GDT: UFC 262: Oliveira vs. Chandler

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like those matchups but I think Hooker might brutalize this version of Tony. I think it would play out like the Gaethje fight. Just hopefully a little less punishment absorbed

Maybe, but I'd like to see Tony v a guy who will keep it standing after what's happened these last two fights.

Reactions: CDJ

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Maybe, but I'd like to see Tony v a guy who will keep it standing after what's happened these last two fights.

Tony didn’t even look comfortable standing .. he’s throwing these half speed inaccurate shots. Someone needs to have a talk with him. No way I see him making a title run. He would end up a has been gatekeeper at best. Cowboy, Silva … etc

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Tony didn’t even look comfortable standing .. he’s throwing these half speed inaccurate shots. Someone needs to have a talk with him. No way I see him making a title run. He would end up a has been gatekeeper at best. Cowboy, Silva … etc

Oh I agree he's done as a contender, but I'm interested in finding out if he can still be an exciting guy in the division and I think Hooker would bring that out.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

definitely agree with the logic but idk, it seems like he hasn’t thrown a good strike since he dropped Gaethje early in their fight. He hasn’t been given a big chance to throw some though so a striker is probably the best route to go for him. The intent behind his strikes doesn’t seem to be there- hopefully it’s just because he’s been worried about the takedown

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Btw how f***ed up is it that both Jacare and Tony gave absolutely zero consideration to tapping?

Those assholes subjecting us to that. One of the people I live with is getting into MMA and I was explaining to her how Jacare had his arm snapped and kept fighting against Gracie and then minutes later he gets stuck in that arm bar and I tell her to get ready for a broken arm :laugh:

Tony gets put in the most damaging/painful submissions you can end up in and basically winces off the pain. Dariush talking about how he heard a pop. Tony is a mutant

Reactions: m9

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Tony is an incredible competitor, no doubt, but I can't help to think that it's also the reason for his decline.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’d give Barboza a title shot at 145 if he wins one more. Imo he beat Ige and he’s looked great in his last 2. You give him a top 5 and if he wins he’s in the conversation

Reactions: N o o d l e s

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I lost on Jacare but I hit on Daruish, Chookagian, and Barboza. I'm surprised Barboza was an underdog TBH.

If Poirier wins we could see him vs Olivier in the winter, or maybe they book Gaethje in a title eliminator soon. Either way awesome for Olivier, got over looked for a long time after getting fed to killers when he barely had any striking ability.

Hope Jacare and Tony call it quits. Tony is completely bat shit as it is. Image him with CTE lol.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Alright, now that I've had some time.. here's what I do at 155.

Oliveira v Gaethje. I don't like giving Gaethje a shot coming off a loss, but he's the only guy deserving at all and they're going to want to get Oliveira back in there. Get this one set for the summer. I'll throw in one extra suggestion - what if Max Holloway wanted to move up for this title fight?

Chandler v Dariush. It's really the only fight to make to me. It's the biggest fight you can make for Dariush and Chandler needs to fight another top guy. The backup option if Dariush is taking some time off - Chandler v RDA.

Ferguson v Hooker. I've wanted this fight for awhile. It's a great style matchup to me and lets you see which guy is going to hang around the top ten for now.

RDA v Gillespie.

It seems like Dariush is taking off more time than I thought. So, Chandler v RDA would be my pick instead and Gillespie can do something else.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
It seems like Dariush is taking off more time than I thought. So, Chandler v RDA would be my pick instead and Gillespie can do something else.

I was actually thinking since Beneil wants to take a while off why not have Gaethje fight Chandler since I’m sure Chandler will want to get back in quickly. Winner of that faces Beniel later in the year. Though idk if Gaethje or Candler would want to fight twice more before a title shot. Gillespie could also be a problem.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I was actually thinking since Beneil wants to take a while off why not have Gaethje fight Chandler since I’m sure Chandler will want to get back in quickly. Winner of that faces Beniel later in the year. Though idk if Gaethje or Candler would want to fight twice more before a title shot. Gillespie could also be a problem.

I think Gaethje/Chandler makes sense if they don't give Gaethje a title shot. I doubt they would be fighting for a shot at Dariush though - the winner would be looking for a title shot or another bigger fight.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I think Gaethje/Chandler makes sense if they don't give Gaethje a title shot. I doubt they would be fighting for a shot at Dariush though - the winner would be looking for a title shot or another bigger fight.

Ya I’d agree just wondering what makes sense for Beniel because I think at this point he deserves to be given a bigger fight too. Islam?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Ya I’d agree just wondering what makes sense for Beniel because I think at this point he deserves to be given a bigger fight too. Islam?

It sounds like Dariush will be off until around the end of the year, so it's hard to really know. If they do Oliveira/Gaethje, maybe the loser of that? Or if they do Chandler/RDA soon, maybe RDA in December?

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
It sounds like Dariush will be off until around the end of the year, so it's hard to really know. If they do Oliveira/Gaethje, maybe the loser of that? Or if they do Chandler/RDA soon, maybe RDA in December?

Right thinking that this means he’ll get one of the rising contenders’ next fights after their upcoming. Islam might make sense since his next fight isn’t overly exciting and Dariush would be a big name for him.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Beneil mentioned that by the end of this year or early next year be should be back and the names he potentially mentioned were Gaethje and Islam depending on what happens with their next fights. Hopefully whoever he faces it would be a title eliminator and I think if he beats any of these guys, he may just get the nod.

Dana did say that he'll get a top-5 fight so possibly hinting at Gaethje, I'm not sure if the timing works though.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Great fight in the main event. Chandler will probably be second guessing himself going into Oliveira's guard for the G&P rather than having him stand up. He was able to land some big shots, but once Oliveira got to his back, I think it was obvious he was there enough that he wasn't going to get KO'ed by G&P shots and the ref wasn't going to step in with him defending himself. (Also, props to Big Dan for not stepping in when Oliveira was on his knees. We give them shit when they f*** up, so got to give them credit when they do a good job. Some refs might have panicked there and stopped the fight.) Beautiful hook from Oliveira to drop Chandler. Short, quick, and on the button. Regardless of whether or not I think he's the true champ, he's definitely turned a corner and is a player in one of the best divisions in the sport. Over time, he will show whether he is the true champ or not. I think Chandler said something similar in the pre fight package, but it applies to Oliveira, too.

From a fan/the UFC's perspective, Oliveira-Gaethje would be sweet. Get the division moving now that there is a new champ. Whenever the winner of Poirier/Conor is ready for their title shot, there's not really much of a difference if Oliveira or Gaethje is holing the belt. In fact, Gaethje might even be preferred by a lot of fans. However, it ain't going to happen. Oliveira would gladly wait a few months for a chance to get the McGregor payday. I know I would.

Chandler's stock doesn't drop much in my eyes. He's still right there. Would love to see Chandler-Gaethje.

I wish I could give Darisuh more credit, but this fight was always "where is Tony?" and Tony failed miserably...again. Dariush is good and did what he needed to do, but he's got to beat someone else for me to consider him a title contender. I think Dariush-RDA makes sense, but RDA needs to fight sooner than end of 2021, so I guess we'll see where the division is when Dariush is ready.

I've seen/heard a lot of Woodley comparisons for Tony, but to me Tony is much more Cowboy. Until his last fight Woodley looked like he just didn't want to be in there. Tony is still fighting, but like Cowboy, age and damage have just caught up to him. Also like Cowboy, there is frankly just nobody I want to see him fight any more. His last 3 fights in retrospect haven't even been fun fights. Do I want to see him against a guy that can do a f***ton more damage to him like Hooker? No. No, I don't. Do I want to see him get wrestlef***ed by Islam? No. No I don't. Do I want to see some young lion try to make their name off of Tony? No. No, I don't. I wish he'd retire, but I don't see that happening.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Chandler feels like the same fighter he's been since he really broke into the top end of the LW division with Bellator. He's got all the tools to be an absolute monster, and he is a beast, but he just doesn't have the fight IQ to be a consistent champion. He's the type of guy that you feel could beat anyone on any given night but also lose to anyone on any given night. He's really easy to cheer for because he's an extremely exciting fighter and that's what he aims for but I can't help but feel if he were a little smarter he could have been dominant (the chin may be a little suspect, but I think that is more down to how reckless he is rather than whether or not he can take a shot).

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Chandler feels like the same fighter he's been since he really broke into the top end of the LW division with Bellator. He's got all the tools to be an absolute monster, and he is a beast, but he just doesn't have the fight IQ to be a consistent champion. He's the type of guy that you feel could beat anyone on any given night but also lose to anyone on any given night. He's really easy to cheer for because he's an extremely exciting fighter and that's what he aims for but I can't help but feel if he were a little smarter he could have been dominant (the chin may be a little suspect, but I think that is more down to how reckless he is rather than whether or not he can take a shot).

I was listening to Big John today and one of his comments is how gassed Chandler was at the end of the 1st round. Huge adrenaline dump and a bit nervous in there while Charles was as cool as can be even when he was in trouble. He was also having problems finding his range and like I said before at his size, he's always going to be in danger coming in on guys.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Great fight in the main event. Chandler will probably be second guessing himself going into Oliveira's guard for the G&P rather than having him stand up. He was able to land some big shots, but once Oliveira got to his back, I think it was obvious he was there enough that he wasn't going to get KO'ed by G&P shots and the ref wasn't going to step in with him defending himself. (Also, props to Big Dan for not stepping in when Oliveira was on his knees. We give them shit when they f*** up, so got to give them credit when they do a good job. Some refs might have panicked there and stopped the fight.) Beautiful hook from Oliveira to drop Chandler. Short, quick, and on the button. Regardless of whether or not I think he's the true champ, he's definitely turned a corner and is a player in one of the best divisions in the sport. Over time, he will show whether he is the true champ or not. I think Chandler said something similar in the pre fight package, but it applies to Oliveira, too.

From a fan/the UFC's perspective, Oliveira-Gaethje would be sweet. Get the division moving now that there is a new champ. Whenever the winner of Poirier/Conor is ready for their title shot, there's not really much of a difference if Oliveira or Gaethje is holing the belt. In fact, Gaethje might even be preferred by a lot of fans. However, it ain't going to happen. Oliveira would gladly wait a few months for a chance to get the McGregor payday. I know I would.

Chandler's stock doesn't drop much in my eyes. He's still right there. Would love to see Chandler-Gaethje.

I wish I could give Darisuh more credit, but this fight was always "where is Tony?" and Tony failed miserably...again. Dariush is good and did what he needed to do, but he's got to beat someone else for me to consider him a title contender. I think Dariush-RDA makes sense, but RDA needs to fight sooner than end of 2021, so I guess we'll see where the division is when Dariush is ready.

I've seen/heard a lot of Woodley comparisons for Tony, but to me Tony is much more Cowboy. Until his last fight Woodley looked like he just didn't want to be in there. Tony is still fighting, but like Cowboy, age and damage have just caught up to him. Also like Cowboy, there is frankly just nobody I want to see him fight any more. His last 3 fights in retrospect haven't even been fun fights. Do I want to see him against a guy that can do a f***ton more damage to him like Hooker? No. No, I don't. Do I want to see him get wrestlef***ed by Islam? No. No I don't. Do I want to see some young lion try to make their name off of Tony? No. No, I don't. I wish he'd retire, but I don't see that happening.

Tony can put a bit of weight and fight Cowboy for their last blowout!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Tony can put a bit of weight and fight Cowboy for their last blowout!
Cowboy actually said he wants to cut down to 155 for his next fight, it's a somewhat even matchup given where they each are, and although their first fight wasn't particularly close, it didn't end cleanly. So it's not a bad idea IMO. The only downside is that it might encourage the winner to keep fighting.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

to be fair, Oliveira would have probably survived by butt scooping if Chandler let him up. So might as well get some damage in.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Cowboy actually said he wants to cut down to 155 for his next fight, it's a somewhat even matchup given where they each are, and although their first fight wasn't particularly close, it didn't end cleanly. So it's not a bad idea IMO. The only downside is that it might encourage the winner to keep fighting.

I don't see Tony stopping and he's slowed down quite a bit from a couple of years ago. I wish he could find a gig as a coach or something so he doesn't take any more abuse.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
3AC072CD-27D2-465E-9FE7-945FC458E3AB.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad