City: Las Vegas, Nevada
Time: 10pm ET/7pm PT
Viewing: PPV

MAIN CARD (PPV)

Heavyweight Championship bout: Stipe Miocic (c) vs. Daniel Cormier
Heavyweight bout: Francis Ngannou vs. Derrick Lewis
Welterweight bout: Paul Felder vs. Mike Perry
Lightweight bout: Michael Chiesa vs. Anthony Pettis
Light Heavyweight bout: Gökhan Saki vs. Khalil Rountree Jr.

PRELIMINARY CARD (FS1, TSN 2)

Middleweight bout: Uriah Hall vs. Paulo Costa
Bantamweight bout: Raphael Assunção vs. Rob Font
Lightweight bout: Lando Vannata vs. Drakkar Klose
Welterweight bout: Curtis Millender vs. Max Griffin

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Lightweight bout: Dan Hooker vs. Gilbert Burns
Women's Strawweight bout: Jamie Moyle vs. Emily Whitmire​

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This card is so stacked. I can't wait.

The smart money is probably on Miocic in the main event but I can't count DC out. I think he has enough tools to give Miocic some problems because he should have the quickness, cardio, and grappling advantage in this fight. I hope DC pulls it off.

Co-main should be great as well. Interesting styles match up with Holloway being an elite striker and Ortega an elite grappler but both guys are very well rounded. In the end, I think Holloway's stand up will be too much and he'll get it done.

Ngannou vs. Lewis is one of those fights that just had to be made. It'll be interesting to see how Ngannou comes back after the terrible showing against Miocic, which exposed some holes in his game.

Chiesa vs. Pettis and Felder vs. Perry have the potential to be very good fights.

I'm also looking forward to the return of both Saki and Costa. They're two exciting strikers who haven't fought in some time.

Even the Fight Pass portion of the card is good. Hooker vs. Burns is a fun match up. The Vannata hype train might've taken a bit of a hit but he's never in a boring fight.

There's Tavares vs. Adesanya on Friday night as well. That's a big step up on competition for Adesanya. The rest of the card isn't good and I haven't seen any of TUF so there's probably no point in creating a separate thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: m9

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Holloway out for title fight, concussion like symptoms.

Sigh

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Holloway out for title fight, concussion like symptoms.

Sigh
I'm so disappointed. I badly wanted to see this fight even more than DC/Stipe but of course it falls through.

Being a fan of combat sports is so f***ing frustrating. In boxing the best fighters deny the fans of marquee matchups and have a ton of politics and posturing, while in MMA 50% of the time it seems like whenever a premier fight is scheduled it gets cancelled either due to one guy getting injured or not making weight or whatever. So tired of this.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Sadly it's gotten to the point now where the UFC needs to pay a top 10 guy to make weight as an alternate for every main (and sometimes co-main) event.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Just brutal. I don't know why the UFC doesn't try to fix these things already.

Holloway shouldn't be fighting at 145lbs. He sounded/looked completely out of it during that interview with Bisping. They say "concussion symptoms", but I'm guessing it's another hard weight cut and he was struggling.

Reactions: Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sadly it's gotten to the point now where the UFC needs to pay a top 10 guy to make weight as an alternate for every main (and sometimes co-main) event.

They could also just plan their cards a bit better so that they have options on the undercard. They even had another card on Friday - have a contender fight at 145lbs somewhere on those two cards in case this happens seems pretty obvious. They had options at HW for this card.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It wouldn’t be the big July card without a significant fight falling through. Hopefully Holloway will be okay and they can do this fight later on before he moves to 155.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's still terrible because Holloway vs. Ortega is a great fight but at least the card is so good that you can just shift Ngannou vs. Lewis into the co-main slot and then put Felder vs. Perry on the main card.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I'm so disappointed. I badly wanted to see this fight even more than DC/Stipe but of course it falls through.

Being a fan of combat sports is so ****ing frustrating. In boxing the best fighters deny the fans of marquee matchups and have a ton of politics and posturing, while in MMA 50% of the time it seems like whenever a premier fight is scheduled it gets cancelled either due to one guy getting injured or not making weight or whatever. So tired of this.
It's why I'm so hesitant about getting tickets to the Calgary show coming up. Maybe I'll wait until a few days before, but even then you don't know.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's why I'm so hesitant about getting tickets to the Calgary show coming up. Maybe I'll wait until a few days before, but even then you don't know.

I think I've been saying on this forum for 5 or 10 years - never buy UFC tickets until the last minute. Like, one week in advance is the most and even that's a risk. The price never goes up and people are always selling. It's not like other sporting events.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Cormier's gonna weigh three bills six months after he retires. Chael brought this up so not sure if it's true but apparently DC said he planned to weigh around 235 for this fight. 246 is significantly off. He had a great run at HW beating slower opponents, Stipe is as fast or faster and also has a tremendous general size advantage. I really don't see a path to victory here for DC. As long as Ngannou isn't gun-shy after the Stipe fight I don't see how he doesn't walk right through Lewis.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Cormier's gonna weigh three bills six months after he retires. Chael brought this up so not sure if it's true but apparently DC said he planned to weigh around 235 for this fight. 246 is significantly off. He had a great run at HW beating slower opponents, Stipe is as fast or faster and also has a tremendous general size advantage. I really don't see a path to victory here for DC. As long as Ngannou isn't gun-shy after the Stipe fight I don't see how he doesn't walk right through Lewis.

To be fair, DC said his plan at the start of camp was to get down to around 235 lbs but he was performing well in training around 245 lbs so him and his team decided to stay a bit heavier. I think he'll still be pretty fast but who knows about the cardio if the fight gets to rounds 4 and 5.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier –for heavyweight title
Derrick Lewis vs. Francis Ngannou
Michael Chiesa
vs. Anthony Pettis
Khalil Rountree vs. Gokhan Saki
Paul Felder vs. Mike Perry
Preliminary Card (FS1, 8 p.m. ET)
Paulo Costa (11-0) vs. Uriah Hall
Raphael Assuncao vs. Rob Font
Max Griffin vs. Curtis Millender
Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 p.m. ET)
Gilbert Burns vs. Dan Hooker
Drakkar Klose vs. Lando Vannata
Jamie Moyle
vs. Emily Whitmire

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Not at all impressed with Ortega choosing not to fight on this card

I think the UFC should tell him he'll have to win another fight before getting his title shot

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Not at all impressed with Ortega choosing not to fight on this card

I think the UFC should tell him he'll have to win another fight before getting his title shot

It's all risk for him. He has already earned the title shot and they wanted him to put that on the line on a few days notice. They also wanted him to do it against Stephens, who has lost to all three guys Ortega just finished in his last three fights. Stephens is on a nice run since then and is close to a title shot himself but I can see why Ortega wasn't going for that.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It's all risk for him. He has already earned the title shot and they wanted him to put that on the line on a few days notice. They also wanted him to do it against Stephens, who has lost to all three guys Ortega just finished in his last three fights. Stephens is on a nice run since then and is close to a title shot himself but I can see why Ortega wasn't going for that.

Is he a fighter or a strategist?

If he isn't willing to take on all challengers in his weight class, he doesn't deserve to be champ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Is he a fighter or a strategist?

If he isn't willing to take on all challengers in his weight class, he doesn't deserve to be champ

Ortega showed up healthy and ready to fight. Point the finger at the guy who has had weight cutting issues and then dropped out on a few days notice again. Max shouldn't be fighting at 145lbs.

Reactions: Avs_19

member 51464

First row sports is really sucking for me today :(

edit: for some reason my credit card flagged it as a fraudulent purchase. I was looking for a stream while I called in to reset it. In the two minutes it took, I missed the first fight. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad