Dreger: UFA rights to be traded?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He says something recording at “something 40”

That sounds like he is saying things are happening early. Calgary is 2 hrs behind him. Kinda makes sense to be them

Colorado didn’t develop him.
:laugh: Who did then? It certainly wasn't Dallas.

He came to Colorado basically as his last chance before being out of the NHL for good, and 3 years later he's a Top line forward scoring the most goals in the Cup final of anybody on either team, and a Stanley Cup winner. That certainly sounds like Colorado who did the developing.

Anyway, I dont think this is Nichushkin or Kadri. Dreger is well known as being pretty clueless when it comes to Colorado things, he doesn't have a source with our team at all. Unless he's getting this info from a team trading for Kadri's rights or something like that.

To me, it really sounds like Gaudreau.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You can easily say colorado developed Valeri

Dude was bought out, they wanted nothing to do with him in Dallas. He wasnt valued around the league

colorado developed his game into what it is now.

Sure. You could argue whatever you want. You are just using a term in a way that no hockey player has used it.

But this isn’t a skills Coach taking credit for a player. This is a person taking about a team “developing a player” and watching him walk away as a ufa.

That doesn’t sound like a 25 year old who came as a first round pick and won you a cup. It sounds like a drafted and developed player who came up through the ranks

:laugh: Who did then? It certainly wasn't Dallas.

He came to Colorado basically as his last chance before being out of the NHL for good, and 3 years later he's a Top line forward scoring the most goals in the Cup final of anybody on either team, and a Stanley Cup winner. That certainly sounds like Colorado who did the developing.

Anyway, I dont think this is Nichushkin or Kadri. Dreger is well known as being pretty clueless when it comes to Colorado things, he doesn't have a source with our team at all. Unless he's getting this info from a team trading for Kadri's rights or something like that.

To me, it really sounds like Gaudreau.

????? He was a 25 year old first round pick who had all the talent in the world who put it together.

Every time a player breaks out on a new team I’m sure the new team had a hand in it. But it’s getnally not referred to as development in the way ray is talking.

That’s generally draft. Minors rookie camps etc.
Not here 25 year old top 10 pick. I will let you play with stars.

Reactions: MakoSlade
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don’t see why it’d make sense to trade for him. Even if you trade for his rights you can’t give him an 8th year. If he’s not signing for an 8th year in Calgary he’s going to be a UFA. Just talk to him then
Maybe it would be a sign and trade, where essentially they're trading his rights while technically not, or yeah maybe it's someone else, I dunno.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
There is NO excuse though. Every single GM knows that it's a risk when the player has 1 year left on his contract. You draw your line in the sand LAST SUMMER not right now... Lol

You do your best to keep the player last summer and at worse (but not ideal) right up until the TDL but if that star player is not extended you have to expect him to walk away so you turn around and get what you can for him... playoff run or not. (that's why it's better to do it in the summer)

You lost a star player and got nothing in return? That's just bad management.

As far as Gaudreau goes, it's been W I D E L Y speculated that he wants to play for Philly at some point, chuck fletcher or no chuck fletcher... everyone that truly follows the league knows that. So if the Flames didn't lock him up or trade him, they only have themselves to blame. Have none of these managers learned anything from the Tavares situation???

I think Treliving thought he'd take the old "hometown discount" to stay in Calgary. Tat said, in the other Gaudreau thread, I posted an article from 2017 where he said he'd someday like to play for his hometown team. To be fair though, the Flames had a really good season with no injuries to any key players. Lots of analysts predicted them to make a long playoff run. How do you trade a cornerstone player like that away at the deadline? It's really a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for the GM.

Being an Oilers fan, I've been watching this situation unfold. Every day the 13th draws nearer without a Gaudreau extension announcement, is another nail in the coffin in my opinion. Now they could strike an 11th hour deal but I really think he may want to try free agency. He could always re-up with Calgary.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I'm pretty sure we are going to have some rights dealt by weekend.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
The earlier noise about Boston and Seattle both being able and willing to write a $8-10m check for Kadri suggests that one of them may make a move for his rights.

At that sort of AAV it probably makes sense to acquire him to get an 8th year to push the AAV down and also to beat another teams overall package.

For example, $8mx8 ($64m) is more than $9mx7 ($63m), and also keeps the AAV down by $1m which could be important for a team like Boston who want to be competitive in the next couple of years.
Any team paying that much for Kadri is going to regret it as soon as the ink is dry in my opinion.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Why give either of them for his rights
i haven't seen yet any good reason to trade for ufa rights.

if i am an owner and my gm trades anything of positive value for ufa rights i would immediately fire him.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah I think that's correct. I meant that the Avs *could* feasibly sign him to 8 years and immediately trade him, but that seems preposterous.
At first glance yeah that would be kinda crazy. But it would actually make some sense.

Colorado doing a sign-and-trade at 8 years would allow another team to get Kadri at a lower AAV, like say $8m x 8 years ($64m) instead of $9m x 7 years ($63m). If it's a contender with a closing window that extra $1m in capspace for 7-8 year could be pretty valuable. Obviously Colorado would need to be compensated for doing that. What is $1m in capspace worth over 7-8 years, also bearing in mind that Colorado would lose him for nothing within days? Maybe a 3rd round pick?

Obviously from Kadri's perspective he gets an extra $1m for the 8th year which he likely wouldn't earn point otherwise when he'd be 39/40 years old, so there's incentive there as well.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
At first glance yeah that would be kinda crazy. But it would actually make some sense.

Colorado doing a sign-and-trade at 8 years would allow another team to get Kadri at a lower AAV, like say $8m x 8 years ($64m) instead of $9m x 7 years ($63m). If it's a contender with a closing window that extra $1m in capspace for 7-8 year could be pretty valuable. Obviously Colorado would need to be compensated for doing that. What is $1m in capspace worth over 7-8 years, also bearing in mind that Colorado would lose him for nothing within days? Maybe a 3rd round pick?

Obviously from Kadri's perspective he gets an extra $1m for the 8th year which he likely wouldn't earn point otherwise when he'd be 39/40 years old, so there's incentive there as well.
It does potentially make some sense, but NHL GM’s are pretty old school in their approach so I doubt we see it. I’m also assuming there’s no rule I’m unaware of that rules this out. “Player X after signing must be on the roster for X period of time.”

It also has a lot of moving parts. Kadri would have to agree to a deal and to a team. Avs would then have to taylor a contract to that particular teams wishes. Then what about a movement clause. How does that get figured out and how does it play out over the remainder of the contract? Also, if a team is in the west, does Colorado want to help a potential nemesis keep AAV down? Would another team want to give a potentially higher end asset back to Colorado over potentially just signing him anyway?

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard88

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
i haven't seen yet any good reason to trade for ufa rights.

if i am an owner and my gm trades anything of positive value for ufa rights i would immediately fire him.
Wouldn’t the team trading for the rights have the ability to sign them to an 8 year deal opposed to 7? I wouldn’t give up much more than a 4th rounder though.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Wouldn’t the team trading for the rights have the ability to sign them to an 8 year deal opposed to 7? I wouldn’t give up much more than a 4th rounder though.
It mainly gives the player's agent the upper hand in negotiations.

Reactions: FooteBahl

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Avs have probably the least amount of picks in the league right now and a ton of guys that are about to walk out of the door.

I'd deal the rights to Kadri, Kuemper, Manson or Burakovksy in a heartbeat right now (once Sakic has made sure that they won't be back of course).
Even Nuke if it has to happen.
As a leaf fan I'd pay a 3rd + Mikheyevs rights for nukes rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad