UFC betting scandal (fighters barred from associating with James Krause, Jeff Molina suspended)

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
The UFC has no one else but themselves to blame. I really think they were hoping this Krause thing was just going to go away but it's clear with jersey banning betting on fights involving him and now this that it's a big issue. Did they even get any result from the investigation by that integrity firm?

Inside information in this sport is never going to go away. When the only way fighters make money is by actually stepping into the cage you're always going to have some person drag themselves in there injured to get a check.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The UFC has no one else but themselves to blame. I really think they were hoping this Krause thing was just going to go away but it's clear with jersey banning betting on fights involving him and now this that it's a big issue. Did they even get any result from the investigation by that integrity firm?

Important to remember that these kind of investigations/results don't just happen overnight and I think in this case the scope of the issue could be pretty large. This all went down within the last few weeks which is why you are seeing these band-aids put in place to protect people/companies. It's going to take some time to get things figured out and how they are going to proceed moving forward. Calvin Ridley in the NFL was betting on games in November and it didn't come out until February or March.

Inside information in this sport is never going to go away. When the only way fighters make money is by actually stepping into the cage you're always going to have some person drag themselves in there injured to get a check.

Of course there always will be stuff like that in this sport and other sports and I think everyone understands that. People will have insider knowledge and make money off it and books know that. But then books will adjust the line and get money on the other side, so it's just the insiders gaining an advantage over the public. It's not great for business but the books still get their cut so they won't really care that much. The problem in this case was that Minner and his team were so obviously complicit - they completely f***ed up. It was obvious to the public what was going on and now the overall integrity is completely shot.

I am still very interested to see if they go back and look at the TJ Dillashaw fight. That's the same thing going on, they just weren't so obvious about it. It also involved a known cheater in Dillashaw.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Just hilarious that these guys thought they could pull one over like this. So obvious and complete idiots. Good riddance from the sport.

Reactions: CDJ and 16Skippy

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I can still bet on WWE though. Which is fixed and has insider information. Hows that ok but UFC isnt?

Not really that gutted though tbh bc I stopped betting on UFC because the judges are high.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yep. At least last time I checked but I'm next to 100% I still can. The absurdity of betting on WWE lol

Off-shore I'm assuming? I stay out of most sports betting now, but I know you used to be able to find some pretty wild stuff so the WWE stuff is no problem. I guess maybe anything where everyone has NDAs is okay? I remember they used to Dancing With the Stars and other pre-taped stuff.

All that stuff was pretty low limit though, under $100 a bet.

Would need to see some receipts of how he's done other weeks, a good one-off UFC event doesn't really mean much. Nothing on that list is particularly insane.

And I know people are saying a parlay got him $50k but a few of those are same fighters/fights so I don't even think most fights would allow that so who cares. If this is all they've got on Krause then this is nothing.

Reactions: CDJ and ZDH

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
For Krause's sake hopefully it was worth it and he cashed in on a lot more than just $50K because he's done now. Dana calling this a non-issue two weeks ago was hilarious.

I'm also curious about the change in policy that came into effect very recently that prevents fighters/corners from betting UFC events. Just a coincidence it was shortly before this popped off or has something been going on with Krause for some time now but it wasn't just public yet?

I can still bet online so it's all good for me.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
For Krause's sake hopefully it was worth it and he cashed in on a lot more than just $50K because he's done now. Dana calling this a non-issue two weeks ago was hilarious.

I'm also curious about the change in policy that came into effect very recently that prevents fighters/corners from betting UFC events. Just a coincidence it was shortly before this popped off or has something been going on with Krause for some time now but it wasn't just public yet?

I can still bet online so it's all good for me.

Definitely not a coincidence. Plus the Dillashaw thing happened around then.

The thing that will really f*** things up is if there are coaches from other teams involved. If you had Krause and coaches from a couple other camps pushing info back and forth to win money this thing would completely blow up.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The Minner thing happening on the heels of Dillashaw getting beaten by Sterling was really bad. I think the UFC put out the gambling ban shortly before the Dillashaw fight but I could be wrong.

I think I posted it here before all the newer stuff went down but Dillashaw told Helwani in his interview after the fight he would never disclose the shoulder injury he had or similar injuries because he didn't want to give the UFC an opportunity to pull him from the fight. If you listen to Dillashaw talk about that injury it's absolutely something where if that information was in the public you probably would have seen similar betting action as the Minner fight where people would have been putting down big money for Dillashaw to take an early round stoppage loss. His shoulder was absolutely destroyed before that fight.

The UFC is going to have to figure out some new rules regarding injury disclosures if they're going to maintain this partnership with gambling. NFL teams toy with their injury disclosures but at least you usually know something is going on. If someone has a knee injury they'll be questionable and then you just monitor their practice statuses and read the tea leaves from those updates as best you can. We might need something like that in MMA.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The Minner thing happening on the heels of Dillashaw getting beaten by Sterling was really bad. I think the UFC put out the gambling ban shortly before the Dillashaw fight but I could be wrong.

I think I posted it here before all the newer stuff went down but Dillashaw told Helwani in his interview after the fight he would never disclose the shoulder injury he had or similar injuries because he didn't want to give the UFC an opportunity to pull him from the fight. If you listen to Dillashaw talk about that injury it's absolutely something where if that information was in the public you probably would have seen similar betting action as the Minner fight where people would have been putting down big money for Dillashaw to take an early round stoppage loss. His shoulder was absolutely destroyed before that fight.

The UFC is going to have to figure out some new rules regarding injury disclosures if they're going to maintain this partnership with gambling. NFL teams toy with their injury disclosures but at least you usually know something is going on. If someone has a knee injury they'll be questionable and then you just monitor their practice statuses and read the tea leaves from those updates as best you can. We might need something like that in MMA.

Yeah, I heard the NFL style injury report comparison recently and that works.

As for Dillashaw, I'm still very suspicious.

Reactions: CDJ

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

You can't really make injuries public in MMA prior to a fight and we know many of these guys have preexisting injuries from camp, those injuries would definitely be targeted. I think Dillashaw disclosing his injury to the ref prior to the fight was good enough but based on what we saw, he should have backed out. Usman comes to mind the first time he fought Masvidal.

I don't actually see the bets Krause made going 8 for 8. Were they all on his fighters or against his fighters? They need to make an example of him for sure if they have the evidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad