Dreger: UFA rights to be traded?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Watch the video . Ferraro says it would suck to develop a player into a star , and have them walk for nothing. That eliminates quite a few players. Like a Kadri. Avs didn’t develop him. Listening to them speak , it’s not about some average Joe or someone that has only been there a year or two.
To me sounds like Gaudreau or Forsberg but Friedman says talks with Forsberg are ongoing and he feels like him signing is close.
My guess is Johhny .
What I don’t get is Dredger says he gave a clue.WTF ? The 🔥?
Lol . Waaaaaaay too much speculation buts it’s fun and interesting .

He says something recording at “something 40”

That sounds like he is saying things are happening early. Calgary is 2 hrs behind him. Kinda makes sense to be them

Done

Sounds like Nuke from Colorado.

Colorado didn’t develop him.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Gaudreau sounds like he knows where he wants to be.

Reminds me of when Buffalo traded for Vesey's rights thinking they can convince him despite it being public knowledge he wanted to go to the rangers.

I'd be shocked if it was Gaudreau
Conversely Kadri wants to get paid and doesn't seem to have a preference on location. He changed agents this year and Ferris promptly tweeted that his client was going to UFA, and then Kadri himself also said "I've worked hard for this" and hinted numerous times that he wants to get paid. Basically whoever acquires his rights will sign him because they can outbid anyone else with the 8th year.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The earlier noise about Boston and Seattle both being able and willing to write a $8-10m check for Kadri suggests that one of them may make a move for his rights.

At that sort of AAV it probably makes sense to acquire him to get an 8th year to push the AAV down and also to beat another teams overall package.

For example, $8mx8 ($64m) is more than $9mx7 ($63m), and also keeps the AAV down by $1m which could be important for a team like Boston who want to be competitive in the next couple of years.

Only Colorado is eligible to sign him for 8 years.

And a team actually signing a soon-to-be UFA for the purpose of trading him to another team is unprecedented.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
As Dreger ages, for some reason he reminds me more and more of Martin Sheen.

Ferraro sure seemed like it's Gaudreau. "It's gotta be deflating to a team...you've got a free agent coming up...that you've developed and you've seen this player turn into a star. You've made your best offer, your owner says that's it, your cap says that's it. And you're like 'thats it, we're gonna lose him.' "
There is NO excuse though. Every single GM knows that it's a risk when the player has 1 year left on his contract. You draw your line in the sand LAST SUMMER not right now... Lol

You do your best to keep the player last summer and at worse (but not ideal) right up until the TDL but if that star player is not extended you have to expect him to walk away so you turn around and get what you can for him... playoff run or not. (that's why it's better to do it in the summer)

You lost a star player and got nothing in return? That's just bad management.

As far as Gaudreau goes, it's been W I D E L Y speculated that he wants to play for Philly at some point, chuck fletcher or no chuck fletcher... everyone that truly follows the league knows that. So if the Flames didn't lock him up or trade him, they only have themselves to blame. Have none of these managers learned anything from the Tavares situation???

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Only Colorado is eligible to sign him for 8 years.

And a team actually signing a soon-to-be UFA for the purpose of trading him to another team is unprecedented.

You're right, Colorado are the only team eligible to sign him for 8 years, because they own his rights. But if they trade those rights to another team that other team could sign him for 8 years too as they'd now own his rights. This is the whole point of trading player rights.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Manhattan

Dec 23, 2013
Stockholm
The earlier noise about Boston and Seattle both being able and willing to write a $8-10m check for Kadri suggests that one of them may make a move for his rights.

At that sort of AAV it probably makes sense to acquire him to get an 8th year to push the AAV down and also to beat another teams overall package.

For example, $8mx8 ($64m) is more than $9mx7 ($63m), and also keeps the AAV down by $1m which could be important for a team like Boston who want to be competitive in the next couple of years.
Pretty sure you have to aquire the player pre (/or at) trade deadline to be able to sign for 8 years.

As a player planning for a long career I’m sure they vet on themselves to get more than 1mill for another year.

And while We’re at it they usually prefer to get more money the First yesrs of the contract.

Playing another season ”for free” isn’t motivating for most, and just another year for the current team with a vad cap hit that most like makes the team less of a contender.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yes? He improved but he wasn’t a player that spent years in their development system

Toronto has tons of skills coaches etc but ther didn’t “develop” mikehev or bunting.

You can easily say colorado developed Valeri

Dude was bought out, they wanted nothing to do with him in Dallas. He wasnt valued around the league

colorado developed his game into what it is now.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
You're right, Colorado are the only team eligible to sign him for 8 years, because they own his rights. But if they trade those rights to another team that other team could sign him for 8 years too as they'd now own his rights. This is the whole point of trading player rights.

A player in Kadri’s situation has to be a team’s reserve list as of the most recent trade deadline to be eligible.

For an 8th year, realistically, it’s in Colorado or bust.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

Can’t offer him the 8th year.
I thought you still could too bjt apparently that had changed . Player has to have been on your roster on a certain date . Cutoff was long ago , cannot hain the ability to offer the 8th year anymore.
Someone way smarter than me (not hard to do) can give details and exact info , but I just no that whatever team trwdif for rights as of now , cannot offer the 8th year.

Edit ** see post above mine . I thougnt the same thing as you. Trade for rights and gain the ability to offer 8th year …… nope.
Only advantage I can see is you prove your interest in said player and get a little bit of a leg up / more time to negotiate . Can plan the rest of your moves before the draft (if for example NJ traded for Gaudreaus rights) , they could make their offer , and have a handshake deal in place … or Johnny can tell them to piss off , he is signing in Philly ). At least said team knows they are either in or out on a player they have interest in and can go with plan B ASAP. Another example - Johnny says he will sign in NJ for X amount . Devils then know they can go ahead and trade for Tkachuck at the draft and afford him as well….
Im kidding about last part . Just messing with Flames fans.

If I was a flames fan , I’m not sure how I’d fell if Johnny did walk. I’m not sayig it will happen , just if it did… I feel bad for Flames fans. I wouldnf be choked at Johnny , but rather Flames management . They should hace extended him earlier . However, Johnny (and the team) just came off a shitty year and his production was not too great. It would have been hard to commit huge $$$ at the time the Flames window to extend him opened.

Last edited:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Could be Mikheyev. I thought Ferraro was generalizing when saying it must suck for a team to lose a star if they get handicapped by the cap or a stingy owner.

Mikheyev is already rumored to be available to be traded prior to free agency.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I do think he's talking about Johnny. Like three minutes before this clip they're just flat out talking about whether you'd trade his rights if you can't sign him if you're Calgary. He's also one of the few where it really makes sense to trade for him ahead of July 13th.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I do think he's talking about Johnny. Like three minutes before this clip they're just flat out talking about whether you'd trade his rights if you can't sign him if you're Calgary. He's also one of the few where it really makes sense to trade for him ahead of July 13th.

I don’t see why it’d make sense to trade for him. Even if you trade for his rights you can’t give him an 8th year. If he’s not signing for an 8th year in Calgary he’s going to be a UFA. Just talk to him then

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

I can’t Boston being able to afford that unless Bergeron is taking a VERY team friendly deal to win a Cup. Which if anyone would, it’s probably him

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
A player in Kadri’s situation has to be a team’s reserve list as of the most recent trade deadline to be eligible.

For an 8th year, realistically, it’s in Colorado or bust.

Can’t offer him the 8th year.
I thought you still could too bjt apparently that had changed . Player has to have been on your roster on a certain date . Cutoff was long ago , cannot hain the ability to offer the 8th year anymore.
Someone way smarter than me (not hard to do) can give details and exact info , but I just no that whatever team trwdif for rights as of now , cannot offer the 8th year.

Edit ** see post above mine . I thougnt the same thing as you. Trade for rights and gain the ability to offer 8th year …… nope.
Only advantage I can see is you prove your interest in said player and get a little bit of a leg up / more time to negotiate . Can plan the rest of your moves before the draft (if for example NJ traded for Gaudreaus rights) , they could make their offer , and have a handshake deal in place … or Johnny can tell them to piss off , he is signing in Philly ). At least said team knows they are either in or out on a player they have interest in and can go with plan B ASAP. Another example - Johnny says he will sign in NJ for X amount . Devils then know they can go ahead and trade for Tkachuck at the draft and afford him as well….
Im kidding about last part . Just messing with Flames fans.

If I was a flames fan , I’m not sure how I’d fell if Johnny did walk. I’m not sayig it will happen , just if it did… I feel bad for Flames fans. I wouldnf be choked at Johnny , but rather Flames management . They should hace extended him earlier . However, Johnny (and the team) just came off a shitty year and his production was not too great. It would have been hard to commit huge $$$ at the time the Flames window to extend him opened.
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't realise that the rule had changed.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I don’t see why it’d make sense to trade for him. Even if you trade for his rights you can’t give him an 8th year. If he’s not signing for an 8th year in Calgary he’s going to be a UFA. Just talk to him then
Only reason I can think of is to show him how serious and interested in him you are . Plus maybe to be able to plan the rest of your off-season gameplan and actions at the draft if you can make a handshake deal that the player will sign with you .
If you are a GM and want a player bad enough , and you think that player has possible interest in your team , but may also be interested in other team(s) , trading for his rights shows you are commited to trying to sign him?
Example - Devils trade the Flames a 4 round pick for Johnny’s rights (not sure about value , just an arbitrary asset) Devils want to have a slight advantage over Philly by showing they mean business …..

In this specific example I dont think it means Jack shit as im pretty sure Johnny has his mind made up , but you catch my drift.

Last edited:

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

This is incorrect, they had to be on your team at the tradedeadline.

Edit:
Saw someone else already saw this

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

I thought they needed to be on the roster by the TDL to sign for 8 years. So only the Avs can sign Kadri to 8 years. Their rights are just for extra negotiation time. I could be misunderstanding though. A sign and trade should be possible though.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I thought they needed to be on the roster by the TDL to sign for 8 years. So only the Avs can sign Kadri to 8 years. Their rights are just for extra negotiation time. I could be misunderstanding though. A sign and trade should be possible though.
My understanding is that's the only reason you'd bother trading for the rights. There's no conditional picks based on the player signing anymore.

The whole skirmish between Holland and Dubas last year had to do with the eighth year on Hyman's deal.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
My understanding is that's the only reason you'd bother trading for the rights. There's no conditional picks based on the player signing anymore.

The whole skirmish between Holland and Dubas last year had to do with the eighth year on Hyman's deal.
Yeah I think that's correct. I meant that the Avs *could* feasibly sign him to 8 years and immediately trade him, but that seems preposterous.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00