Post-Game Talk: UFC 172: Rangers @ Jackets

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I've always found that the best question asked on this board is "have you ever played organized sports".

Every time I've been posed it and say yes, the asking poster never follows up... So I never understand what the intention was.

There is no point to it. Whether you have or haven't doesn't validate any particular point beside maybe being able to explain how important chemistry with team mates is, or how detrimental an incompetent coach can be... or something of anecdotal nature.

I've come to believe that people who ask that question tend to ask it to try and make a person feel inferior about their viewpoint in a very subtle and roundabout way. The point actually holds little relevance to anything about the Rangers.

Are there things i've learned from having played on a soccer team for 10+ years? Absolutely. Doesn't mean i'm the ****ing messiah on the subject of what this Rangers team is doing correctly.

Thank you, that's exactly the point I was trying to make.

Wolfy*

Well, he really was. Wasn't the greatest game for Zucc. I just assume he's still recovering from his injury. Made a bunch of passes to BJ players that he usually would get through.

His hand is just fine, and so is his game. In fact he was the only one with 2 points in this game. How much do you actually demand from players?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
His hand is just fine, and so is his game. In fact he was the only one with 2 points in this game. How much do you actually demand from players?

Well Zucc has been so good this year that we all expect him to play to his level every game. It's not the end of the world that he didn't play his best because we won anyway and he had two points to boot.

BarbaraAlphanse

Last thought before I head off:

Tonight was as close a game to a playoff scenario we could have gotten.

1) It was a must win game for the Rangers. The team needed to approach it do-or-die. Not only did they approach it that way, they overcame the adversity and pressure and won.
2) The game was closed off. There were not many golden scoring chances. But that is how the playoffs go. A lot of stuff being clogged in the neutral zone. A lot of blocks and deflections. Players being hounded everywhere they go with little to no room to do work.
3) Solid goaltending facing us. Bobrovski was the best goalie last year. His game hasn't fallen. The team found a way to get it past him. They'll have to do that against anyone in the playoffs.
4) Physicality. Rangers better be prepared to take a beating. I cringed anytime MSL and Zucc were on the ice. Everyone else better do what the majority of the team did tonight. Stick up for each other. Means there needs to be unsung hero's in this department. Tonight it was Poo and Nash. Other nights it will have to be other people. This is a necessity, not a luxury, heading into the playoffs.
5) Resilience and mental fortitude. Your best offensive player is off for 7 minutes. A boneheaded, potentially deflating pass, quickly leads to a 1-0 deficit on the road to a rabid crowd. The Rangers responded by increasing their pressure and getting the job done. Cup winners have this common denominator. Resilience. The unwillingness and sometimes inability to lose. They won't be leading every game they play in the playoffs - they need to make their own destiny.

We took a very physical beating tonight. Columbus is much bigger and much more physical. But they are less talented. They remind me a little bit of the Rangers team that led us to the ECF without the sustained system dominance. Hank played great, i'm sure theres yet another level that he can get to that will keep us competitive even in the worst of attacks. Our defense was solid (for the most part). Stralman had 1 very bad shift, and Poo shat the bed big time, but for the most part they didn't allow a team with average offensive fire power to ever really establish big time chances. Defensive play and consistency will be key in the playoffs. And the offense - it's not clicking. You can see they are forcing things and that the bounces just sometimes aren't going their way (besides the Brassard goal), but they're finding ways to get the job done... and that's all that really matters. Glad the mental fortitude of the team is no longer weak. I'm glad that they no longer have that quitters mentality that they began the season with. And if anything, tonight is a very promising indication of how the Rangers would fare on any given game in the playoffs.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Last thought before I head off:

Tonight was as close a game to a playoff scenario we could have gotten.

1) It was a must win game for the Rangers. The team needed to approach it do-or-die. Not only did they approach it that way, they overcame the adversity and pressure and won.
2) The game was closed off. There were not many golden scoring chances. But that is how the playoffs go. A lot of stuff being clogged in the neutral zone. A lot of blocks and deflections. Players being hounded everywhere they go with little to no room to do work.
3) Solid goaltending facing us. Bobrovski was the best goalie this year. His game hasn't fallen. The team found a way to get it past him. They'll have to do that against anyone in the playoffs.
4) Physicality. Rangers better be prepared to take a beating. I cringed anytime MSL and Zucc were on the ice. Everyone else better do what the majority of the team did tonight. Stick up for each other. Means there needs to be unsung hero's in this department. Tonight it was Poo and Nash. Other nights it will have to be other people. This is a necessity, not a luxury, heading into the playoffs.
5) Resilience and mental fortitude. Your best offensive player is off for 7 minutes. A boneheaded, potentially deflating pass, quickly leads to a 1-0 deficit on the road to a rabid crowd. The Rangers responded by increasing their pressure and getting the job done. Cup winners have this common denominator. Resilience. The unwillingness and sometimes inability to lose. They won't be leading every game they play in the playoffs - they need to make their own destiny.

We took a very physical beating tonight. Columbus is much bigger and much more physical. But they are less talented. They remind me a little bit of the Rangers team that led us to the ECF without the sustained system dominance. Hank played great, i'm sure theres yet another level that he can get to that will keep us competitive even in the worst of attacks. Our defense was solid (for the most part). Stralman had 1 very bad shift, and Poo shat the bed big time, but for the most part they didn't allow a team with average offensive fire power to ever really establish big time chances. Defensive play and consistency will be key in the playoffs. And the offense - it's not clicking. You can see they are forcing things and that the bounces just sometimes aren't going their way (besides the Brassard goal), but they're finding ways to get the job done... and that's all that really matters. Glad the mental fortitude of the team is no longer weak. I'm glad that they no longer have that quitters mentality that they began the season with. And if anything, tonight is a very promising indication of how the Rangers would fare on any given game in the playoffs.

Great post... but... it wasn't poo fault his stick broke in two

Wolfy*

Did you see how Kreider manhandled Anisimov? The Jacket was tossed like a rag doll.

Lack of physical play...yeah, we have Kreider. Too bad he almost never shows it.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Missed the 1st period. Rad game. Nash was amusing tonight. Didn't take any ****. We needs moars off dat. That quick Stepan goal saved our butts.

Anyway. The PP needs to get back to what it was before the break. Would be nice if St. Louis managed to get outta the funk he's in too.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I missed the first two periods, and did not see this. I sure hope John Moore can come back soon.

It's a shame, moore put himself in a vulnerable position for a moment and, of course, there's some fake toughguy more-than-happy to take his head out. No respect for a fellow pro. But im sure toughguy gets props on espn.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It was a clean hit.

It was a charge. Tho i think the refs have given up on that penalty. Its the big homerun hit that gets on espn. League doesnt want to lose that. So its 'keep ur head up'.
Anyhow.
Clean? No. Legal? Maybe, nowadays.
I admiti sound like an old fart.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Is there any video of the called-no-goals? I was only able to watch the first period...

justanomade

Norwegian
May 25, 2012
Bergen, Norway
It`s funny. A small norwegian fighter has 65 games and played a so-so game last night.

Still gets two assists and +2. Is one point ahead of Stepan, two ahead of Richards, with five games less played and at least a minute less played per game.

Steven McDonald Award anyone?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
It`s funny. A small norwegian fighter has 65 games and played a so-so game last night.

Still gets two assists and +2. Is one point ahead of Stepan, two ahead of Richards, with five games less played and at least a minute less played per game.

If I had a vote, he'd get it.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

I think signing him was a big mistake
Especially for $1.150.000
Both a waste of roster space, cap and Dolans money
Trade him for a 7th at the draft

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes