GDT: UFC 289: Nunes vs. Aldana/PFL 4

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Congrats on a great career.

Can we end this thing where whoever is fighting is the greatest ever in some way? If you want to call her the greatest female fighter then fine, but she wasn't even the greatest fighter involved in her interview. Enough.

Just an awful performance from Aldana.

Oh, it's done

Joe Rogan is ready to anoint someone the greatest of all time every couple of weeks!

I really hate it. No one used to say it a few years ago. I hate reading it, I hate typing it, I hate it being mentioned every day.

Funny thing is when you used to call someone a goat you were calling them an idiot!

This obsession with sports media and fans calling someone the greatest is really bloody irritating.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Considering she was the one who pulled out and she lost the last fight 50-43, she is either an effective troll or the most delusional person on the planet

Reactions: Taytro

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I think it's fair to call Nunes the greatest female fighter of all time. It's not a title once given it couldn't be taken away if someone had a worthier run and a career. Nunes is the goat until someone comes along and becomes the goat.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think it's fair to call Nunes the greatest female fighter of all time. It's not a title once given it couldn't be taken away if someone had a worthier run and a career. Nunes is the goat until someone comes along and becomes the goat.

I'm totally fine with this, there were just many times this week where I heard her called the greatest MMA fighter in general which is absolutely ridiculous.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
This was a very tough pill to swallow for Beneil, you gotta feel for the guy, he was so close only to lose like this. With his age, personality, and the state of the division, I think it's fair to say that his window at the title is over. The UFC were not willing to give him a title shot after his 8 fight streak, there's no way he's getting this close again, from here on out, they'll likely use him as a gatekeeper to test the upcoming talent in the division until he retires. I just hope in that process, he'll get a big name or two to make some decent money.

As far as Charles goes, he had a great performance, but I didn't see anything new from him to tell me that his fight against Islam will be any different. He just matched up very well against Dariush because there was zero defense in terms of striking, and the top smothering game did not exist, which gave Oliveira a lot of room to work from the bottom. On top of all of that, the lack of experience under the spotlight for Benny really showed in this fight. Islam on the other hand is one of the best defensive strikers in the division, plus his strong top game will probably make Oliveira a bit hesitant to go all in on the feet. I expect a similar outcome to their first fight, and that's how MMA is in general, styles make fights and outside a lucky punch or submission, Charles beating Islam is really a very long shot.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This was a very tough pill to swallow for Beneil, you gotta feel for the guy, he was so close only to lose like this. With his age, personality, and the state of the division, I think it's fair to say that his window at the title is over. The UFC were not willing to give him a title shot after his 8 fight streak, there's no way he's getting this close again, from here on out, they'll likely use him as a gatekeeper to test the upcoming talent in the division until he retires. I just hope in that process, he'll get a big name or two to make some decent money.

As far as Charles goes, he had a great performance, but I didn't see anything new from him to tell me that his fight against Islam will be any different. He just matched up very well against Dariush because there was zero defense in terms of striking, and the top smothering game did not exist, which gave Oliveira a lot of room to work from the bottom. On top of all of that, the lack of experience under the spotlight for Benny really showed in this fight. Islam on the other hand is one of the best defensive strikers in the division, plus his strong top game will probably make Oliveira a bit hesitant to go all in on the feet. I expect a similar outcome to their first fight, and that's how MMA is in general, styles make fights and outside a lucky punch or submission, Charles really a long shot against Islam.

I've said before that Dariush should have been in that fight v Islam instead of Volk, but I also don't think this was some huge injustice that Dariush didn't get a shot. Not all 8-fight streaks are created equally and at 155lbs a streak where you don't really beat any top guys isn't going to guarantee you that shot. This was his true #1 contender's fight and he blew it.

The positive is that I don't think he's that far away from a title shot. 2-3 wins. The issue is that those are going to be really, really difficult wins. He's probably looking at someone like Tsarukyan next. He would have to win that and then win probably 2 more fights against the top guys. If Islam loses to Oliveira, he's the perfect bounce-back fight for Islam. So yeah, there's a path. It's not so much long as it is tough.

Agreed on Oliveira. I'm just hoping we get a good fight this time, but we'll see.

Reactions: Taytro

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I've said before that Dariush should have been in that fight v Islam instead of Volk, but I also don't think this was some huge injustice that Dariush didn't get a shot. Not all 8-fight streaks are created equally and at 155lbs a streak where you don't really beat any top guys isn't going to guarantee you that shot. This was his true #1 contender's fight and he blew it.

While it wasn't the biggest injustice, it still should have been the fight to make. Dariush's run was rather similar to Islam before he got his shot, but hey, this is the game they play, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Benny definitely blew his shot here, and there are a lot of holes in his game that need fixing before he can compete with a fighter like Charles, the problem is I'm not sure how much you can improve as a 34 year old.

The positive is that I don't think he's that far away from a title shot. 2-3 wins. The issue is that those are going to be really, really difficult wins. He's probably looking at someone like Tsarukyan next. He would have to win that and then win probably 2 more fights against the top guys. If Islam loses to Oliveira, he's the perfect bounce-back fight for Islam. So yeah, there's a path. It's not so much long as it is tough.

Highly unlikely, guys like Benny usually get that one chance, if they blow it, it's over for them. I imagine his next 2 or 3 opponents are gonna be upcoming talents in the 5-10 range. If he wins those fights the UFC will still want him to beat another big name before they book him for the title. He probably needs at least 2-3 wins against guys ranked in the 5-10 range, and a big win against a top-5 fighter. So as you can imagine, what kind of timeline are we talking about here? Assuming everything worked for him, the earliest he can have a chance again is probably early 2025, and even if he gets all these wins it won't guarantee anything if there's another big name in the mix. On top of all of this, the man is 34 year old, father time is around the corner if it hasn't arrived yet.

He probably should just make his peace with it and focus on one fight at a time. Just enjoy the process of fighting, make as much money as you can, and forget about the belt.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
While it wasn't the biggest injustice, it still should have been the fight to make. Dariush's run was rather similar to Islam before he got his shot, but hey, this is the game they play, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Benny definitely blew his shot here, and there are a lot of holes in his game that need fixing before he can complete with a fighter like Charles, the problem is I'm not sure how much you can improve as a 34 year old.

Highly unlikely, guys like Benny usually get that one chance, if they blow it, it's over for them. I imagine his next 2 or 3 opponents are gonna be upcoming talents in the 5-10 range. If he wins those fights the UFC will still want him to beat another big name before they book him for the title. He probably needs at least 2-3 wins against guys ranked in the 5-10 range, and a big win against a top-5 fighter. So as you can imagine, what kind of timeline are we talking about here? Assuming everything worked for him, the earliest he can have a chance again is probably early 2025, and even if he gets all these wins it won't guarantee anything if there's another big name in the mix. On top of all of this, the man is 34 year old, father time is around the corner if it hasn't arrived yet.

He probably should just make his peace with it and focus on one fight at a time. Just enjoy the process of fighting, make as much money as you can, and forget about the belt.

I agree it's an unlikely path for him because he's going to be fighting top guys now.

It does seem like the type who is at peace with things at least, seems like a good guy.

Reactions: SuperScript29

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I'm totally fine with this, there were just many times this week where I heard her called the greatest MMA fighter in general which is absolutely ridiculous.

I agree. And anyone saying that should go on a list of people who should never be heard or taken seriously regarding MMA or any other fight sport.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Missed this one, which I'm mostly OK with.

I'll catch Oliveira-Dariush at some point, but from the sounds of it, I've seen it before :laugh:. Charlie Olives looks to be in some trouble, comes back, and finds a finish. I don't think a win against Dariush should be enough to get a title shot with how thoroughly Islam beat him last time, but he's probably going to get it due to timing. Just no way that Poirier-Gaethje will be in any condition coming out of that fight to turn around in less than 3 months.

Sounds like Aldana laid an egg, but Nunes winning was always the likely outcome. She is just too powerful and too well rounded.

Unquestionably retires as the the WGOAT....at least in terms of accomplishments. I think there is a case that Valentina is better P4P, but strictly looking at resumes, Nunes clips her. Just a who's who of WMMA on there. A rocky start to her career, but the run she has been on is incredible. The one hiccup against Pena, but she showed how much of a fluke that was by dismantling her in the rematch over 5 rounds. WMMA is going to have to level up once or twice for anybody to catch her. Valentina's the only one going who's even close, but she's on the back 9 of her career, too.

Reactions: m9, Taytro and CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad