GDT: UFC 194: Rockhold vs. Weidman; McGregor vs. Aldo

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I probably would be too if there were guys like Joe Rogan who make it sound like it was a 25 minute beat down that only ended because McGregor put him out of his misery. It was what it was, a flash KO. It was great timing by McGregor, but it wasn't like he outclassed him for the entirety of a bout.

Hell, I love JDS, he basically did the same thing to Cain and we saw what happened in the two rematches. I'm just hoping this really gets Aldo to become the fighter he was in WEC, rather than the safe "keep the belt" fighter he was in the UFC.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I probably would be too if there were guys like Joe Rogan who make it sound like it was a 25 minute beat down that only ended because McGregor put him out of his misery. It was what it was, a flash KO. It was great timing by McGregor, but it wasn't like he outclassed him for the entirety of a bout.

Hell, I love JDS, he basically did the same thing to Cain and we saw what happened in the two rematches. I'm just hoping this really gets Aldo to become the fighter he was in WEC, rather than the safe "keep the belt" fighter he was in the UFC.

In his rematch with Chad Mendes, Aldo showed a complete lack of ability to take a punch. He got dropped a few times during that fight and while Mendes clearly worked on his stand up, he's not an especially feared striker. After seeing him wobbled by Mendes' punches, I knew he'd get finished early by a real striker like McGregor. If they fought a hundred times, I just don't see Aldo being able to walk through those heavy shots. His best chance would be to take it to the ground (like Mendes did), but that would still only delay the inevitable. Once he got hit with a clean shot, he'd go down and McGregor would finish him, unlike Mendes.

I think the RDA vs McGregor fight is going to be very interesting. Not because I think McGregor is going to struggle against a bigger opponent, but because RDA is going to make him fight on his back most of the night.

One last point on McGregor vs Aldo. It wasn't a 25 minute war, but it was a 9 month long verbal beat down where The Notorious told him exactly what would happen, and then went out and did it. Hard to take that away from him and call it a lucky one punch when he said from the start what would happen. Sure he didn't call it being the first punch of the fight, but the scenario of Aldo overreaching and missing and eating a counter left was spot on. And Aldo's chin showed me exactly what it was made of. Glass. :laugh:

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
In his rematch with Chad Mendes, Aldo showed a complete lack of ability to take a punch. He got dropped a few times during that fight and while Mendes clearly worked on his stand up, he's not an especially feared striker. After seeing him wobbled by Mendes' punches, I knew he'd get finished early by a real striker like McGregor.

lol WUT? geez he only got dropped once in the first minutes and got back up really quickly. nowhere in that fight was he ever in trouble against Mendes lol

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
lol WUT? geez he only got dropped once in the first minutes and got back up really quickly. nowhere in that fight was he ever in trouble against Mendes lol

Never in trouble? Really? Some people scored the fight for Mendes, so I don't get why you'd say he was never in trouble.

Should have said got caught a few times instead of dropped in that fight from shots but that's just semantics and Mendes couldn't finish him. The one in the first round, he actually got back up and dropped Mendes in return. Neither guy had enough to stop the other though. Both were landing big shots and hurting each other pretty frequently in that fight but both guys lacked finishing power.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad