Lightweight bout: Dustin Poirier vs. Michael Chandler
Bantamweight bout: Frankie Edgar vs. Chris Gutierrez
Lightweight bout: Dan Hooker vs. Claudio Puelles

PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPNews, TSN 5)

Lightweight bout: Brad Riddell vs. Renato Moicano
Light Heavyweight bout: Dominick Reyes vs. Ryan Spann
Women's Flyweight bout: Molly McCann vs. Erin Blanchfield
Middleweight bout: Andre Petroski vs. Wellington Turman

PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, UFC Fight Pass)

Lightweight bout: Matt Frevola vs. Ottman Azaitar
Women's Strawweight bout: Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs. Silvana Gomez Juarez
Featherweight bout: Michael Trizano vs. Seung-woo Choi
Bantamweight bout: Julio Arce vs. Montel Jackson
Light Heavyweight bout: Carlos Ulberg vs. Nicolae Negumereanu​

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Zhang, Chandler, Edgar were all on the main card of last year's November MSG PPV, and Pereira was the featured prelim

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pretty much my ideal design for a PPV - big title fight, secondary title fight, excellent/relevant 3rd fight, and a couple of fun/interesting fights to start the PPV.

This card is even better because that prelim card is stacked.

No idea what's going to happen in the main event and not really cheering either way. Just looking forward to a fun fight. Same with Chandler/Poirier.

Have to go with Weili to win the belt back.

Hoping Edgar/Hooker can both get wins here, but I'm not holding my breath.

Love that prelim card, and even Azaitar/Frevola is a nice win buried down there.

Reyes/Spann is quietly the most interesting fight here for me. Reyes had a long time off, lets see where he's at.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Prices for this event have been insane since day 1 over $500 to get in the door. It's dropped down to the high $300's gets any lower I may have to jump on it and go.

On to the fights I'm pulling like hell for Pereira but something tells me Izzy will put on a boring performance and win it.

Weili should reclaim that belt just wondering if she gets a finish or not.

I love chandler guy puts on entertaining barn burner fights and doesn't turn anyone down. I think Poirier rocks him and this could be a repeat of Chandler/Gaethje from last year.

Speaking of last year hopefully Edgar's retirement fight goes better than last years msg fight. Hopefully the local guy gets a nice send off.

I think and hope Blanchfield wrecks McCann. I think she's the real deal and has an extremely high ceiling. I also just don't like Meatball.

Last fight I'm really looking forward to is local guy Frevola taking on Ottman. Frevola looks great this camp but looks like a lot of money has been coming in on Ottman. Frevola opened up -150 but it is basically a pick 'em now. It's a funny fight because this should have happened two years ago but the whole Ottman having James Bond repel down the side of the hotel to drop off a bag of "potatoes" got it canceled. It still bothers me lol I want to know what was really in that bag.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I never watched them but I heard on podcasts that in both of their kickboxing fights Izzy was working Pereira until he got caught. I wonder how the small gloves and octogon will effect that. And how crazy would it be to see Izzy just shoot for a double lol

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I never watched them but I heard on podcasts that in both of their kickboxing fights Izzy was working Pereira until he got caught. I wonder how the small gloves and octogon will effect that. And how crazy would it be to see Izzy just shoot for a double lol
Izzy was crying about that before his last fight since they were both on the same card... i didn't see them but the first fight ended in a decision in Pereira's favor so I don't know how that could be the case in that one.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Second PPV in a row that I won't be able to watch live. And both have been some of the most anticipated PPV's of the year :facepalm:. This one's not my fault though.

Izzy-Pereira - I think this has the chance to be exciting. Izzy's got something to prove and Pereira is aggressive, powerful, and skilled enough to not just let Izzy do his outside leg kick schtick. I'm not sure how I feel about Izzy shooting any takedowns. I think he's probably the better grappler, but I think he's too proud and would want to get those kickboxing losses back. Don't really have any idea who wins.

Carla-Weili - I think Weili is going to steamroll her. Carla's best strategy is to lay and pray but I think Weili is too strong for that.

Poirier-Chandler - Poirier is one of my favorite fighters, but this fight makes me a little nervous for him. Chandler comes out like a bat out hell and Poirier takes a few minutes to get going. Poirier is durable, though, so maybe he can survive the early onslaught. If he does, I think he wins either by decision or a late KO.

Like @m9 said, hope Frankie and Hooker can pick up wins, but....

Don't really have a read on Riddell-Moicano, Reyes-Spann, or McCann-Blanchfield, but good fights for prelims.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'll preface this by saying I don't know the rules of kickboxing, or really boxing for that matter.

They showed clips of the second fight on UFC Countdown. Izzy hurt him and was teeing off on him. Even though he was still standing, the ref stepped in, gave Pereira a 10 count, and then let him continue. Pereira survived the round and then KO'ed him in the next round. The fight was in Brazil FWIW.

Again, I don't know the rules, but I would think that if a ref steps in like that, it is to stop the fight.

Reactions: 16Skippy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I kind of thought I was going to be in the minority picking Chandler to beat Poirier but I see I'm not the only one. Poirier is actually a pretty big favorite for for this one, he's like -200 which is much bigger than I thought we'd see.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I kind of thought I was going to be in the minority picking Chandler to beat Poirier but I see I'm not the only one. Poirier is actually a pretty big favorite for for this one, he's like -200 which is much bigger than I thought we'd see.
For me it comes down to 2 things:

1. Chandler starts fast and Poirier takes a few minutes to get going
2. Chandler hits really f***ing hard and Poirier, even at his best, is there to be hit

It could also be a replay of the Gaethje fight. Where Chandler lands big early and hurts Poirier, but Poirier survives and then takes it over as the fight goes on.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Izzy was crying about that before his last fight since they were both on the same card... i didn't see them but the first fight ended in a decision in Pereira's favor so I don't know how that could be the case in that one.
I must have misheard. They've must have just been talking about the 2nd fight.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The UFC countdown for this card is insane, especially the portion for Adesanya v. Pereira. Top notch story telling and really interesting interviews of both fighters. Until watching that I didn't know Pereira was training with Glover Teixeira in Connecticut.

If you're interested in the first two Adesanya v. Pereira fights Dan Hardy has individual breakdown videos of both on YouTube that are really good. After watching those my brain is telling me Pereira wins. Hardy makes a big deal about it being more difficult for Adesanya to evade Pereira's attacks when he's closed in inside the octagon as opposed to being able to lean back and over the ropes in a kickboxing ring. That being said, I can't bring myself to believe I exist in a world where Israel Adesanya loses to the same person three times. I think Adesanya wins another boring decision.

All the CKB fighters on this card and Eugene Bareman were on the MMA Hour yesterday. Bareman's interview is really good.

member 51464

Going to be weird seeing Izzy potentially take it to the ground. I do wonder if he is too proud to do that though.
It is more common at higher weights, but Israel could always try to use the grappling early to try to drain the gas tank and take the edge of the striking so there is less danger staying on the feet to hunt the finish.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Press conference was a big waste of time. Only thing I got out of it was rooting for Frankie even more.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
What do people think about the amount of time/energy that the UFC puts into promo for their events? I know it's ramped for a big fight week like this one, but I'm just curious if others are in the same boat as me.

I find the promo they are doing is out-of-control excessive and I just don't really care about most of it.

The percentage of interesting stuff in these massive press conferences is so low.

The fake weigh-in thing is just weird. Like, if you want guys to face-off then can't you just do it combined with the press-conference? Or can we at least skip the fake scale part?

This last weekend we were absolutely blitzed with Lemos/Rodriguez promo during a card we were already watching. For these cards on ESPN that people are already paying for and watching, can we tighten it up a bit? Can you get 5 or 6 fights in a 2 hour prelim block?

I do really like UFC Embedded. I don't watch it every time, but when I do I always think how I should watch it more. It's kind of like the PFL for me - I forget to watch like 60% of the time but the 40% I remember is great.

Reactions: 16Skippy

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
What do people think about the amount of time/energy that the UFC puts into promo for their events? I know it's ramped for a big fight week like this one, but I'm just curious if others are in the same boat as me.

I find the promo they are doing is out-of-control excessive and I just don't really care about most of it.

The percentage of interesting stuff in these massive press conferences is so low.

The fake weigh-in thing is just weird. Like, if you want guys to face-off then can't you just do it combined with the press-conference? Or can we at least skip the fake scale part?

This last weekend we were absolutely blitzed with Lemos/Rodriguez promo during a card we were already watching. For these cards on ESPN that people are already paying for and watching, can we tighten it up a bit? Can you get 5 or 6 fights in a 2 hour prelim block?

I do really like UFC Embedded. I don't watch it every time, but when I do I always think how I should watch it more. It's kind of like the PFL for me - I forget to watch like 60% of the time but the 40% I remember is great.
I still generally like the press conferences. Even if they are boring like this one was, it still gives the fighters a chance to show their personality. Whether it is funny, boring, nice guy/gal, cocky asshole, whatever. I like giving them that opportunity.

I also like UFC Embedded and UFC Countdown.

I don't know that I've ever watched the ceremonial weigh-ins, though. Just have seen clips if they push each other or something like that that makes the news. Might be different if you are there in person, though. I don't know if they have other stuff going on and the ceremonial weigh-ins is just the thing that gets put online. I know Luke Thomas always recommends going to all the UFC events during fight week like the weigh-ins, so maybe there's more to it.....also, they already do face them off at the end of the press conference.

We're probably the wrong ones to ask, though. We are watching nearly every week anyway. That promotional stuff is to draw in more casuals.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I still generally like the press conferences. Even if they are boring like this one was, it still gives the fighters a chance to show their personality. Whether it is funny, boring, nice guy/gal, cocky asshole, whatever. I like giving them that opportunity.

I also like UFC Embedded and UFC Countdown.

I don't know that I've ever watched the ceremonial weigh-ins, though. Just have seen clips if they push each other or something like that that makes the news. Might be different if you are there in person, though. I don't know if they have other stuff going on and the ceremonial weigh-ins is just the thing that gets put online. I know Luke Thomas always recommends going to all the UFC events during fight week like the weigh-ins, so maybe there's more to it.....also, they already do face them off at the end of the press conference.

We're probably the wrong ones to ask, though. We are watching nearly every week anyway. That promotional stuff is to draw in more casuals.

Are casuals watching UFC press conferences? Or fake weigh-in shows? I don't know.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Are casuals watching UFC press conferences? Or fake weigh-in shows? I don't know.
Well, no, but I figured there was more to all this promotion that you speak of than those 2 things.

I don't think those things really take all that much time, energy, or money. It's pretty paint-by-numbers. Throw up a stage, some folding tables with a tablecloth, and let media/fans into the building for free. Don't see the harm in it. And like I said, I think a lot of the stuff is for the fans there in person.

Reactions: m9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm a little surprised by people thinking the main event is a pick em and anything can happen. Maybe it's my Adesanya bias kicking in but unless he gets caught, which is certainly a possibility, I think he can take this with relative ease. He's down 0-2 to Pereira but you could make the case he was the better fighter, especially in that second fight. I wouldn't call it a puncher's chance for Pereira because that's just disrespectful and he's much better than that but he's a clear underdog for me.

Weili for sure in the co-main.

Poirier/Chandler is the one where I have no idea what happens. I think Poirier is the better fighter but if you told me Chandler finishes him in the first round, I wouldn't be surprised. Both guys have been in a lot of tough fights and often end up getting rocked at some point. Should be a great fight.

As others have said, hopefully Frankie gets to go out on top at MSG. Can't wait to hear Kick in the Door when he walks out. That's always been one of classic entrances for me.

One of the best cards of the year on paper. Can't wait.

Reactions: CDJ and m9

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I usually skip the pre fight conferences. Maybe just the highlights in youtube. But I did enjoy Luke and BC make fun of it.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Looking at the lines for Saturday.. I gotta say outside of the two big womens matches from top to bottom this card has to be the closest matchups betting wise I've seen in a while. I feel like every card the last few months had like 1-2 fights of +600 or more and then 3-4 more fights of +300 seems like all the dogs are +200 or less.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I believe Pereira will make it.
Izzy is good and i like him (which is irrelevant LOL) ... but Pereira is big, has reach, is strong and precise.

Probably Izzy will dominate. Watch the KO!!
Same scenario than already happened.

It's always the same discussion ... all was going well till the KO ... so all should go well.
So remove the KO and i win.
Because the KO is often due to a mistake. But see, when tired, mistakes are part of the game.

A very tempting and perverse logic.

We are not playing chess here. It is fighting and you go to the end of what you can ... and mistakes come as rounds pass.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad