GDT: UFC 281: Adesanya vs. Pereira

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Pereira clearly has the punching power to cover for his deficiencies. That's not a great recipe for sustained success though.

I'm guessing we'll be seeing an immediate rematch here.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I didn't like the stoppage. Wasn't awful and I'm sure the MMA media who tend to err on the soft side won't question it.. but I think in a fight of that magnitude there's little harm in letting a more decisive ending happen, even if it feels inevitable.

But the UFC can sell a rematch better this way, so there's that

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Pereira clearly has the punching power to cover for his deficiencies. That's not a great recipe for sustained success though.

I'm guessing we'll be seeing an immediate rematch here.

Great punching power, but unlike Izzy, he doesn't keep the distance very well. Izzy was able to succeed against the wrestlers because he kept that distance, which caused a lot of boring decisions. I don't see Pereira defending this belt for too long unless he's up against strikers.

Reactions: CDJ and Incognito

member 51464

Pereira should have said he was only fighting at 185 to shut Israel up and he was moving to 205 to save himself the weight cut.

Dude has owned Israel and surely is haunting his dreams now. Why even give the dude a chance to take the belt back? lol. jk, I know he has no reason to think he can't own him now. You figure Alex can't seem much more lost grappling than he did tonight and should have all the confidence in the world going into a rematch.

member 51464

I didn't like the stoppage. Wasn't awful and I'm sure the MMA media who tend to err on the soft side won't question it.. but I think in a fight of that magnitude there's little harm in letting a more decisive ending happen, even if it feels inevitable.

But the UFC can sell a rematch better this way, so there's that
I thought it was a good stoppage. Was there controversy on the Rodriguez Lemos stoppage last card? I missed it but sounds like it was sort of similar to this one.

I don't think anyone, except hardened Israel haters, needed to see him face plant on the canvas after getting separated from consciousness, and that is what we were a strike or two away from.

Though I agree Alex winging shots and missing a number just before the end makes it seem a bit less good of a stoppage than it was.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I thought it was a good stoppage. Was there controversy on the Rodriguez Lemos stoppage last card? I missed it but sounds like it was sort of similar to this one.

I don't think anyone, except hardened Israel haters, needed to see him face plant on the canvas after getting separated from consciousness, and that is what we were a strike or two away from.

Though I agree Alex winging shots and missing a number just before the end makes it seem a bit less good of a stoppage than it was.

The difference to me is that Adesanya was moving his head which at least is possibly a form of intelligent defense. There was at least some question there. That's enough to let the fight play out. If he hits the canvas, so be it. It's a fight.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Great punching power, but unlike Izzy, he doesn't keep the distance very well. Izzy was able to succeed against the wrestlers because he kept that distance, which caused a lot of boring decisions. I don't see Pereira defending this belt for too long unless he's up against strikers.
Izzy is the only fight I’d feel comfortable taking Pereira against. I think the rest of the top 5 would take him down and drown him on the ground.

That said, it would be comedic to see one of Izzy/Pereira spend their whole camp for the rematch grappling and end up subbing the other guy.

Reactions: Taytro

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I thought the stoppage was a little early. Last round of a title fight, give him a chance pull a hail mary or clinch and stall again.

Even though the grappling and wrestling was awkward at least Izzy was smart enough to go for low risk trips and takedowns from the clinch and fence, instead of shooting from halfway across the state like Carla.

Anyway, good for Pereria. Survived some rough waters and got a finish.

And LOL at Rogan for saying it was his 5th MMA fight a bunch of times.

Reactions: m9 and Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I’m a Nate fan but he’s like 40 years old. Chill with the (almost) fights outside the cage. Don’t want to end up like BJ Penn.

Danis looks rough. That’s the first time I’ve seen him since he got subbed by the cop.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Another view there. That’s Conor/Izzy’s agent trying to play peacemaker and it appears to work until short guy rolled up to get slapped. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 16Skippy

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Just my opinions but I thought the stoppage was good. Could the ref had let it go long, and have we seen refs let it go longer in the past? Yes. Have refs stopped fights when a wobbled fighter eats a barage of punches and finally gets sent to down (but not fully out)? Yes. We've seen it both ways but Izzy getting back to his feet without his full balance, and being wobbly on the stool after is enough for me, he was done. His brain was rattled, I don't always need to see a fighter eat 5 more shots and end up unconscious face down for 10 minutes, this is the exact reason TKOs exist. Stoppage was fine.

Opinion on the fight is that Izzy could easily have won the fight with another takedown in the 5th. He proved he could control Alex on the ground without much trouble. But instead he decided to follow his ego and prove he could stand with him. One of the rare cases of a low IQ decision from Izzy. You don't give the guy who only has a punchers chance, the chance to punch you. Congrats to Alex though, he did exactly what he needed to do.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Just my opinions but I thought the stoppage was good. Could the ref had let it go long, and have we seen refs let it go longer in the past? Yes. Have refs stopped fights when a wobbled fighter eats a barage of punches and finally gets sent to down (but not fully out)? Yes. We've seen it both ways but Izzy getting back to his feet without his full balance, and being wobbly on the stool after is enough for me, he was done. His brain was rattled, I don't always need to see a fighter eat 5 more shots and end up unconscious face down for 10 minutes, this is the exact reason TKOs exist. Stoppage was fine.

Opinion on the fight is that Izzy could easily have won the fight with another takedown in the 5th. He proved he could control Alex on the ground without much trouble. But instead he decided to follow his ego and prove he could stand with him. One of the rare cases of a low IQ decision from Izzy. You don't give the guy who only has a punchers chance, the chance to punch you. Congrats to Alex though, he did exactly what he needed to do.
I'm not sure if it was low IQ necessarily, I think it's possible Izzy remembered how everyone hated the Cannonier fight. A lot of people said the old Izzy would finish it. He seemed to have Poatan on the ropes and I think his ego said go finish it on the feet. He wanted the redemption of a KO.

As for the 'early stoppage' Izzy himself said after speaking to his coaches and seeing it that it was a good stoppage.

I did think Adesanya got a bit cocky as champion. I was impressed by his humility after this one. He's not a bad dude.

That said, Poatan is the people's champion. I think they will do a rematch but would be great to see him fight Whittaker too.

Reactions: Taytro

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Adesanya seemed accepting of the stoppage but certainly didn't think it was good.

Reactions: CDJ

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

Totally agree on everything you say on the stoppage.

I would add, about the mistake of Izzy, giving a chance to Pereira by standing ... it is the problem of fighting ...
to think that his second fight with Pereira was going well ... and then he got KO'ed ... and without KO, without the mistake, he would have been fine. Well as you eat rounds, you start making mistakes ... even Izzy who is smart! And by the way, maybe he tried ... but didn't have the energy ... and settled for the standing, which short term takes less energy. Give credit to Pereira who framed Izzy very well. And you see Izzy trying to hook on Pereira again and again.

It is not chess ... it is fighting ... you get to the end of yourself, and mistakes start appearing and multiplying as you get tired.

They both gave an amazing fight. I watched it 3 times on sunday.

Reactions: Crosscrease14

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
What a great card that was.

Poirier and Chandler have never had a boring fight and they didn’t disappoint at all tonight.

Not surprised to see izzy’s ego cost him the fight, I was telling my buddy last night that Pereira’s only path to victory was a punchers chance or Izzy’s ego getting the better of him.

I think in a rematch, Izzy likely takes the belt back. I’d rather see Whittaker take the next shot though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad