#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
RFAs
Marner
Kapanen
Johnnson
Ozhiganov

I believe all of these guys will be re-signed.

UFAs
Ennis
Gardiner
Hainsey
Marincin
Hutchinson

Have we seen the last game as a Leaf for this group? I think of the 5 of them Ennis likely has the best chance of coming back. Hainsey may come back but I would put him on the bottom pairing.

Who do you think stays and walks?

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
RFA: all will resign except Oz

UFA: I'd bring back Ennis and Hutch and Hainsey on the right contract.

Hainsey has value if he is playing 3rd pairing minutes and Babs isn't his coach.

Ennis played well at times. 3rd line scoring winger for cheap ?

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Next years lineup without any UFAs returning:
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnnson - Matthews - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Nylander
Moore - Gauthier - Brown
Petan
(not much changes on forward)

Notable forward Marlies: Bracco, Engvall, Marchment, Brooks, Timashov

Rielly - X
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Rosen - Dermott
Holl

Notable defense Marlies: Borgman, Sandin, Liljegren

Anybody making the jump next season?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
RFAs
Marner
Kapanen
Johnnson
Ozhiganov

I believe all of these guys will be re-signed.

Can't happen unless more players are cut. Folks seem like they are having trouble digesting the numbers, so I will post this again.

Important relevant stats from CapFriendly re: Leafs cap 2019-20 cap situation

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Projected cap space: $4.5 m
Cap increase: $3.5 m
Horton LTIR: $5.3 m
TOTAL $13.3 m

RFA
& UFA are not signed and hence salaries are not included in the total team cap.

RFA: Marner, Kapanen, Ozhiganov, Johnsson
UFA: Gardiner, Hainsey, Hutchinson, Marincin, Ennis

If we sign Marner at $10 m AAV and Hainsey (or a Hainsey level defenseman replacement), the remaining cap space is gone. Players identified in blue font would be gone (subtracted) in this "scenario/example".

Conclusion - If we want to add additional players, more player cuts (in addition to those in blue font) will be needed. I guess that's why there is so many Nylander or Kadri (or both) trade proposal trades these days.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
RFAs
Marner -> Stays
Kapanen -> Stays
Johnnson -> Stays
Ozhiganov -> Gone

UFAs
Ennis -> Gone
Gardiner -> Stays if money can be moved out
Hainsey -> Stays if for cheap.
Marincin -> Gone
Hutchinson -> Gone

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
RFAs yes minus Ozhiganov. I doubt he returns.

Ennis - too much money.
Gardiner - too much money and too much risk
Hainsey - only for very little, probably can get more elsewhere
Marincin - off to Europ
Hutchinson - yes

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
RFA: all will resign except Oz

UFA: I'd bring back Ennis and Hutch and Hainsey on the right contract.

Hainsey has value if he is playing 3rd pairing minutes and Babs isn't his coach.

Ennis played well at times. 3rd line scoring winger for cheap ?

Not possible given cap. See post #4.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
A team whose players are paid based on how many points they get and how greedy they are will not be as successful as the same team whose players are paid equally. Win or lose, it's all on the stars, the GM and the coach....not the little guys.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Can't happen unless more players are cut. Folks seem like they are having trouble digesting the numbers, so I will post this again.

Important relevant stats from CapFriendly re: Leafs cap 2019-20 cap situation

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Projected cap space: $4.5 m
Cap increase: $3.5 m
Horton LTIR: $5.3 m
TOTAL $13.3 m

RFA
& UFA are not signed and hence salaries are not included in the total team cap.

RFA: Marner, Kapanen, Ozhiganov, Johnsson
UFA: Gardiner, Hainsey, Hutchinson, Marincin, Ennis

If we sign Marner at $10 m AAV and Hainsey (or a Hainsey level defenseman replacement), the remaining cap space is gone. Players identified in blue font would be gone (subtracted) in this "scenario/example".

Conclusion - If we want to add additional players, more player cuts (in addition to those in blue font) will be needed. I guess that's why there is so many Nylander or Kadri (or both) trade proposal trades these days.
Interesting, I'll admit I didn't even look at numbers. The best thing we could do, which seems nearly impossible, is get rid of Marleau's contract. The next one is Zaitsev, but the problem with that is he fills such a large positional need as our only right handed defenseman. Clearly Dubas and his team have some work to do.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'd expect Hainsey back.

Wouldn't surprise me if Dubas brought Marincin back in a depth / Marlies role either.

The rest of them, I would suspect, are gone.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Next years lineup without any UFAs returning:
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnnson - Matthews - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Nylander
Moore - Gauthier - Brown
Petan
(not much changes on forward)

Notable forward Marlies: Bracco, Engvall, Marchment, Brooks, Timashov

Rielly - X
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Rosen - Dermott
Holl

Notable defense Marlies: Borgman, Sandin, Liljegren

Anybody making the jump next season?

You expect the forward lines be the same with the raises to Matthews, Marner, Kap and AJ? Not possible. We are over the cap there. We also can not have such an expensive 3rd line. Dubas payed Nylander to be a 3rd liner? This is a mess.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Can't say what they'll do, but for me.

Marner - stays
Kapanen - traded
Johnsson - stays
Ozhiganov - goes back to the KHL or is moved

All the UFA's except for Hainsey possibly wouldn't be returning.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'd expect Hainsey back.

Wouldn't surprise me if Dubas brought Marincin back in a depth / Marlies role either.

The rest of them, I would suspect, are gone.

If Hainsey is resigned for about the same money as his current salary, and Marner is signed at around $10m, there isn't even enough cap to sign Marincin.

Unfortunately, all of the rest of current roster would have to be let go including:

RFAs - Kapanen, Ozhiganov, Johnsson
UFA: Gardiner, Hutchinson, Marincin, Ennis

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Can't say what they'll do, but for me.

Marner - stays
Kapanen - traded
Johnsson - stays
Ozhiganov - goes back to the KHL or is moved

All the UFA's except for Hainsey possibly wouldn't be returning.

There isn't enough cap to sign Johnsson if Marner signs at $10 m, and Hainsey (or replacement defender) resigns at his current cap hit.

Unfortunately, all of the rest of current roster would have to be let go including:

See post #4 for more details.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
There isn't enough cap to sign Johnsson if Marner signs at $10 m, and Hainsey (or replacement defender) resigns at his current cap hit.

See post #4 for more details.

How can you say that when we don't what's going to happen with Kadri, Nylander, Brown, Marleau or even Zaitsev?

Also what if they just bridge Marner like Tampa did with Kucherov?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I didn't say other people aren't going to leave. Nor did the OP. This is about who is going to get resigned or not.

OK. And I was focused on the "or not" part.

Unfortunately, we'll be able to sign a couple of our RFA/UFA players if we let about 7 of them go.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
How can you say that when we don't what's going to happen with Kadri, Nylander, Brown, Marleau or even Zaitsev?

Also what if they just bridge Marner like Tampa did with Kucherov?

I have stated in several posts that if we cut (trade) additional players such as Kadri or Nylander, then other players could be added including possibly more of our RFAs or UFAs.

Brown's salary won't help that much. Marleau & Zaitsev have been beaten to death. I'm less optimistic than some on getting rid of those guys without loosing other assets, but we can hope I guess.

Yes, we can bridge Marner. Kicking the can down the road might work, or might just create the same or larger problem down the road. That's the chance we take.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
@KeonHorton surely the expectation is that players will be traded away to make room for Johnsson and Kapanen

Its possible, and I have stated several times in other posts that trading away Nylander or Kadri could create some decent enough cap space to be able to do something.

If you are talking about Marleau, Zaitsev or Brown like a lot of folks do, well that has a different story that has been beaten to death. Those are/will:
  • Less likely scenarios
  • Result in the loss of additional assets
  • Not help much e.g., Brown's salary

Last edited:

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
I would love to see Ennis come back. Guy played his heart out every game and playing with Moore made our 4th line an actual threat sometimes, just need a more solid center.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We are going to need a few Marlies to make the jump into complimentary depth roles to say the least. Even then, I don't see how we can keep Nylander and Kadri unless the Marleau situation is dealt with somehow.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Agreed. Sort of a head scratcher as to why fans would want him to return. Is he special?

Isn't there like hundreds of others players who can be signed?
I like Ennis and have alot of respect for him. Was injury plagued and decided to come sign a one year deal for pennies so he could work with the leafs sports science group to get him right. He looks like he got his career back on track and dont be surprised if he signs a nice little deal with some other team and good for him. Bottom line he will cost to much and has too much skill as a player to be playing on the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad