GDT: UFC 196: McGregor vs. Diaz

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Aldo was training already when they got the call to fight McGregor, and I don't believe in the "unable to make weight" excuse. Keep yourself in shape inbetween fights, especially if you're chomping at the bit to take on a specific fighter (fighting him anywhere and any time, as Aldo so boldly stated) -- there are so many instances of top level fighters pulling out of fights due to injury you should know there's at least a decent chance that opportunity is going to pop up.

Now whether he would have been cleared to fight is another story, but it doesn't change that they turned it down.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Aldo wasn't medically cleared to train at that point. And no where close to being able to make 145 or 155 when that was offered.

From what I could find, he was cleared for contact on January 27th, suspended until February 11th.

I'm guessing they offered him the fight at 155, he wanted it at 145, and no deal.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
miesha-tate-holly-holm-ufc-196-scorecard.jpg

Holy ****. Surprised but not upset. Homestly we need more scores like these.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I thought McGregor would beat Diaz, so i'll eat my words on that. That said, it's hilarious seeing Aldo call out Conor after a loss. He's talking all of a sudden now? Maybe Conor bounced his skull off the canvas a little too hard.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I thought McGregor would beat Diaz, so i'll eat my words on that. That said, it's hilarious seeing Aldo call out Conor after a loss. He's talking all of a sudden now? Maybe Conor bounced his skull off the canvas a little too hard.

Everyone sees now that you have to be vocal and out there to get shots. Aldo calling Conor a ***** has more bang to it than Edgar "whining" (I don't think he's whining), it makes sense. I bet if Edgar came out and called Conor a ***** and said he's scared already, etc, he'd have a much better shot at getting the fight.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's really annoying the way that the UFC has treated Edgar tbh. Especially since Edgar has always towed the line, been a consummate professional and stepped up to every challenge. He's a real fighter.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It's really annoying the way that the UFC has treated Edgar tbh. Especially since Edgar has always towed the line, been a consummate professional and stepped up to every challenge. He's a real fighter.

Agreed. Would love to see him get a title shot, but I don't think coming of two split decision wins has done him any favours. He's really lost in the shuffle right now.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
McGregor-Aldo 2
Lawler-Condit 2
Edgar-Holloway

Is what I'd like to see. I said earlier throw Diaz/RDA there but that's too many 5 rounders :laugh:. Maybe Silva vs someone? Or Diaz vs Cowboy 2 or Nick Diaz vs Cowboy? Idk. Hard to see how they're gonna load up 200, but there are lots of possibilities. Maybe a Holm-Zingano #1 contender fight? Hmmm

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They haven't had three title fights on one card since the UFC 33 debacle so they might be done with that for good.

Hard to say what'll happen at UFC 200 without knowing whose available but I bet they're going to throw a ton of money at GSP and/or Rousey.

I'd also go with Frankie over Aldo. Conor is the one selling that fight so I don't think there would be too much of a difference in interest if it's Frankie in there with him. Aldo's great but just too much sitting on the sideline *****ing and complaining. Go fight someone.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I go with Aldo because the result was flukish and I think there's a lot more fight there to be had.

Edgar has definitely been disrespected, though. His last five fights are pretty difficult to match in terms of the quality of win.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston

Im not an Edgar fan, but he always acts like a real pro. I completely agree with you and wish the UFC did, too

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
Agreed. Would love to see him get a title shot, but I don't think coming of two split decision wins has done him any favours. He's really lost in the shuffle right now.
He's finished 3 of his last 4, and that lone decision was unanimous against a guy notoriously hard to finish.

He's always been overlooked though. From not making the cut for TUF 5 to being brought to be fed to Tyson Griffin. If you take into account that most people had him handily winning the 2nd Henderson fight, his past 7 fights is a repertoire on par with just about anyone at anytime in the sport.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Man, the UFC is really trying to sell the "Conor jumped up two weight division" thing. Pretty sure Nate is at 155. Then Conor says if he were fighting someone his size (lol..like Nate Diaz?" He'd have knocked him out. Conor went full on Johny Hendricks with his excuse train.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Man, the UFC is really trying to sell the "Conor jumped up two weight division" thing. Pretty sure Nate is at 155. Then Conor says if he were fighting someone his size (lol..like Nate Diaz?" He'd have knocked him out. Conor went full on Johny Hendricks with his excuse train.

Dana also fabricated the story that Nate was training for a triathlon. With a full camp (even at 155), Conor would have gotten his ass kicked even quicker. That fight could not have been more slanted in his favor, but he gassed throwing haymakers every few seconds for 8 minutes to try and KO a guy who's only been finished twice in 30 fights. If his opponent can eat his shots and weather the storm, he's got no answer. Back to beating up midgets, I guess.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They haven't had three title fights on one card since the UFC 33 debacle so they might be done with that for good.

Hard to say what'll happen at UFC 200 without knowing whose available but I bet they're going to throw a ton of money at GSP and/or Rousey.

I'd also go with Frankie over Aldo. Conor is the one selling that fight so I don't think there would be too much of a difference in interest if it's Frankie in there with him. Aldo's great but just too much sitting on the sideline *****ing and complaining. Go fight someone.

I think they go three title fights. They don't have a huge marquee fight, so you go quantity over quality. Plus, most of the upcoming PPV cards have two title fights, so this would make UFC 200 special.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think it's funny that Aldo is now going out there saying that McGregor has no power in his hands...he must have hit his head harder than I thought.

He's finished 3 of his last 4, and that lone decision was unanimous against a guy notoriously hard to finish.

He's always been overlooked though. From not making the cut for TUF 5 to being brought to be fed to Tyson Griffin. If you take into account that most people had him handily winning the 2nd Henderson fight, his past 7 fights is a repertoire on par with just about anyone at anytime in the sport.

Yep, Edgar vs. Maynard 2 and 3 are two of my three favourite fights of all time. I was literally on my feet for most of those fights and watching Edgar battle back to win (both fights, tbh) was nothing short of extraordinary. He's not a huge personality which limits his marketability, and we all know that the UFC is all about that cheddar.

Still, as far as I'm concerned Edgar should have still been the LW champ, and he would have beat McGregor (but they know that, and that's why they won't give him that fight).

Last edited:

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Man, the UFC is really trying to sell the "Conor jumped up two weight division" thing. Pretty sure Nate is at 155.

Yeah both fighters moved up in weight. But however the UFC wants to sell it doesn't matter to me. Meanwhile, I can't see Canelo vs Golovkin because Canelo doesn't want to move up 4 pounds.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

I don't think Conor went overboard with excuses at all.

Dana also fabricated the story that Nate was training for a triathlon. With a full camp (even at 155), Conor would have gotten his ass kicked even quicker. That fight could not have been more slanted in his favor, but he gassed throwing haymakers every few seconds for 8 minutes to try and KO a guy who's only been finished twice in 30 fights. If his opponent can eat his shots and weather the storm, he's got no answer. Back to beating up midgets, I guess.

I still think if Chad Money gets a rematch with a full camp it could be a totally different story. An Aldo rematch could turn out different too. That's the thing about fights though - you never know what's going to happen. That's what makes undefeated streaks so amazing.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think McGregor/Aldo ends the same way.

Hopefully for CMac this fight gets him back to his roots of being smart counter-punching beast that is intelligent in his movement and economical in his output. I mean, going balls out to knock someone out early and stalk them down will only work so long until you run into someone really tough like Diaz. It's always better to fight smart as opposed to just relying on your power and maybe this will be a good learning opportunity for him.

Writing Conor off of beating RDA or other lightweights because of this match with Diaz is a mistake though, IMO. Edgar presents the biggest challenge for him at 145 though.

member 51464

Yeah, I think a lot will depend on just how cerebral a fighter Conor really has the potential to be. How much does he learn from the Diaz bout? That is the question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad