GDT: UFC Fight Night: Rodríguez vs. Stephens

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm always hesitant to rip into someone whose comments are being translated from another language, but if that's what Yair was actually trying to say that's pretty weak. You messed up Yair - it happens, but at least own it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm always hesitant to rip into someone whose comments are being translated from another language, but if that's what Yair was actually trying to say that's pretty weak. You messed up Yair - it happens, but at least own it.

He said it in English and he speaks perfect English. Not a big deal but also not a great look. He was pawing at Stephens' face and clearly got him in the eye.

Reactions: m9

member 51464

If this is a DQ no decision for a foul, shouldn't anyone about to lose their belt or any fight just eye poke the shit out of someone? I feel like it has to be a DQ loss for Yair.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If this is a DQ no decision for a foul, shouldn't anyone about to lose their belt or any fight just eye poke the **** out of someone? I feel like it has to be a DQ loss for Yair.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's up to the ref to determine if it was an intentional foul or not. If he says it is then it's a DQ. If he says it was accidental then it's a no contest. So someone could try that if they're losing but they could easily just get DQ'd immediately.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If this is a DQ no decision for a foul, shouldn't anyone about to lose their belt or any fight just eye poke the **** out of someone? I feel like it has to be a DQ loss for Yair.

Fighters will just have to learn how to defend against it

CTVn4JgUcAAn1Ei.jpg

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

That would be an intentional foul(s) then and the ref could rule the fight a DQ win for the victim. But in this case, just as Stephens didn't fake an injury, Yair didn't intentionally poke Stephens eyes 15 seconds into the fight. Herb got everything right in this case, kudos for him to control the situation as long as he did and allow Stephens to have the full 5 minutes in order to try and regain his vision before having the doctor call the fight off.

I could be wrong here as well, but I thought in the instance where a fighter can no longer continue due to a foul that has occurred over halfway through a fight, they can decide to have the fight go to a judges decision at that point?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's up to the ref to determine if it was an intentional foul or not. If he says it is then it's a DQ. If he says it was accidental then it's a no contest. So someone could try that if they're losing but they could easily just get DQ'd immediately.

I think this is correct as well.

That would be an intentional foul(s) then and the ref could rule the fight a DQ win for the victim. But in this case, just as Stephens didn't fake an injury, Yair didn't intentionally poke Stephens eyes 15 seconds into the fight. Herb got everything right in this case, kudos for him to control the situation as long as he did and allow Stephens to have the full 5 minutes in order to try and regain his vision before having the doctor call the fight off.

I could be wrong here as well, but I thought in the instance where a fighter can no longer continue due to a foul that has occurred over halfway through a fight, they can decide to have the fight go to a judges decision at that point?

I personally like what Herb Dean did but I don't think it was correct as you don't actually get 5 minutes for an eye poke like you would say, a groin strike

As for if the fight was over halfway completed, yes they would go to the scorecards including the partial round but only in specific cases. If an illegal strike causes the fight to end immediately, the fighter loses by DQ. That's why Jon Jones would have lost vs Anthony Smith if Smith didn't continue. However if someone is hit with an illegal strike and then later on the fight is stopped due to something related to the illegal strike the fight goes to the cards. How the fight is judged at that point depends on what happened (illegal strike vs accidental) as there are different rules to protect the guy who got hit illegally.

All that being said, those are the Unified rules (at least to my knowledge) however in some places they use different rulesets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Griffin

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
In Yair's defense, I think it's tough to be objective in that situation. You just wanna fight and win the fight, you can't face the reality that it's your fault and the dude is really hurt, and so you use that 1% of uncertainty to make yourself feel better. Just playing devil's advocate and trying to see it from his perspective- if I trip a guy in hockey and he breaks his leg, at a certain point I'm hoping he's faking and that he'll have to live with feeling bad, not me.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
In Yair's defense, I think it's tough to be objective in that situation. You just wanna fight and win the fight, you can't face the reality that it's your fault and the dude is really hurt, and so you use that 1% of uncertainty to make yourself feel better. Just playing devil's advocate and trying to see it from his perspective- if I trip a guy in hockey and he breaks his leg, at a certain point I'm hoping he's faking and that he'll have to live with feeling bad, not me.
I'd give him some leeway in the octagon immediately after, but during the post-fight show? Nah, he's had enough time to cool down and to realize he f***ed up, that Stephens is one of the toughest dudes in the division, and that there is no reason for him to be looking for an out 15 seconds into the fight.

Reactions: member 51464

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

Already happened, Li Jingliang vs Jake Matthews. Li was in a guillotine choke and he clawed Matthews in the eyes to get out of it.

Eye pokes/gouging is a serious foul and fighters need to be held accountable even if it's 'accidental'. Harming your opponent's vision can have a drastic impact on the fight, as well as the potential for permanent or long-term damage.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
"I've never been cut from the UFC for backing out of fights." - Stephens. Got him there :laugh:

Yair is still talking shit on Twitter. Apparently there is some talk about rebooking it for the Fight Night in Boston that just lost Kattar-Zabit. Hopefully Stephens is medically cleared because it was a good fight before. It's even better now. Strike while the iron is hot.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
"I've never been cut from the UFC for backing out of fights." - Stephens. Got him there :laugh:

Yair is still talking **** on Twitter. Apparently there is some talk about rebooking it for the Fight Night in Boston that just lost Kattar-Zabit. Hopefully Stephens is medically cleared because it was a good fight before. It's even better now. Strike while the iron is hot.

That works.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's sad that this late addition to the card is literally the only decent fight on it. Bad overall event.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00