GDT: UFC Fight Night: Rodríguez vs. Stephens

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I don't think Jeremy backed out like Kongo either. Probably scratched his cornea.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Put it on UFC 244 or UFC 245.

Or any of the upcoming Fight Nights, actually.

It's a great addition for any card but it all depends on Stephens' eye. Hopefully he's okay but if not, Yair should try to get on one of those cards against someone else.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
It's a great addition for any card but it all depends on Stephens' eye. Hopefully he's okay but if not, Yair should try to get on one of those cards against someone else.

Honestly he looked soft and hasn't fought for a while with injury.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Honestly he looked soft and hasn't fought for a while with injury.

Yeah, the long layoff is why I think he should try to fight this year. In November it'll be a year since he last fought. Ideally Stephens isn't seriously hurt and can fight soon so you run it back but he should fight someone else if that's not an option.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, the long layoff is why I think he should try to fight this year. In November it'll be a year since he last fought. Ideally Stephens isn't seriously hurt and can fight soon so you run it back but he should fight someone else if that's not an option.

I think he gets lit up by the top 5.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Definitely not. The doctor couldn't even open it by force.

Ya that was really bad. Yair actually had the audacity to accuse Stephens of faking it. I'm sure Jeremy spent $30K of his own money to train in Mexico City for 6 weeks to come out blow off the fight the first chance he got. The Todd Duffee situation last week, I can see being skeptical about. But like you said, the doctor could barely pry his eyelids apart after five minutes.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Grasso very clearly won that fight. That said, based on the scoring system the decision was correct. Just unfortunate when the clearly better fighter on that night doesn't leave with the W.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Ya that was really bad. Yair actually had the audacity to accuse Stephens of faking it. I'm sure Jeremy spent $30K of his own money to train in Mexico City for 6 weeks to come out blow off the fight the first chance he got. The Todd Duffee situation last week, I can see being skeptical about. But like you said, the doctor could barely pry his eyelids apart after five minutes.
Did Yair question it? I must have missed that. Really disappointing if he did. Stephens is a tough dude that has gone in there with the best of the best ready to throw down every time. There's no way he was trying to find a way out 15 seconds into the fight.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Did Yair question it? I must have missed that. Really disappointing if he did. Stephens is a tough dude that has gone in there with the best of the best ready to throw down every time. There's no way he was trying to find a way out 15 seconds into the fight.

He didn't come right out and throw him under the bus, but in a roundabout way he questioned him and basically stated it was Stephens' fault for the fight not continuing:

“My family came here, all my friends came here, and you always have to give the benefit of the doubt to your opponent. You don’t know how he’s feeling. But he’s the only one who is going to have to live with that in his mind for the rest of his life, if it was a lie.”

“You always have to give the benefit of the doubt,” Rodriguez said. “I can’t imagine how it feels to have an eye poke. But I know how it feels to have an eye closed, and I still fought. But that’s up to me. But even with that, I told them I could see. I was ready to go in the third round because I said, ‘Yes, I could see,’ even if it was a lie. But everybody is different in this sport. The only one that has to live with that is Jeremy Stephens. I understand. I’m giving him completely the benefit of the doubt.”

Reactions: pistolpete11

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
He didn't come right out and throw him under the bus, but in a roundabout way he questioned him and basically stated it was Stephens' fault for the fight not continuing:

“My family came here, all my friends came here, and you always have to give the benefit of the doubt to your opponent. You don’t know how he’s feeling. But he’s the only one who is going to have to live with that in his mind for the rest of his life, if it was a lie.”

“You always have to give the benefit of the doubt,” Rodriguez said. “I can’t imagine how it feels to have an eye poke. But I know how it feels to have an eye closed, and I still fought. But that’s up to me. But even with that, I told them I could see. I was ready to go in the third round because I said, ‘Yes, I could see,’ even if it was a lie. But everybody is different in this sport. The only one that has to live with that is Jeremy Stephens. I understand. I’m giving him completely the benefit of the doubt.”

That's disgusting. The only one that has to live with being responsible for the no contest is Yair himself. How about don't carelessly throw your open hand toward your opponent's face like that. The audacity to try to roll this on Stephens. He's an equally big POS as the crowd who threw all the shit at Stephens.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad