GDT: UFC 235: Jones vs. Smith

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I'm not predicting the upset, but I have a feeling that Usman will dethrone Woodley on Saturday

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Cheaters gonna cheat. Would love to see Askren win and then challenge Khabib to a fight. Would be very interesting to see that match up...

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'm not predicting the upset, but I have a feeling that Usman will dethrone Woodley on Saturday
Just don't see it. He's like a middle class man's Woodley. Tyron is better just about everywhere, except maybe cardio but even then we've seen Tyron win multiple 5 round fights, even when he was injured with a broken foot and torn labrum.

Reactions: pistolpete11

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

LMFAO. This guy basically has a get out of jail card with this metabolite picogram bullshit

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Seeing people get outraged about something they are clueless about never gets old.

Okay I lied, it's getting a little old.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
All fighters made weight

Usman looks absolutely jacked! He's bigger than Woodley!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Seeing people get outraged about something they are clueless about never gets old.

I don't even care anymore. I'm so tired of suspensions, pouting because teammates got suspended, pouting because you think you deserve a title shot, injuries, weight cutting problems, etc. I just want to see the best guys fighting each other.

I dislike Jones as much as the next guy, but I will give him credit for looking to be active in 2019. Obviously he needs to actually do it, but it's a only a few months since the Gus fight, so he's being true to his word so far. I'll still be rooting against him in most of his fights for a number of reasons (including being 100% convinced that he was cheating in the past), but I'm just glad he's back fighting.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't even care anymore. I'm so tired of suspensions, pouting because teammates got suspended, pouting because you think you deserve a title shot, injuries, weight cutting problems, etc. I just want to see the best guys fighting each other.

I dislike Jones as much as the next guy, but I will give him credit for looking to be active in 2019. Obviously he needs to actually do it, but it's a only a few months since the Gus fight, so he's being true to his word so far. I'll still be rooting against him in most of his fights for a number of reasons (including being 100% convinced that he was cheating in the past), but I'm just glad he's back fighting.

Totally. Lets see some great fights involving the top guys in each division.

I think it's great people hate Jones, it creates more interest in his fights. When he finally loses it's going to a crazy moment in the sport and whoever beats him is going to gain a ton of fans. I don't think it happens this weekend, but who knows.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Women's divisions are developing. I see it similar to watching a young/inexperienced hockey or basketball team develop, compare it to 2 or 3 years ago and it's actually a huge improvement.
I personally enjoy it because sometimes you get some awesome fights and it is also good for future betting lol. I don't really have a problem with them trying to showcase it either....I mean unlike Greg Hardy I see the reasoning.

This is the best card top to bottom in a long freaking time. Zabit will get his moment headlining the ESPN part, Johnny Walker gonna smash.

The thing that will be interesting about the Askren fight is he's about to get hit harder than he ever has before....how did that work out for Cyborg??

Let them develop on the undercard

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

What is getting old?

I mean everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I have a hard time thinking anyone knowing the facts actually believes what is being put forth to excuse Jones' PED usage.

Again, the explanation is that Jones accidentally ingested a trace amount of turinabol (tainted, they say, I believe the expression was a pinch of salt in an Olympic sized swimming pool...or something), and now that accidental, marginal amount, is causing him to "pulse" long term metabolites indefinitely (based on one person's theory with no peer review and an inability to replicate the results)?

I'm no chemist, but that certainly doesn't pass the smell test especially given the other tests he failed, his brother getting popped, and his other issues.

There's no real outrage here, but it all seems very obvious what is going on. It is what it is.

Reactions: LSCII

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Totally. Lets see some great fights involving the top guys in each division.

I think it's great people hate Jones, it creates more interest in his fights. When he finally loses it's going to a crazy moment in the sport and whoever beats him is going to gain a ton of fans. I don't think it happens this weekend, but who knows.
Love 'em or hate 'em. It's a proven formula.

And Colby is the exception that proves it true. I just wish he'd go away.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
What is getting old?

I mean everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I have a hard time thinking anyone knowing the facts actually believes what is being put forth to excuse Jones' PED usage.

Again, the explanation is that Jones accidentally ingested a trace amount of turinabol (tainted, they say, I believe the expression was a pinch of salt in an Olympic sized swimming pool...or something), and now that accidental, marginal amount, is causing him to "pulse" long term metabolites indefinitely (based on one person's theory with no peer review and an inability to replicate the results)?

I'm no chemist, but that certainly doesn't pass the smell test especially given the other tests he failed, his brother getting popped, and his other issues.

There's no real outrage here, but it all seems very obvious what is going on. It is what it is.
I believe the pinch of salt in an Olympic swimming pool was the amount of turinabol that they found in his system before the Gus fight. Not the amount he ingested.

I don't buy the tainted supplement thing. I think he was cheating and got caught. I think the most damning thing is that he became a USADA snitch. How can you be a snitch if you don't know anything?

The pulsing thing, I don't really know about. If they can tell short term vs. long term metabolites, then I don't really see the problem. I highly doubt that something you took years ago can have that much of an effect on you today, so what's the problem? Making him sit out until every trace of it is gone when there's no evidence that it is helping him seems crazy severe.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Usman is going to win easily and shock everyone, finally ending Woodley's boring as hell reign...
I still don't really get this 'Woodley is boring' narrative. I mean, he's not the most exciting fighter but he had 2 boring fights against highly specialized fighters, on the opposite ends of the spectrum, back-to-back. He fought those fights smart. I feel like people praise GSP as one of the GOATs largely due to how smart he fought and then turn around and use that against Woodley and call him boring.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I still don't really get this 'Woodley is boring' narrative. I mean, he's not the most exciting fighting but he had 2 boring fights against highly specialized fighters, on the opposite ends of the spectrum, back-to-back. He fought those fights smart. I feel like people praise GSP as one of the GOATs largely due to how smart he fought and then turn around and use that against Woodley and call him boring.

I dislike GSP for this exact reason. You're a f***ing fighter for christ's sake. At some point you need to stop playing it safe and uh, actually fight. Woodley has habitually played it safe and then blamed his opponents' style for being so cautious.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I dislike GSP for this exact reason. You're a ****ing fighter for christ's sake. At some point you need to stop playing it safe and uh, actually fight. Woodley has habitually played it safe and then blamed his opponents' style for being so cautious.
I don't recall anyone saying he played it safe or was boring when he demolished Till. The first Wonderboy fight was Fight of the Night. He KO'ed Lawler in the first round. Again, it was 2 boring fights.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't recall anyone saying he played it safe or was boring when he demolished Till. The first Wonderboy fight was Fight of the Night. He KO'ed Lawler in the first round. Again, it was 2 boring fights.

Till was grossly over matched. Maia fight was boring as f***. Both Wonderboy fights were boring as f***. Gastellum another boring no risk decision. I get why he limits his exposure to risk, but it's not a style I enjoy watching. If you do, enjoy. Personally, I don't, so I'm critical of it.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Both Wonderboy fights were boring as ****.
It really irritates me when I hear this narrative being spewed. The fact is the 2nd fight was so damn boring that people misremember the first fight. As already stated it was FOTN, Wonderboy was doing his little karate point thing on his winning rounds, and Woodley was just ****ing him up on his rounds. Idk I personally classify the first fight as a classic....and I'm not trying to single you out because I hear it pretty regularly. But it's just not true imo, that fight was incredible.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It really irritates me when I hear this narrative being spewed. The fact is the 2nd fight was so damn boring that people misremember the first fight. As already stated it was FOTN, Wonderboy was doing his little karate point thing on his winning rounds, and Woodley was just ****ing him up on his rounds. Idk I personally classify the first fight as a classic....and I'm not trying to single you out because I hear it pretty regularly. But it's just not true imo, that fight was incredible.

I didn't think it was all that exciting, TBH. Especially when you contrast it with the main event and JJ vs Karolina. Even Romero vs Wideman was more interesting to me. And you know why? Because T-Wood is a low risk kind of fighter.

Even in tonight's event, I'm only interested in his fight because I want to see what Usman can do against him. Woodley is a smart fighter and he wins a lot, but his wins aren't a lot of him throwing caution to the wind. They're more surgical and safe.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
One of the best prelim cards I've seen. Johnny Walker is a nice addition

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Till was grossly over matched. Maia fight was boring as ****. Both Wonderboy fights were boring as ****. Gastellum another boring no risk decision. I get why he limits his exposure to risk, but it's not a style I enjoy watching. If you do, enjoy. Personally, I don't, so I'm critical of it.
Like @zombie kopitar said the first WB fight was great. Also, Wonderboy and Maia have boring fights historically. Woodley also tore his labrum against Maia in the first round which resulted in a low output of punches and against Gastelum he fractured his foot in the first round as well. Most of Woodley's other fights have been fairly entertaining, look at what he did to Till, Koschek, Lawler etc. He's one of the most well rounded fighters of all time and probably the second best WW ever.

Dude gets no respect or leeway and it's a shame.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Till was grossly over matched. Maia fight was boring as ****. Both Wonderboy fights were boring as ****. Gastellum another boring no risk decision. I get why he limits his exposure to risk, but it's not a style I enjoy watching. If you do, enjoy. Personally, I don't, so I'm critical of it.
Sure, if you dismiss his exciting fights, I guess he's boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad