Salary Cap: UFAs and the Cap

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Hi gang,

How do you feel about going after Grabner and Green in the UFA market? UFAs are always expensive money wise but you're not coughing up assets.

Some salary has to move out of Edmonton, obviously. However I think Grabner (who can skate like the wind) could be a good pick up if the price is right. He is 30, can play RW or LW and had a Cap hit of $1.65 Million last year.

He had 36 points last season but was useless after he went to the devils. What do you all think is a decent contract for him on the Oilers?

Next: Mike Green, 32 years old coming off a big $6 million dollar a year contract. Steady 35+ points RHD performer. What do you think is a good contract for him?

Edit: I'd like to hear opinions before I go on the main trade boards and propose a deal. Knowing what we could sign and for how much impacts who we trade and for what.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Low risk acquisitions but we may not have the cap room to get them both unless we are walking away from Strome.
I say they would cost ~6M combined.

Reactions: TFHockey

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Low risk acquisitions but we may not have the cap room to get them both unless we are walking away from Strome.
I say they would cost ~6M combined.

I would say they cost closer to 9M combined.

Don't think we'll be active this UFA day. Maybe a RH center for the bottom 6 that can PK.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We are only going to have 3-4 mill to spend so we won't be able to afford either one

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Grabner would be great, he checks a few boxes. So does Green. Maroon returning would be swell. ;)

The problem is, I think legit NHL UFA signings can only bring us pain due to our faithful GM’s negotiating ability.

Fortunately, as others have stated, there is no room to even consider over paying UFAs. Whew!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Chia should explore the trade route before going for UFAs. If he strikes out, then paying up for Green would be a necessary move. With Grabner, that would be a bit of a luxury. I wouldn't be against it, but it's just that we have to be careful with cap.

Reactions: Aerrol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Grabner at a $3m AAV minimum. And Green for something between $4.5m and 5.5m on a two or three year term. So I would suggest neither. Grabner isn't a player I see thriving in the West. His role in NY was severely sheltered which is why his goal totals were so inflated while he was there. And as a result he's likely to get paid significantly on July 1st. Green isn't a terrible player but as it stands, we've got a full six D on the roster. Benning isn't about to get bumped from regular duty for a FA signing. If there's a significant add coming to the D, it's likely because one of them is moving out.

As for UFA targets--target veteran FAs and low risk reclamation deals on players who fill an organizational need.

Jannik Hansen at 3RW, Shawn Matthias at 4W/C and Austin Czarnik at Depth F and you've got three forwards capable of plugging into the bottom six and PK for the cost of Michael Grabner himself.

As it stands our depth chart looks like...

RNH - McDavid - ______
______ - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Khaira - Strome - ______
Caggiula - ______ - Kassian

Aberg, Rattie, maybe Lucic.

So personally I see us targeting a 4C, 3RW, a cheap scoring winger and a PP defenseman this summer. I wouldn't expect marquee names unless it's through trade.

Reactions: Aerrol

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Grabner at a $3m AAV minimum. And Green for something between $4.5m and 5.5m on a two or three year term. So I would suggest neither. Grabner isn't a player I see thriving in the West. His role in NY was severely sheltered which is why his goal totals were so inflated while he was there. And as a result he's likely to get paid significantly on July 1st. Green isn't a terrible player but as it stands, we've got a full six D on the roster. Benning isn't about to get bumped from regular duty for a FA signing. If there's a significant add coming to the D, it's likely because one of them is moving out.

As for UFA targets--target veteran FAs and low risk reclamation deals on players who fill an organizational need.

Jannik Hansen at 3RW, Shawn Matthias at 4W/C and Austin Czarnik at Depth F and you've got three forwards capable of plugging into the bottom six and PK for the cost of Michael Grabner himself.

RNH - McDavid - ______
Khaira - Strome - ______

So personally I see us targeting a 4C, 3RW, a cheap scoring winger and a PP defenseman this summer. I wouldn't expect marquee names unless it's through trade.

I see Khaira as the 4C, not the 3LW. I could be wrong of course.

Kassian is a fan favorite of mine but we shouldn't be paying a 4th liner $1.95 Million.

If Chia does something crazy like trade Klefbom I'd take a run at Calvin De Haan for a cheap replacement.

Grabner still has wheels and although he was invisible in NJ I think he could do some damage on Draisaitl's wing.

Green might be more expensive than I'd like. However if we can move out a contract like Lucic's and not take salary back like some pundits are suggesting we might be able to take a run at a player like Green.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We just need to find a way to move Lucic without taking much salary back as well as one of Sekera/Russel for a draft pick, then we're set.......

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I would be a little concerned with Grabner.

He's one of those odd players that can be great one year and completely ineffective the next.

Are you going to get the 25 goal Grabner or the 10 goal Grabner?

As well he was benched for a lot of the playoffs, when they needed his offense the most. Bit of a red flag.

Reactions: Aerrol and TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
How about some Jay Beagle?

I have a lot of time for Jay Beagle. How much is going to ask?

Grabner is a bit of an enigma to me. He has lots of talent and speed to burn... but he was invisible in New Jersey. What happened?

I'd still do a 3-4 year deal for him at a reasonable cap hit.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The thing with Grabner is he’s one of those weird players that it doesn’t really matter who he plays with he creates his offence alone mostly by chipping pucks to himself for breakaways and odd man rushes. He’s an extremely streaky player. He’s either going or he’s not. Playing him with McD or Drai I don’t really think it would make a huge difference to him.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'm hoping that we can find some bargains in free agency. No big fish hunting (overpaying 2+ mil for "ok" players).

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

RNH - McDavid - ______
Khaira - Strome - ______

Grabner has never been sheltered in his career. He has had negative zone starts for the last consecutive 7 seasons. He has faced 50+% CorsiF% QoC for 7 of the last 8 seasons and 50+% XGF% Q0C in 6 of the last 8 seasons.

He's also a premier penalty killer... over the course of his career he has an excellent -2.02 GA/60 on the PK. That's remarkably good considering the many teams he's been on... so it's not just one team influencing that stat to his benefit.

Reactions: Oilerfan93

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Grabner has never been sheltered in his career. He has had negative zone starts for the last consecutive 7 seasons. He has faced 50+% CorsiF% QoC for 7 of the last 8 seasons and 50+% XGF% Q0C in 6 of the last 8 seasons.

He's also a premier penalty killer... over the course of his career he has an excellent -2.02 GA/60 on the PK. That's remarkably good considering the many teams he's been on... so it's not just one team influencing that stat to his benefit.

Third and fourth liners generally get lousier zone starts. My point about him being sheltered has to do with who he's generally playing against, which would be checking line forwards, generally buried on third and fourth lines. And I'm all for adding great PKers, but $3m for a bottom six forward is far too much for us this summer. We have multiple roster holes to fill this summer and very little cap to get it done unless money is opened elsewhere. You can sign three players for the cost of one Grabner.

And honestly if this guy was a good as you are alluding to, the team that just traded some valuable assets for him at the trade deadline would be using some of their massive available cap space to re-sign him.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Third and fourth liners generally get lousier zone starts. My point about him being sheltered has to do with who he's generally playing against, which would be checking line forwards, generally buried on third and fourth lines. And I'm all for adding great PKers, but $3m for a bottom six forward is far too much for us this summer. We have multiple roster holes to fill this summer and very little cap to get it done unless money is opened elsewhere. You can sign three players for the cost of one Grabner.

And honestly if this guy was a good as you are alluding to, the team that just traded some valuable assets for him at the trade deadline would be using some of their massive available cap space to re-sign him.

He was invisible in New Jersey. No question about that. Before making an offer I'd like to watch a lot of tape and figure out what was going on there.

We don't have a ton of legit NHL wingers so even if he is a middle 6 RW/LW he'd be an improvement over what we've got. Move Lucic out and use that cap space to sign Grabner and another player.. we might have something.

Edit: We should also take a run at Beagle.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Oilers blew their wad on Koskinen.

I don't think they do much of anything unless they find a way to lose 2+M in a Lucic trade. I starting to think Lucic will just be back next season though.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Oilers blew their wad on Koskinen.

I don't think they do much of anything unless they find a way to lose 2+M in a Lucic trade. I starting to think Lucic will just be back next season though.

Koskinen deal is so upsetting.

Colorado managed to sign a significantly better KHL goaltender on a worse team (less help) for a season at just 690k.
We had to add almost 2 million on top for our guy. Who as mentioned has significantly lower stats vs Francourz.

I like taller goalies, I do. So I'm fine with Koskinen. But being 6'7 instead of 6'0 shouldn't be THAT much of a difference in cap.

Hopefully the staff did their scouting and this works out.

Edit: Not to mention the Oilers are in cap hell and the Avs are in cap heaven. We have the worst negotiater in the league.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Signing both is unaffordable unless we manage to dump Sekera or Russell (or the impossible dream Lucic).

I’m on board for Grabner. We desperately need the speed and PK acumen. Given how he skates, even if his offense falls off a cliff he should remain useful, unlike say Jokinen or Cammy.

Grabner for #3LW, slot JJ as 4th line C. Aberg, Rattie, Cooper Marody, Yamamoto fight it out for the other winger spots. Not great, but hopefully serviceable.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
not worth it.
edmonton just does't have the cap space.
to get the space, they'd have to get bent over in a trade.

either way, the oilers lose.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
not worth it.
edmonton just does't have the cap space.
to get the space, they'd have to get bent over in a trade.

either way, the oilers lose.
That's fair, don't worry everyone will be fired in the next 10 months.

As far as UFAs I have 4 guys I would bring in:

Matt Calvert - Coming off a very tough year, might be due a bounce back. Try to get him 1yr $950K
Jannik Hansen - Coming off a very very tough year, possibly might have some game left, especially if he can skate, Try 1yr $1.1M
Alex Chiasson - Might be helpful in the bottom-6, RH&RW, 1yr $750K
Greg Pateryn - RHD, might be able to add some depth, 2yr $1.5Mper

HM

Jakub Jerabek might be a guy who has something he can bring in the right situation for the Oilers
and
Derek Ryan, assuming Carolina doesn't re-sign him, I would look to bring him in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad