat Jones or not, but with it being that close on half a leg, he at least deserves an opportunity to get back to the title ASAP.

Corey Anderson isn't exactly a tune-up fight IMO and even if he beats him, then what? He still needs another one to get a title shot? Or he waits it out for who knows how long for Jones-Reyes and then Jan/Glover to get their shot? If Jones loses at any point, you got to think he gets an immediate rematch right away if he wants, too.

Why would you not consider Anderson a tune-up fight for Santos? Santos would be favored in that fight, and beating Anderson is probably enough for Santos to get a title shot. I mean, we're discussing Blachovicz getting a title shot and his biggest recent win was over Anderson himself.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Why would you not consider Anderson a tune-up fight for Santos? Santos would be favored in that fight, and beating Anderson is probably enough for Santos to get a title shot. I mean, we're discussing Blachovicz getting a title shot and his biggest recent win was over Anderson himself.
I don't think tune up fights really exist in the UFC. Sure, he'd be favored against Anderson, but Anderson is more than capable of winning that fight.

I'm not sure a win over Anderson is enough to get a shot before Jan/Glover if they do that fight at roughly the same time. Since Santos lost to Jones, Jan would have wins over Rockhold, Jacare, Anderson, and then Glover. Glover would have wins over Krylov, Smith, and then Jan (plus wins over Cutelaba and Roberson before that). The UFC will of course do whatever they want, but it makes it more of a question IMO.

So basically, I think the risk/reward is not there for Santos to fight Anderson. If I was him, I'd rather get Glover or even a rematch with Jan in a true #1 contender fight to all but guarantee I was next in line. He'd be favored against both of those guys, too.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think tune up fights really exist in the UFC. Sure, he'd be favored against Anderson, but Anderson is more than capable of winning that fight.

I'm not sure a win over Anderson is enough to get a shot before Jan/Glover if they do that fight at roughly the same time. Since Santos lost to Jones, Jan would have wins over Rockhold, Jacare, Anderson, and then Glover. Glover would have wins over Krylov, Smith, and then Jan (plus wins over Cutelaba and Roberson before that). The UFC will of course do whatever they want, but it makes it more of a question IMO.

So basically, I think the risk/reward is not there for Santos to fight Anderson. If I was him, I'd rather get Glover or even a rematch with Jan in a true #1 contender fight to all but guarantee I was next in line. He'd be favored against both of those guys, too.

I just think that Anderson is the easiest matchup for Santos out of all those top guys and that's not a bad thing considering he's coming back from some brutal injuries, so it's as close to a tune-up fight as he's going to get. I'm fine with the Jan rematch too though as it will be easier for Santos since they already fought.

I think lots depends on what Jon Jones does too with him teasing things at HW. I think Jones will stick around for the Reyes rematch and maybe the Jan fight since it's fresh, but I'm not sure what kind of interest he'll have in rematches against guys like Glover or Santos.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I just think that Anderson is the easiest matchup for Santos out of all those top guys and that's not a bad thing considering he's coming back from some brutal injuries, so it's as close to a tune-up fight as he's going to get. I'm fine with the Jan rematch too though as it will be easier for Santos since they already fought.

I think lots depends on what Jon Jones does too with him teasing things at HW. I think Jones will stick around for the Reyes rematch and maybe the Jan fight since it's fresh, but I'm not sure what kind of interest he'll have in rematches against guys like Glover or Santos.
I don't think Anderson is as easy of a fight as you seem to. He's got wins over Glover and Jan, so it's not like he's some chump. The odds of him beating one over another one is pretty negligible in my mind, so go for the one that would guarantee a title shot.

I'm also not sure how much wrestling you want to do coming back from 2 knee surgeries. It might be easier on him to mostly stand with guys like Jan or Glover.

I'm over Jones teasing HW stuff. He's been doing it for years. As much I want it to happen, either shut up or do it already.

Reactions: CDJ and m9

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
From Ariel Helwani's Twitter
Just spoke to Anthony Smith via text.

Injuries suffered tonight: Broken nose, broken orbital bone, two missing teeth and a cut under his right eye. One tooth in front and one towards the back, he said. His real teeth.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Injuries suffered tonight: Broken nose, broken orbital bone, two missing teeth and a cut under his right eye. One tooth in front and one towards the back, he said. His real teeth.

He got beat up worse than Ferguson.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

Did he already have veneers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad