GDT: UFC 194: Rockhold vs. Weidman; McGregor vs. Aldo

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC194

Can't wait for these two fights. Love McGregor's schtick...but Aldo is a whole different animal. Have a feeling McGregor is biting off more than he can chew with these antics. Too bad for East-coasters like myself it probably won't start until 1am EST. Would love to see the main events end before the start of the next day.

Saturday, December 12 - PPV

The Jesus*

Omg it's happening! I have NEVER been this excited for a card. Not even for Penn vs GSP 2.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don't think any card will have me more excited than the first Liddell/Ortiz fight and Pride Final Conflict 2005.

But I am looking forward to this.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Yeah...the main event won't get going until after midnight for sure. The Rousey-Holm fight was well after midnight.

As for Aldo-McGregor...I think "The Notorious" has a pretty good shot, due to his knockout power...something that Aldo has seemingly lost. Of Aldo's last 9 fights (all wins), 6 went the distance and to a decision...including his last fight against Chad Mendes, whom Conor waxed in the 2nd round this past July. But Jose is just so darn hard to hit, and I don't know that McGregor will be able to do enough damage to land the finishing blows. And one thing is for sure - Jose Aldo HATES Conor McGregor...especially after the Irishman grabbed his belt from him at the presser. :laugh:

I'd love to see McGregor back up his words in the ring. I actually feel like this fight has a bit of a Weidman-Silva vibe to it...with the current champ being considered the best PFP-fighter out there. I wouldn't be surprised to see McGregor take down Aldo...though i don't think it will be due to a broken leg ala Anderson Silva.

As for the Weidman fight - dude is an animal. I think he's easily the best in the business right now. Rockhold will be a good test. Their common opponent, Lyoto Machida lasted all 5 rounds with Weidman, but got submissioned by Rockhold in the second round of their fight. I would be very surprised to see Weidman lose this fight in any manner, however.

The Jesus*

Yeah...the main event won't get going until after midnight for sure. The Rousey-Holm fight was well after midnight.

As for Aldo-McGregor...I think "The Notorious" has a pretty good shot, due to his knockout power...something that Aldo has seemingly lost. Of Aldo's last 9 fights (all wins), 6 went the distance and to a decision...including his last fight against Chad Mendes, whom Conor waxed in the 2nd round this past July. But Jose is just so darn hard to hit, and I don't know that McGregor will be able to do enough damage to land the finishing blows. And one thing is for sure - Jose Aldo HATES Conor McGregor...especially after the Irishman grabbed his belt from him at the presser. :laugh:

I'd love to see McGregor back up his words in the ring. I actually feel like this fight has a bit of a Weidman-Silva vibe to it...with the current champ being considered the best PFP-fighter out there. I wouldn't be surprised to see McGregor take down Aldo...though i don't think it will be due to a broken leg ala Anderson Silva.

As for the Weidman fight - dude is an animal. I think he's easily the best in the business right now. Rockhold will be a good test. Their common opponent, Lyoto Machida lasted all 5 rounds with Weidman, but got submissioned by Rockhold in the second round of their fight. I would be very surprised to see Weidman lose this fight in any manner, however.

Aldo has cooled off not because of a lack of talent or power, but because he can coast to victories and still keep the belt. He doesn't take chances anymore like he used to.

Aldo in WEC was a wild animal. He'd go in for the kill immediately. But even in WEC, once he became the champ, he changed his style up and adopted a safer, more cerebral game.

Like his fight against Faber. He very easily could have went in for the kill a BUNCH of times. But he chose to stand back and slowly pick Faber apart. He brought that mindset to the UFC.

I'd like to see early WEC Aldo back, and if anyone can bring that out of him, it's McGregor.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

Aldo has cooled off not because of a lack of talent or power, but because he can coast to victories and still keep the belt. He doesn't take chances anymore like he used to.

Aldo in WEC was a wild animal. He'd go in for the kill immediately. But even in WEC, once he became the champ, he changed his style up and adopted a safer, more cerebral game.

Like his fight against Faber. He very easily could have went in for the kill a BUNCH of times. But he chose to stand back and slowly pick Faber apart. He brought that mindset to the UFC.

I'd like to see early WEC Aldo back, and if anyone can bring that out of him, it's McGregor.

I read an article recently where they interviewed a bunch of people that Jose fought. I think it was Faber that mentioned how Jose views that championship belt as guaranteed money. Unless someone really pushes him to be that killer again he really doesn't need to be.

I'm really looking forward to this card, but at the same time, no idea if I'll actually be able to watch it. My fiancée and I are getting our puppy that day, doubt she'd be super happy if I left to watch the fight.

The Jesus*

I read an article recently where they interviewed a bunch of people that Jose fought. I think it was Faber that mentioned how Jose views that championship belt as guaranteed money. Unless someone really pushes him to be that killer again he really doesn't need to be.

I'm really looking forward to this card, but at the same time, no idea if I'll actually be able to watch it. My fiancée and I are getting our puppy that day, doubt she'd be super happy if I left to watch the fight.

You can always find a new fiance. Come on, priorities.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I have to work on that day and dropping a day won't go down well. Just great.

member 51464

I hope this one is as much one as the McGregor/Mendes card was top to bottom. Too much to hope for, but I am looking for this. Never seen Aldo fight. I'd love to see him be that killer you all talk about from years gone by. Some sort of epic passing of the torch and/or the old man showing he is still top dog.

I do enjoy McGregor. A big part of sports for me is the theatre, and Connor is a great role player for that. Regardless of winner, I am hoping for an all-time great brawl.

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC194

Can't wait for these two fights. Love McGregor's schtick...but Aldo is a whole different animal. Have a feeling McGregor is biting off more than he can chew with these antics. Too bad for East-coasters like myself it probably won't start until 1am EST. Would love to see the main events end before the start of the next day.

Saturday, December 12 - PPV

Hard to find sympathy for a 1am Main Event when it will be 2am in Atlantic Canada. Hell, when Halifax hosted UFC Fight Night it was about 2-2:30am before the main event finished.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I want McGregor to win but I think Aldo is more complete and has the tools to neutralize McGregor.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I'd like to see Rockhold and McGregor win. Otherwise the current champs will have cleaned out their divisions, aside from Weidman taking the winner of the other fight. There's nothing left for Aldo in the division after this if he wins. Except for the inevitable rematch.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
UFC Fight Week: Namajunas vs. VanZant, Edgar vs. Mendes, Aldo vs. McGregor

200px-Namajunas_VanZant.jpg

Date: December 10, 2015
Venue: The Chelsea at The Cosmopolitan
City: Las Vegas, Nevada
Time: 10pm ET/7pm PT
Viewing: UFC Fight Pass

MAIN CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Women's Strawweight bout: Rose Namajunas vs. Paige VanZant
Lightweight bout: Jim Miller vs. Michael Chiesa
Lightweight bout: Sage Northcutt vs. Cody Pfister
Middleweight bout: Elias Theodorou vs. Thiago Santos

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Welterweight bout: Tim Means vs. John Howard
Welterweight bout: Omari Akhmedov vs. Sérgio Moraes
Middleweight bout: Antônio Carlos Júnior vs. Kevin Casey
Bantamweight bout: Aljamain Sterling vs. Johnny Eduardo
Welterweight bout: Santiago Ponzinibbio vs. Andreas Ståhl
Welterweight bout: Danny Roberts vs. Nathan Coy
Featherweight bout: Zubaira Tukhugov vs. Phillipe Nover
Women's Strawweight bout: Kailin Curran vs. Emily Kagan

200px-TUF_22_Finale_event_poster.jpg

Date: December 11, 2015
Venue: The Chelsea at The Cosmopolitan
Viewing: Fox Sports 1, TSN

MAIN CARD (Fox Sports 1, TSN)

Featherweight bout: Frankie Edgar vs. Chad Mendes
Lightweight bout: Edson Barboza vs. Tony Ferguson
Lightweight bout: Joe Lauzon vs. Evan Dunham
Welterweight bout: Ryan LaFlare vs. Mike Pierce

PRELIMINARY CARD (Fox Sports 1, Fight Network)

Featherweight bout: Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Jason Knight
Heavyweight bout: Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Konstantin Erokhin
Flyweight bout: Joby Sanchez vs. Geane Herrera

200px-UFC_194_pre_sale.jpg

Date: December 12, 2015
Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
Viewing: PPV

MAIN CARD (PPV)

Featherweight Championship bout: José Aldo (c) vs. Conor McGregor (ic)
Middleweight Championship bout: Chris Weidman (c) vs. Luke Rockhold
Middleweight bout: Ronaldo Souza vs. Yoel Romero
Welterweight bout: Demian Maia vs. Gunnar Nelson
Featherweight bout: Max Holloway vs. Jeremy Stephens

PRELIMINARY CARD (Fox Sports 1, TSN)

Bantamweight bout: Urijah Faber vs. Frankie Saenz
Women's Strawweight bout: Tecia Torres vs. Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger
Welterweight bout: Warlley Alves vs. Colby Covington
Lightweight bout: Leonardo Santos vs. Kevin Lee

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Lightweight bout: Joe Proctor vs. Magomed Mustafaev
Lightweight bout: John Makdessi vs. Yancy Medeiros
Welterweight bout: Court McGee vs. Márcio Alexandre Jr.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Crap. Didn't see there was already a 194 thread. Should I just delete that part of this one or maybe someone can somehow merge it?

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I'm torn. I love me some rose and Paige. not something I want to see right now - in the octagon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad