GDT: UFC 262: Oliveira vs. Chandler

member 51464

Great fight in the main event. Chandler will probably be second guessing himself going into Oliveira's guard for the G&P rather than having him stand up. He was able to land some big shots, but once Oliveira got to his back, I think it was obvious he was there enough that he wasn't going to get KO'ed by G&P shots and the ref wasn't going to step in with him defending himself. (Also, props to Big Dan for not stepping in when Oliveira was on his knees. We give them shit when they f*** up, so got to give them credit when they do a good job. Some refs might have panicked there and stopped the fight.) Beautiful hook from Oliveira to drop Chandler. Short, quick, and on the button. Regardless of whether or not I think he's the true champ, he's definitely turned a corner and is a player in one of the best divisions in the sport. Over time, he will show whether he is the true champ or not. I think Chandler said something similar in the pre fight package, but it applies to Oliveira, too.
I don't get the bolded. He earned his shot at the title and won in convincing fashion. He is the undisputed and true champ. Even if he loses his first defense, he is the true champ now and is in the record books forever for being the undisputed guy at this weightclass in this moment in time.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't get the bolded. He earned his shot at the title and won in convincing fashion. He is the undisputed and true champ. Even if he loses his first defense, he is the true champ now and is in the record books forever for being the undisputed guy at this weightclass in this moment in time.
With Khabib retired, Poirier is the uncrowned champ. Unless Oliveira beats Poirier (or I suppose Conor if Conor beats Poirier), he will be a footnote in history as the guy that kept the belt warm for Poirier as he went and got paid for the Conor trilogy.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The sad thing with Tony as opposed to Cowboy is Tony looks gun shy in the octagon now. I don't think he's landed one significant strike in his last two fights. I got a bad feeling as soon as Dariush came out and immediately took the center of the octagon and Tony seemed perfectly content with that arrangement. Cerrone at least still has a warrior's mindset despite being outclassed physically in every way by average fighters now.

Also, it appears Tony has again gotten a new team (not sure who it is yet). So he's now that guy who changes coaches after every loss.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Convincing fashion in that he finished but I mean, he was like 1 or 2 punches away from getting stopped himself. Another ref even and Chandler could have easily had the belt.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad