GDT: UFC Fight Night: Gustafsson vs. Teixeira

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I still think Gus can be champion at LHW. He just needs Jones to move up to HW.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
The precision of Gustafsson's combinations was incredible. Glover had nothing for him.

Really looking forward to Gus vs the winner of DC/Jones.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Gustafsson needs a knockout to beat Jones or DC. And it seems to be like he doesn't have enough power for that. He loses too much points with his running. Referees don't like that.

Huge night, huge fights. Thank you Stockholm! Looking forward to see UFC again in Sweden!

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Gustafsson needs a knockout to beat Jones or DC. And it seems to be like he doesn't have enough power for that. He loses too much points with his running. Referees don't like that.

Huge night, huge fights. Thank you Stockholm! Looking forward to see UFC again in Sweden!

I personally thought Gus won his fight against Jones.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
razor close fights against Jones and Cormier. He can absolutely beat one of them on the right night. there's also no Rumble to derail his run to the title :naughty:

Facts. I also see him having much better chances against Jones and Cormier than Rumble. Very interested to see what Jones has to offer against Cormier.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Nah. I think most sites had him around a -300 favourite.

That makes more sense. Sometimes the odds are just wacky. I made a tidy sum betting on Phil Davis when he fought Glover. For some reason he was a substantial underdog.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That makes more sense. Sometimes the odds are just wacky. I made a tidy sum betting on Phil Davis when he fought Glover. For some reason he was a substantial underdog.

Yup, and then they over-corrected for Davis's next fight (or within a couple fights) vs Ryan Bader where Davis was a huge favorite and you could get Bader at around +180 I think for a pretty clear pick-em fight.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I just wish something could be done about these guys that lead with their fingers out for reach advantages. Can you imagine how hard it is to come in confidently against a guy you're almost positive is going to rake your eyes at least once during a fight? I feel like it should be an automatic point deduction. Someone is going to seriously pop an eyeball in the cage before the UFC does anything about it. It might not have changed anything for Glover in this fight, but it certainly didn't help to lose his right eye vision so early on.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Under the new unified MMA rules, this is a foul. Unfortunately not all commissions have adopted the rules.

Hopefully we see commissions start to take this a little more seriously. I don't know how you can call pokes by Gus and Jon Jones among others "accidental" when their strategy makes these occurrences so frequent.

As an aside, for as talented as Gustafsson is, he's probably one of the most cowardly looking fighters I have ever seen. He's incredibly smart and selective in his striking, but between the extended fingers and forehead pushes and literally running away from his opponents it just looks like he wants nothing to do with a fight being taken to him. I think that's why Jon Jones vs. Gus is such a bad fight for both parties because they negate each other's reach advantage and it confuses them both. Neither handles aggression incredibly well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad