GDT: UFA Watch central thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
They have names like Seguin/Benn/Klingberg/Radu/Bishop. But sure let's pretend they're like Montreal's roster just because they both missed playoffs 2/3 years. Players would be lining up to play with LTIR staples Price/Weber and ghost captain without the tax/weather.

So they have names big deal. In the last decade they made the playoffs twice. If a player is thinking about winning Dallas isn't to me a winning team. I mean JT wants to go there after the team missed the playoffs 2 years in a row? And I don't see who they knock out in their division to make the playoffs this year.

I think there is more at play in Dallas to attracting UFA then a winning team.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
So they have names big deal. In the last decade they made the playoffs twice. If a player is thinking about winning Dallas isn't to me a winning team. I mean JT wants to go there after the team missed the playoffs 2 years in a row? And I don't see who they knock out in their division to make the playoffs this year.

I think there is more at play in Dallas to attracting UFA then a winning team.

So you think JT goes to TO if they are the trash team post lockout? They haven't even won a playoff round in decade+. I think you're fooling yourself if you really think tax/weather is nothing more than minor factors. Roster makeup is huge IMO. Winning team means little unless there are stars accompanying them. No big name UFA signed in Nashville...they left them. Even Weber was ready to jump ship even though those Preds teams had great regular seasons.

Reactions: Bryson

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
So you think JT goes to TO if they are the trash team post lockout? They haven't even won a playoff round in decade+. I think you're fooling yourself if you really think tax/weather is nothing more than minor factors. Roster makeup is huge IMO. Winning team means little unless there are stars accompanying them. No big name UFA signed in Nashville...they left them. Even Weber was ready to jump ship even though those Preds teams had great regular seasons.

JT wouldn't have went there, like Stamkos. But I think for Montreal not only do they need to be winning the other factors are even greater. We had PK, we had Price, we had Max, we made an ECF and finished 2nd in the NHL and all we can come up with is a washed up Brier and a washed up Semin?

I could say the same that you are fooling yourself if you really think that tax/weather/language is nothing more than a minor factor.

A disaster team will have a harder time attracting UFA. A disaster team in a great city with low taxes will have it easier. A good team in a great city with low taxes will have it even easier. LA/NY/TOR will always be attractive because they are big name cities. Montreal isn't on that list. The name Montreal doesn't make people jump like people on this board think.

So even if the team is winning and doing great the hurdles of taxes, language, media and weather are still big enough barriers IMO to make Montreal one of the least desirable cities to play in. Look we aren't Buffalo or Edmonton here but regardless of the habs record we aren't in the top tier either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia