GDT: UFC Fight Night: Lee vs. Oliveira

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Well Trump is expected to declare a state of national emergency at 3:00pm today. We'll see if the UFC sticks with their plans.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I may change my opinion at some point, but I honestly think the UFC's approach is perfectly fine as of now. They're limiting interactions and once a guy fights they are easily able to go into isolation for a couple weeks afterwards since they won't be fighting for awhile. Yes there will still be some risk but I don't think it's that much more than what most of us are doing right now ourselves. They are setup uniquely from other sports where that the competing athletes can come in, do their job, and then go home after for a long period of time.

But some UFC fighters are going to get it and then the media will go crazy and they will be forced to shut things down. It's just inevitable.
I don't think it will be a 'disaster' per se. The chances someone dies from it that is directly related to the UFC is probably pretty small. But I still think it's just a little bit irresponsible. It's not just the fights. They have fighters and their teams flying from all round the world, passing though airports, using the same locker rooms, staying at the same hotels, etc. Commissions would potentially be exposed. Doctors. Other UFC staff. It might turn out to be fine, but it's not really helping to halt the spread or potential spread of the virus.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think it will be a 'disaster' per se. The chances someone dies from it that is directly related to the UFC is probably pretty small. But I still think it's just a little bit irresponsible. It's not just the fights. They have fighters and their teams flying from all round the world, passing though airports, using the same locker rooms, staying at the same hotels, etc. Commissions would potentially be exposed. Doctors. Other UFC staff. It might turn out to be fine, but it's not really helping to halt the spread or potential spread of the virus.

Lots of businesses will have similar issues & decisions to make over the next few weeks.

But yes, plenty of potential issues which is why they will likely get shut down fairly quickly.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Lots of businesses will have similar issues & decisions to make over the next few weeks.

But yes, plenty of potential issues which is why they will likely get shut down fairly quickly.
Right, but if you know it's inevitable and that it's potentially making the issue worse, why not just take those precautions now instead of waiting for someone in the UFC to actually get it?

Anyway, like I said, selfishly, I'm glad because it gives me something to watch. I just think it's stupid and in the grand scheme of things, irresponsible and not necessary.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Right, but if you know it's inevitable and that it's potentially making the issue worse, why not just take those precautions now instead of waiting for someone in the UFC to actually get it?

Anyway, like I said, selfishly, I'm glad because it gives me something to watch. I just think it's stupid and in the grand scheme of things, irresponsible and not necessary.

Sure, but the majority of people are doing jobs that are "not necessary" and for now many of them are continuing in some respect. I have been in facilities this week where their plan going forward is to make safer production lines, safer work flows, designating alternate shifts, or having some staff work from home. But at the end of the day, for now they are continuing to work in some respect. That is how I see the UFC, albeit in a very public light that leaves them open for scrutiny. Once fighters come forward with the virus (and they will) they are going to get killed in the media for it.

As for going ahead with this card in particular, the majority of the potential issues (training, travel, etc) were already done so I really have no issues at all with it. I figure there's about a 25% chance of the card next week actually happening.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Most excited for the Dvorak fight, watched all of Dvorak's recent fights and he looks good I think he wins this one pretty convincingly.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Sure, but the majority of people are doing jobs that are "not necessary" and for now many of them are continuing in some respect. I have been in facilities this week where their plan going forward is to make safer production lines, safer work flows, designating alternate shifts, or having some staff work from home. But at the end of the day, for now they are continuing to work in some respect. That is how I see the UFC, albeit in a very public light that leaves them open for scrutiny. Once fighters come forward with the virus (and they will) they are going to get killed in the media for it.

As for going ahead with this card in particular, the majority of the potential issues (training, travel, etc) were already done so I really have no issues at all with it. I figure there's about a 25% chance of the card next week actually happening.
Every company should be taking every possible precaution they can or else they should be criticized. True the UFC is more public than most of them, but that's even more reason for them to take those precautions. It's not realistic for most companies to completely shut down, but there are some big differences between most companies and the UFC. 1) Most companies aren't sending teams of people around the world 2) Most companies aren't giving out $300M in dividends.

By the way, Bellator is paying their fighters their show money despite cancelling their event.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Every company should be taking every possible precaution they can or else they should be criticized. True the UFC is more public than most of them, but that's even more reason for them to take those precautions. It's not realistic for most companies to completely shut down, but there are some big differences between most companies and the UFC. 1) Most companies aren't sending teams of people around the world 2) Most companies aren't giving out $300M in dividends.

By the way, Bellator is paying their fighters their show money despite cancelling their event.

I think once you make them travel and weigh-in you have to pay them. I'm sure the UFC would do the same if they cancelled the card today. The issue is how they would handle future cards, and for that I'm not sure. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I may change my opinion at some point, but I honestly think the UFC's approach is perfectly fine as of now. They're limiting interactions and once a guy fights they are easily able to go into isolation for a couple weeks afterwards since they won't be fighting for awhile. Yes there will still be some risk but I don't think it's that much more than what most of us are doing right now ourselves. They are setup uniquely from other sports where that the competing athletes can come in, do their job, and then go home after for a long period of time.

But some UFC fighters are going to get it and then the media will go crazy and they will be forced to shut things down. It's just inevitable.

The coming and going part is probably the most worrisome to be honest. A lot of fighters, different countries, different airports, etc. They should be okay once they actually get to the hotel and take the necessary precautions. I can't imagine them continuing on for too much longer but hopefully all goes well.

It's too bad Lee missed weight. He shouldn't be fighting at 155 and he might be too small for 170.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I really wished they’d open up 165. Have a 175. Let Kamaru pick which belt he wants (probably 175 because he walks around 200+)

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think once you make them travel and weigh-in you have to pay them. I'm sure the UFC would do the same if they cancelled the card today. The issue is how they would handle future cards, and for that I'm not sure. We'll see what happens.
But they took a financial hit to do the right thing.

...although, I do agree that once you're past the travel and weigh-ins, the riskiest parts have already been done.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I really wished they’d open up 165. Have a 175. Let Kamaru pick which belt he wants (probably 175 because he walks around 200+)

165, 175, 185, 195

It's inevitable, so I'm not really sure why the UFC is in such opposition to it

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
But they took a financial hit to do the right thing.

...although, I do agree that once you're past the travel and weigh-ins, the riskiest parts have already been done.

Yeah, not sure if being in the US vs Brazil came into play at all given the current cases. Oh well.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
165, 175, 185, 195

It's inevitable, so I'm not really sure why the UFC is in such opposition to it

honestly makes no sense to me why they are so against it

safer for the fighters, gives you more belts to use as headliners....it’s not like the divisions that would lose fighters to the new weight classes are thin when it comes to depth. Maybe you lose some 205’ers to 195, but that division also has some up and comers so I think you’d only see guys like Santos/smith/weidman/Souza/Yoel do 195. Would pretty much be a veteran division lol

It should already be a thing

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
How is Maleki a pro fighter? Yea she won but she's out of the UFC in 2 years max, that was f***ing painful to watch.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Also big shout out to Dvorak for making me a bunch of cash.

Much love bro

member 51464

How is Maleki a pro fighter? Yea she won but she's out of the UFC in 2 years max, that was f***ing painful to watch.
Isn't she incredibly attractive? A Brazilian friend was talking about one of the women on the undercard only fighting again to get Instagram followers, lol. Maybe that was her?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Isn't she incredibly attractive? A Brazilian friend was talking about one of the women on the undercard only fighting again to get Instagram followers, lol. Maybe that was her?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I would not use those terms to describe her lol

Also thank you Brazilian judges for the push on Yahya

Reactions: ZDH

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008

definitely not her, she has a face (and body) for radio

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
hard to judge that one, was expecting a split decision for sure

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Ribas and Markos are on different levels. One sided beat down in round 1. Don’t see a path to victory for Markos

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Have to assume they were talking about her opponent Macedo, she's pretty cute.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If anyone does fantasy through ESPN and uses the app, they have added a contest where you pick fights/finishes for the UFC. Not sure if it's just for this card or will be a new thing going forward.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
main card im going Makdessi/Walker (via KO)/Moicano/Burns/Lee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad