GDT: UFC 259: Blachowicz vs. Adesanya

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
For sure. These kind of divisions are fine to have around, just don't build real divisions around them. The woman's 145 division should be the champ, the person she's fighting, and maybe 4 other fighters who are fighting to see who the next challenger is. That's it. Nobody wants to see the #9 vs #12 145lb woman's fighters square off on a Fight Night main card.
Exactly. Whenever you need new blood, just pull some from Invicta or PFL or whatever other organization. Let those smaller promotions build them up.

And/or give some BW like Holm or GDR some fights at FW just to keep things moving.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah, 4lbs under the maximum is still pretty significant. Can't remember seeing anything more than 1lb under in any title fight.

I know Anderson Silva was 182 or 183 for a title fight.. possibly against Leites? But yeah, can't think of much since that.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Jan will likely end up closer to 230 tomorrow night so he’ll have a 25-30 pound advantage.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
For sure. These kind of divisions are fine to have around, just don't build real divisions around them. The woman's 145 division should be the champ, the person she's fighting, and maybe 4 other fighters who are fighting to see who the next challenger is. That's it. Nobody wants to see the #9 vs #12 145lb woman's fighters square off on a Fight Night main card.
Agreed, not nearly enough talent to have a top 10 or 15 ranked at 145, id stick to just top 5.

Reactions: m9

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
No disrespect to Anderson but UFC needs to either recruit for 145 lb women's division or cut it. There's not much going on there. Add some recruits and see what happens.
Nunes is becoming dominant to the point that the division is becoming obsolete.

The same was happening to the men's lightweight division prior to Khabib's retirement.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Nunes is becoming dominant to the point that the division is becoming obsolete.

The same was happening to the men's lightweight division prior to Khabib's retirement.

That wasn't remotely the same thing, 155 was possibly the deepest and most competitive division in the UFC along with 145, Women's 145 doesn't even have rankings. There's a huge difference between a division with a dominant champion clearing out contenders and a division you can barely make fights in. Even still, the competition Khabib had at 155 was far stronger than Nunes has at 145.

Women's 145 was created pretty much solely for Cyborg to have fights in, then the UFC got rid of her rather than have have her rematch Nunes so it was always on the path to becoming obsolete with or without Nunes's dominance. It was already kind of pointless when Cyborg was still in the UFC.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The card is definitely stacked but I have a feeling the main event might not be the most exciting fight. It just seems to me the clearest path to victory for Adesanya is to be evasive and just keep touching Blachowicz and I don't think Blachowicz has the speed or skills to catch Adesanya if he does that. I say Adesanya wins by unanimous decision.

I should be cheering for Aljo since's he's from NY but I really like Yan. Whenever you hear him speak with the limited English he has you can tell he's probably hilarious in his native language.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Watching the countdown show and seeing Izzy attending an All Blacks match in front of a full stadium, I wonder if the UFC entertained the idea of having the event in New Zealand? Seems like it would’ve been the perfect opportunity, especially considering that now that Texas is open Dana’s falling over himself to book the first event there.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Watching the countdown show and seeing Izzy attending an All Blacks match in front of a full stadium, I wonder if the UFC entertained the idea of having the event in New Zealand? Seems like it would’ve been the perfect opportunity, especially considering that now that Texas is open Dana’s falling over himself to book the first event there.

Would have been hard getting all the fighters and UFC staffers there. From listening to Dan Hooker's interview with Helwani New Zealand's COVID protocols for incoming travelers are no joke. Hooker actually said taking off his gloves in the octagon in frustration after the Chandler fight was primarily a result of knowing he was going to have to go back through the NZ COVID protocol again right after taking such a quick loss.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Would have been hard getting all the fighters and UFC staffers there. From listening to Dan Hooker's interview with Helwani New Zealand's COVID protocols for incoming travelers are no joke. Hooker actually said taking off his gloves in the octagon in frustration after the Chandler fight was primarily a result of knowing he was going to have to go back through the NZ COVID protocol again right after taking such a quick loss.

Ahhh right, didn’t think of that. I’m sure that would’ve put a quick end to any discussion.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Dallas shut Dana down so he’s trying to work with Houston now

Anyway my predictions to make money off of (by fading)

Izzy
Nunes
Aljo
Islam
Santos
Kenney
Benavidez
Song
KKF
Elliott
Ulberg
Brady (I’ll call my shot with a guillotine)
Lemos
Medic
Jones

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009

14 day quarantine. No exceptions.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Hooker fought in January and just got out of quarantine 4 days ago...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Only 6 hours for covid to f*** things up! I’ll make a sacrifice to the MMA gods to keep this thing intact until first walkout

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Can't believe we made it to this card and the fights are still on. So excited

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Dude. Jan is a savage.

I knew the story of the rope which is savage enough, but to hear him so casually tell the story and say stuff like "this was funny because"...

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Only 6 hours for covid to f*** things up! I’ll make a sacrifice to the MMA gods to keep this thing intact until first walkout
The good thing is that this card is so stacked it wont ruin it.

These prelims could be a good fight night card on their own.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Dude. Jan is a savage.

I knew the story of the rope which is savage enough, but to hear him so casually tell the story and say stuff like "this was funny because"...

oh yeah, he touches that rope all the time before fights. Absolute maniac, it’s why i bet on him to beat Reyes. I figured there’s something to that rope

I hope he brings his wrestling shoes tonight because I don’t think he can keep it standing

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
oh yeah, he touches that rope all the time before fights. Absolute maniac, it’s why i bet on him to beat Reyes. I figured there’s something to that rope

I hope he brings his wrestling shoes tonight because I don’t think he can keep it standing
Yeah, I know, but I thought it was a dark, death metal type thing. But he's just joking around and laughing about it.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Don’t sleep on Medic, kid looks like a possible stud

The guy he’s fighting has PREPOSTEROUS length for the division but he got brutalized by alpha ginger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad