GDT: UFC 226: Miocic vs. Cormier

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I wouldn't like it, but I'd be OK with it if he turned down an interim title fight. These guys work so hard and put so much on the line. Winning an actual UFC title is a life changing accomplishment, both as a goal and financially. Their careers are so short, too. He could lose to Stephens and then never get another chance to fight for the actual title again. Selfishly, yeah, I wanted UFC 226 to be a better card and I admire the guys that say "**** it. I'll fight anybody" like Cowboy, Conor, Frankie, etc., but I could understand it from his point of view.

.........BUT the reason he was fighting for the title in the first place is because Frankie took that fight in a very similar situation. Ortega should have passed on the opportunity.

There are only 2 fights that make sense for DC, IMO. Jon Jones and Brock. Both of which could be at HW. I think there is still a market for DC-Jones 3 now that he's the 2-division champ and it very well could set him apart in the GOAT conversation if he wins it. The interesting part for me would be if it would be at 205 or HW. From the UFC's point of view, HW would probably be better. That way, you have Brock vs. whoever wins it and it's still a monster PPV. With Brock, the only reason is the $$$.

Blades, Gus, even Romero, etc., those fights do nothing for DC, IMO. They are tough, tough fights, don't further his legacy even if he wins, and aren't big money fights. There's no upside for him. If we are talking about deserving, yeah, Gus at 205 and Blades at HW are the only 2 fights DC should be taking.

I think DC makes an exception on his March retirement date if it is for Jones, though.

Everyone agrees that there are only two fights that really make sense for DC. The problem is DC wants another fight in 2018 and neither of those two are available. So now what?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I'm probably in the minority but if there's a Jones/DC 3 I want it to be at HW. At the end of the day the tougher guy is the one who wins regardless of weight. If Jones is better than DC at 205 (which I think we can agree he is), and DC beats him at HW, then DC is ultimately the tougher guy. It'd be more interesting to see that fight at HW than for a third time at 205.

I don’t think you’d be in the minority at all, in fact if there is a DC/Jones 3 I expect it at HW. Jones has always talked about moving up to HW, what better time than to fight his rival for the belt? I also think DC at HW is a better fighter than DC at LHW. That weight cut has gotta be tough on him at his age.

I think ultimately DC might need to rethink his whole, “retirement by 40” plan. Depending on what happens with Jones’ suspension he could potentially have his two biggest paydays in back to back fights if he decides to prolong his career for another few months.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Everyone agrees that there are only two fights that really make sense for DC. The problem is DC wants another fight in 2018 and neither of those two are available. So now what?
I don't think everyone agrees to that since people are talking about Gus, Blades, and Romero, but isn't Jones appealing his suspension? I don't think it's definite that he won't fight in 2018. If he gets let off the hook again, then the question becomes whether DC is willing to put the Lesnar paycheck at risk by fighting a guy he's already lost to twice.

As I said though, putting his retirement on hold by a few months is the way to go. Get that Lesnar paycheck first and then fight Jones either at HW if he beats Brock or LHW if he loses.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I really only want to see a third DC/Jones fight if it happens at HW. DC is stronger and just flat out better at HW so that's going to be his best chance at winning. He actually landed some really good and clean shots in their first two fights so it'll be interesting to see if the fight being at HW changes things for him. Jones will be stronger and possibly better too though.

Lesnar not entering the testing pool earlier screwed up the timing of these potential fights for DC. They could've easily fought in November if he did it back when the rumours of his return first came up.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Jones will be stronger and possibly better too though.
Jones is a pretty skinny guy, I think LHW is ideal for him. He may be better but I think the incremental benefit through the weight class change favours DC a lot more. That being said Jon is just a great talent even though he is a piece of garbage human being and unfortunately I just don't see how DC beats him. Would love to see nothing more than DC knocking him out cold though.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think everyone agrees to that since people are talking about Gus, Blades, and Romero, but isn't Jones appealing his suspension? I don't think it's definite that he won't fight in 2018. If he gets let off the hook again, then the question becomes whether DC is willing to put the Lesnar paycheck at risk by fighting a guy he's already lost to twice.

As I said though, putting his retirement on hold by a few months is the way to go. Get that Lesnar paycheck first and then fight Jones either at HW if he beats Brock or LHW if he loses.

People are talking about those fights because Lesnar (100%) and Jones (99%) are unable to fight in 2018 and DC wants a fight. It's obviously a risk that most people wouldn't take, but as of now DC seems to want to take it anyway. So with all of that information, we are discussing the available options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad