GDT: UFC Fight Night: Costa vs. Vettori

member 51464

lol, well I definitely heard him say that favored Aussie cuss word that rhymes with punt....

Reactions: 16Skippy

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hard to say how much of that was Vettori and how much was Costa but regardless, Vettori was sharp up until the 5th round. His hands looked good throughout and he mixed things up really well with the combinations and body shots.

I don't really know what they do next with Vettori because he's not getting Adesanya anytime soon (or ever) but he'll be in some good fights at the top of the division. Today was a good showing for him.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Dana confirms during the press conference Costa will have to move to LHW. Maybe Anthony Smith? If Brunson/Cannonier winner gets the next title shot after Whittaker, maybe Vettori gets Whittaker or the loser

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
After watching that fight I now feel pretty confident Costa and his team planned to come in heavy the entire time. The gas tank commentary by Felder and Bisping I felt was overdone due to the narrative coming into this fight, Costa looked like he had a lot left in the 4th and 5th. This was likely his audition for a full time move to light heavyweight and he got to do it against a middleweight.

Vettori is a tough SOB. I don't think anyone at middleweight is ever going to knock him out. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone eat that many massive body kicks and maintain their composure like he did.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Costa's excuse for missing weight is a bicep injury? Lmao

I legit laughed when he said that... Then two mins later he went on about how miserable he is when he has to cut weight for a fight he hates eating salad. He's full of it.

Dana said Marvin fought at 208 and Costa at 220.

Costa said in his press conference he really weighed 102 kilos which is like 225 l

Reactions: MMC

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I legit laughed when he said that... Then two mins later he went on about how miserable he is when he has to cut weight for a fight he hates eating salad. He's full of it.

Costa said in his press conference he really weighed 102 kilos which is like 225 l

So a guy who hates weight cutting planned on cutting 40lbs in fight week? Something ain't right there.

Costa looked absolutely massive, like he actually gained weight for this fight. I'm looking forward to seeing him get picked apart by some of the taller/longer technical 205ers.

Reactions: I am not exposed

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Marvin and Caceres with the performance bonuses

Iron Turtle vs Rodrigues got fight of the night

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I've never seen more heavy body kicks landed in a fight than what Costa did to Vettori...

But did anyone notice that Vettori's body didn't have signs of trauma? I didn't see any red marks or bruises on the side of his torso in that final round...

Usually the commentators will mention it when a fighter's body or legs are showing signs of damage, but not a word about it during that fight... that's because there were no signs of damage

How is that possible?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I've never seen more heavy body kicks landed in a fight than what Costa did to Vettori...

But did anyone notice that Vettori's body didn't have signs of trauma? I didn't see any red marks or bruises on the side of his torso in that final round...

Usually the commentators will mention it when a fighter's body or legs are showing signs of damage, but not a word about it during that fight... that's because there were no signs of damage

How is that possible?

Some guys bruise easier than others.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Ended up being a solid fight. Costa deserves every bit of criticism that he has received for the weight stuff, but he came to fight. Might have saved face a little bit with the boss man because of it, but glad Dana said he's going to force him to fight at LHW. I could see Costa causing a stink about that, though, so he might sit out for a while.

Good performance for Vettori period, but especially with the weight stuff. Dude is good, tough as hell, and still young. I still think he's lacking physically, but he's a tough out for anyone in the division not named Izzy and IMO Whittaker. He'll need for stuff to break right, but I could definitely see a Jan-like run to the title in his future (i.e. Izzy leaves the division one way or another like Jones).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad