UFA Results - Forwards and Defencemen

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Anaheim's missed offers have been considered, and the Ducks have been added to the second round of bidding for Adams, Metropolit and Grier, and they have also signed three free agents (Mike Brennan, Sergei Kolosau and Kevin Regan).

It should be noted that, for some reason or another, I failed to discover that Kolasau and Regan are both already on other teams' prospect lists. Apologies for the mix-up!

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I thought he wuold be eligible becasue he signed a north american contract and already completed one year in the AHL?

As of 2006-07, a European-born player can be signed as a free agent if he is over 22 years of age, is not in the NCAA, and has either had previous NHL experience (left and is coming back) or has played his first North American (not including exhibition games, training camp, etc.) game.

Thuresson is born in 1987 and is still 20 years old for a few months. He was playing in Europe in his first draft year, so he keeps his status as a european player even if he has come over to the AHL. Therefore he's still egliable for the draft next summer and is not a free agent.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Thuresson is born in 1987 and is still 20 years old for a few months. He was playing in Europe in his first draft year, so he keeps his status as a european player even if he has come over to the AHL. Therefore he's still egliable for the draft next summer and is not a free agent.

Personally, I see Thuresson in a bit of a state of limbo. As an 87 Euro, he was eligible for the HFNHL entry draft this year, but went undrafted. However, next year's HFNHL entry draft will not cover 5 years of Euro eligibility. We are switching our rules to the NHL draft eligibility, which is 4 years for Euro's. So next year's HFNHL entry draft will span birth years 1988-1991 for European players. Making Thuresson ineligible.

However, with the free agency rules outlined, it appears that Thuresson may not be eligible there either. But in saying that, I had actually been close to offering Thuresson a contract myself this FA period, with the belief he was a UFA. I ultimately decided against it because of concerns over roster limit.

But If I were to ultimately make a decision, I would say that the Thuresson signing stands.

Default101

Where were all these teams when I was trying to trade the Zigomonster this season?? :p:

i wasnt aware he was on the block, but not sure i would have payed that much for him, i wasnt intrested in him for more than what i offered him ont he offseason i actually thought someone out there would take a stab at him for just under 1M.

Default101

I'm Fine with whatever decision the league makes on Thuresson, i was under the impression that he is eligible because he played in North America for one full season, he is a 1987 birthdate. Ont he other hand he is european born and was drafted by the NHL as a european, so either way i understand and accept whatever the league wants to do

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Personally, I see Thuresson in a bit of a state of limbo. As an 87 Euro, he was eligible for the HFNHL entry draft this year, but went undrafted. However, next year's HFNHL entry draft will not cover 5 years of Euro eligibility. We are switching our rules to the NHL draft eligibility, which is 4 years for Euro's. So next year's HFNHL entry draft will span birth years 1988-1991 for European players. Making Thuresson ineligible.

However, with the free agency rules outlined, it appears that Thuresson may not be eligible there either. But in saying that, I had actually been close to offering Thuresson a contract myself this FA period, with the belief he was a UFA. I ultimately decided against it because of concerns over roster limit.

But If I were to ultimately make a decision, I would say that the Thuresson signing stands.

If the HFNHL draft rules are changed there will be a gap unlesss we are also going to start Euro free agency one year earlier than the NHL. This is one of the reasons the HFNHL draft ages are (or were) what they are ... to close the gap.
As of now you have to be 22 so the Thuresson should be voided IMO as other GM's following the instructions as stated would not have made an offer.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
If the HFNHL draft rules are changed there will be a gap unlesss we are also going to start Euro free agency one year earlier than the NHL. This is one of the reasons the HFNHL draft ages are (or were) what they are ... to close the gap.
As of now you have to be 22 so the Thuresson should be voided IMO as other GM's following the instructions as stated would not have made an offer.

I'm slightly confused, to be honest. Does that mean that the NHL has a gap than for European players? So with a player born in 1987 (like Thuresson), and who went undrafted in 2008, NHL team would have to wait until next year to sign him. Meaning no European players born in 1987 can sign an NHL free agent deal until 2009?

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
I'm slightly confused, to be honest. Does that mean that the NHL has a gap than for European players? So with a player born in 1987 (like Thuresson), and who went undrafted in 2008, NHL team would have to wait until next year to sign him. Meaning no European players born in 1987 can sign an NHL free agent deal until 2009?

We're not sure as no one has ever provided a direct link to the NHL draft rules all we've heard is based on some HF poster I'm not familiar with.

We had found the ones on FA signings after the lockout though. I don't remember them exactly (the Admin team discussion threads at the time would have the details) but it was something like you can't sign a player until the year he turns 22 and some other eligibility considerations. In short it was tough to administer or even communicate so we simplified it for the HFNHL by basing it on the players age as of 09/15 of that year and by default allowed a player to be drafted in June prior to free agency (same as with 20yo NA players). In other words we kept the age eligibility and calculation approach (ie as of 9/15) the same for Euros and NA's just 2 years difference.

If you think keeping eligibility considerations is complex now then read the NHL rules and see how much more fun and open to interpretation it could be ;)

PasiK

Jun 11, 2007
Paimio, Finland
"When submitting your second offer, be sure to mention if there is any re-signing loyalty the player would have towards your team."

what does this mean :sarcasm: Not a simple offer is enough in the 2nd round :help:

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
"When submitting your second offer, be sure to mention if there is any re-signing loyalty the player would have towards your team."

what does this mean :sarcasm: Not a simple offer is enough in the 2nd round :help:

This means that, all other things being equal, a player will lean toward re-signing with his current team, or perhaps a team that he played a lot of years with.

For example, if Wayne Gretzky was a UFA, and he had played 10 seasons for the Ducks (drool) before I traded him at the deadline, I might be given a slight edge in re-signing him as a UFA. Make sense?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

In addition to Matt's point, there are also situations where a team made an offer to a pending UFA before free agency, who turned it down, but if all offers are equal on the open market (or even close) they will choose to remain with their current team for similar money. There is some discretion here from the agents, but typically if a loyal player gets an offer from his previous team within 20% of the top offer, they will consider staying if loyalty is very strong. Within 10%, they will typically stay, unless of course their tenure was very short with their current team (i.e. trade deadline acquisition). For players rights acquired at the end of the season, there is no loyalty.

PasiK

Jun 11, 2007
Paimio, Finland
In addition to Matt's point, there are also situations where a team made an offer to a pending UFA before free agency, who turned it down, but if all offers are equal on the open market (or even close) they will choose to remain with their current team for similar money. There is some discretion here from the agents, but typically if a loyal player gets an offer from his previous team within 20% of the top offer, they will consider staying if loyalty is very strong. Within 10%, they will typically stay, unless of course their tenure was very short with their current team (i.e. trade deadline acquisition). For players rights acquired at the end of the season, there is no loyalty.

Thanks .. all clear now

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007

Further to my other response here is an old HF article form 2006 on the then "new" CBA. It covers many subjects related to impacts on European players including the signing at age 22 and does actually show that draft eligibility ends at 21.

So in short yes there is a gap in the NHL. We decided at that time (mainly for Reggie's sake) not to have another Jan 1st free agency frenzy for Euro players turning 22 that year and decided to keep things simple and wait until the July 1st period.

Quote:
The new CBA does require NHL teams to wait until the year a player turns 22 to sign him as a free agent. Thus, any undrafted European born Dec. 31, 1984, or earlier, is eligible to be signed as a free agent this year. An undrafted European player born after Jan. 1, 1985, will have to wait until 2007.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/8749/european_drafting_at_a_crossroads/

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
shouldn't it be a one year deal since this is (most likely, haven't checked) mcintyre's first hfnhl contract?

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
it did apply to my signing of mottau last season, although the agent and me found that out AFTER the 2 year contract i offered was agreed to

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Tony,

There was a misunderstanding at that time regarding the length of the contract. The general rule is that you can offer a player 4 year deal if he is 25 or over. However, an agent has full right to seek a shorter term deal if he feels that his client has a potential to make much more after one season in the NHL.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Tony,

There was a misunderstanding at that time regarding the length of the contract. The general rule is that you can offer a player 4 year deal if he is 25 or over. However, an agent has full right to seek a shorter term deal if he feels that his client has a potential to make much more after one season in the NHL.

ok. maybe that should be added to the rulebook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad