Salary Cap: UFAs and the Cap

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Hi gang,

How do you feel about going after Grabner and Green in the UFA market? UFAs are always expensive money wise but you're not coughing up assets.

Some salary has to move out of Edmonton, obviously. However I think Grabner (who can skate like the wind) could be a good pick up if the price is right. He is 30, can play RW or LW and had a Cap hit of $1.65 Million last year.

He had 36 points last season but was useless after he went to the devils. What do you all think is a decent contract for him on the Oilers?

Next: Mike Green, 32 years old coming off a big $6 million dollar a year contract. Steady 35+ points RHD performer. What do you think is a good contract for him?

Edit: I'd like to hear opinions before I go on the main trade boards and propose a deal. Knowing what we could sign and for how much impacts who we trade and for what.

Need to be careful, no major contracts except in goal becoming free next season. Real possibility we don't see any movement up in the cap due to Canadian economic troubles and trade wars.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I have always been a fan but he didn't want to sign with Edmonton. That is why they traded him for nothing.

The circumstances were very different. It was at a time when the Oilers seemed to be over loaded with skilled wingers and his camp felt he would have little opportunity to break into the NHL for several years.im.

Rieder and Leon have played very well together. I am sure that the opportunity to play with Leon would be very attractive to

Reactions: Bangers and lakai17

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
The circumstances were very different. It was at a time when the Oilers seemed to be over loaded with skilled wingers and his camp felt he would have little opportunity to break into the NHL for several years.im.

Rieder and Leon have played very well together. I am sure that the opportunity to play with Leon would be very attractive to

He wouldn't cost an arm or leg either which is most enticing.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
RNH - McDavid - ______
______ - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Khaira - Strome - ______
Caggiula - ______ - Kassian

This is giving me headaches trying to imagine what to do about this.
If worst comes to worst they will give Rattie a chance at the 1st line RW spot, Yama the 3rd line RW spot, they'll plunk Lucic on the 2nd or 3rd line LW spot and we'll still be left scrambling to find a 4th line C.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I dont know if upset is the right word. I just didnt think he was fa already.
Well I mean you were saying you could see it back-firing on the Oilers, I just don't see it. You're opinion, maybe upset wasn't the right word :laugh:

undertow

Sep 26, 2007
i would go after Reider. Davidson and Sustr. make Bear alittle hungrier for his spot on the team.

Captain Pilsner

Sep 1, 2005
Cheapest guys available with 30+ points might be Brodziak and Flippula, could maybe be had for around $2.5 mil?

Grabner might slot in around the same value as Vanek, Comeau, and Calvert. All closer to $3 mil-ish by my guess.

I would be good with any of these as insurance, because we are hoping (as usual) for way too many young guys to have a good season:
Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Khaira, Aberg, Cagguila, or possibly even Benson (WOW!)

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Why do so many of our fans always want to go for our re-treads?

Reider, Brodziak, Davidson, Laleggia, ???

seriously???

Move forward people. Move forward.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm glad we're so tight to the cap that we won't end up with another Lucic signing. Grabner and Green are going to be overpaid.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Didn't Green just have back surgery?

We need low end specialty players on the cheap that kill penalties and win faceoffs. Who cares about the points so much. I'd take Beagle as well.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Well gang, we were close on some of the budget signings. I think Chia did well this off season. He is good at little moves.

Reider and Brodziak were nice additions for very little money. I don't know much about Kevin Gravel. Depth signing on D I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad