GDT: UFC 259: Blachowicz vs. Adesanya

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I think this is definitely the end of whatever faint chance there may have been for Izzy v. Jones though. Izzy could definitely compete at LH but he'd probably need to take a long layoff to adjust his body properly and I don't think he'd want to sit out that long. He's never going up to heavyweight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
this is a bigger thing than people realize with mma judging. jan wasn't in danger the whole fight. you're not going to point the champion in a close fight

It's really, really not a thing.

member 51464

Wait...wait...wait...wait...what were the cards?

I think the right guy won, but....
It is one of those ones where 3 rounds could go either way and 2 were clearly the other way. So anything from 48-47 to 49-46 seems not crazy. But top control for half the 5th and ending with hammer fists earned two 10-8s out of three judges, I guess.

Reactions: pistolpete11

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Nice fight, gritty effort by Jan. Izzy will have to get his aura back after that one, showed some holes more than expected but not overly shocked. Blachowicz fought a smart fight and did what he had to do in the championship rounds.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
this was probably about as bad as the card could have gone for the ufc. guy wins a belt by getting a knee to the face, nunes casually disposes of another manufactured contender, and jan's power keeps izzy on the outside for 3 rounds and on his back for the last 2. probably not a lot of celebration behind the scenes.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It is one of those ones where 3 rounds could go either way and 2 were clearly the other way. So anything from 48-47 to 49-46 seems not crazy. But top control for half the 5th and ending with hammer fists earned two 10-8s out of three judges, I guess.
I don't think either R4 or R5 were 10-8's....at least how they usually score fights.....but again, the right guy won IMO.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I do not always agree with the UFC judges. I have a vision, closer to the thai boxers.
Who, with such a finish, where Adesnaya is saved by the gong, the win goes clearly to Blachowiz.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
this was probably about as bad as the card could have gone for the ufc. guy wins a belt by getting a knee to the face, nunes casually disposes of another manufactured contender, and jan's power keeps izzy on the outside for 3 rounds and on his back for the last 2. probably not a lot of celebration behind the scenes.

Totally agreed. Not great at all.

Reactions: CDJ

member 51464

Nice fight, gritty effort by Jan. Izzy will have to get his aura back after that one, showed some holes more than expected but not overly shocked. Blachowicz fought a smart fight and did what he had to do in the championship rounds.
Too bad Till already has a fight booked, haha. Israel would surely love to put on a show and knock him out to get his groove back.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I only gave Izzy the third round.

Jan was patient, while Izzy was busy throwing faints trying to draw an overreaction, Jan was connecting.

member 51464

I don't think either R4 or R5 were 10-8's....at least how they usually score fights.....but again, the right guy won IMO.
Yeah, I feel like it is often talked about that the rules were re-written to make 10-8s easier to come by and judges never really did. So they still feel like they should be closer to "guy barely survived". I don't know.

When the right guy gets his hand raised, I don't care about the scorecards personally.

Reactions: pistolpete11

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

I don’t think it’s a guarantee he beats Jan

He lost to a guy who Jan demolished (I’m not even gonna argue that, Reyes won) and imo lost to a guy on zero legs

Jon seems to think he’s still old Jon. Haven’t seen that guy in awhile. He’s turned into MMA Mayweather to a degree, just with closer fights

Reactions: I am not exposed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised that Jan won most rounds on the scorecards...

Any time they mentioned the significant strikes landed, Jan was ahead
I think the confusion is that to get to 49-45, that means Jan won R4 or R5 as a 10-8.

That seems like a stretch to me.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Very surprised at the result. I thought Adesanya was a very safe bet to win.

But he lost and it wasn't that close.

Blachowicz proved he isn't a paper champion, simply given the belt because of someone else vacating it. He is the real deal.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't know where the line is, but Yan was way over it.

Yan said after that he was looking at Sterling's hands to make sure they weren't on the ground and didn't notice his knee was down. Seems kind of crazy to not notice, but I'm sure the mind is racing at the time and things happen quickly. Obviously an unfortunate result.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Could see 48-47 or 48-46 but 49-45 on two of the cards?
The ground and pound by Jan wasn't filled with big shots, just ground control and pop shots to show action.

Standing up they both landed their shots, Izzy landed some great leg kicks but just found those two score cards way off.

Reactions: h2 and CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5