Speculation: UFA Options July 1

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Lucic said he wants to go to a cup contending team. He's not coming here.

NEWS1130Sports: Lucic : "If I go to another team, going to a team that can win a Stanley Cup, that's important for me. " #Canucks
https://twitter.com/news1130sports/status/740243572927135744

NEWS1130Sports: Lucic : "Not much talk with the Kings the last 2 months, I would love to remain a King but I also have to get ready for July 1st." #Canucks
https://twitter.com/news1130sports/status/740242366443950080

NEWS1130Sports: Lucic on what he looks for in a team : "It's not all about the money, you want to be at a place where you have fun at the rink." #Canucks
https://twitter.com/news1130sports/status/740242568999493632

NEWS1130Sports: Lucic : " Winning is a big thing for me, I have not won the Cup since 2011, once you get that taste, you want to re-live it." #Canucks
https://twitter.com/news1130sports/status/740242654391341058

NEWS1130Sports: Lucic says it's important for him to go to a team that has the potential to be a championship team. #Canucks
https://twitter.com/news1130sports/status/740243124509933568
but then he does say he would hear what the Canucks have to say.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I'm not sure many cup contenders really want to be handing out 6 or 7 years to Milan....if he wants a cup contender he's gonna have to look at a 4 or 5 year deal.

If he wants money and term I'm sure he can get it from Benning or another dumb GM.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'm for improving the organization as a whole. Sometimes that means not taking the "upgrade" that is on the market for free. Does a Lucic or Eriksson make the team better than last year? Sure they likely do but I'm not convinced they do 2 or 3 years into their contracts. Which is the issue to me. I don't want to see big term and big money free agents UNLESS they are true core pieces moving forward. I consider a Lucic, Eriksson, or Brouwer to be complimentary pieces and the team is not in a place to add those types of pieces for big money and term.

Stamkos is likely the exception. A 26 year old with a career 45 goal, 80 point pace is actually foundational. If you think he can get back to the levels he was at. I also think it means you need to play him at center given that is what he prefers to play (part of why he may have issues signing in TB is they seemingly want him to be a winger). So that means moving one of your other top 3 centers (sutter, Horvat). Hard to move Sutter with the contract and NTC. Asinine to move Horvat. So that's exactly what I expect....Sign Stamkos to huge money and term. Move Horvat for some underwhelming offer which "was the best we could do. There just wasn't much interest in the player."

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
I'm for improving the organization as a whole. Sometimes that means not taking the "upgrade" that is on the market for free. Does a Lucic or Eriksson make the team better than last year? Sure they likely do but I'm not convinced they do 2 or 3 years into their contracts. Which is the issue to me. I don't want to see big term and big money free agents UNLESS they are true core pieces moving forward. I consider a Lucic, Eriksson, or Brouwer to be complimentary pieces and the team is not in a place to add those types of pieces for big money and term.

Stamkos is likely the exception. A 26 year old with a career 45 goal, 80 point pace is actually foundational. If you think he can get back to the levels he was at. I also think it means you need to play him at center given that is what he prefers to play (part of why he may have issues signing in TB is they seemingly want him to be a winger). So that means moving one of your other top 3 centers (sutter, Horvat). Hard to move Sutter with the contract and NTC. Asinine to move Horvat. So that's exactly what I expect....Sign Stamkos to huge money and term. Move Horvat for some underwhelming offer which "was the best we could do. There just wasn't much interest in the player."

No need to move Sutter or Horvat.

Sutter - Stamkos - Eriksson
Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
This is my depth chart for next year as of now:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - ________
________ - Sutter - Burrows
Higgins - Granlund - Dorsett
Etem

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Sbisa - Tryamkin
Pedan - Biega

Miller
Markstrom

Italics: RFA's to be re-signed

Basically, I'd like Benning to target a young-ish top 6 RW that can either slot in beside Horvat or Hank (and move Hansen down with Horvat) and Okposo fits that bill perfectly. Then there's an empty 3rd line LW spot that either players in the organization can battle in camp for, or can be filled by another UFA depth player. A McGinn type player would be perfect but he'll probably cost too much.

It would also be great to add another defenseman but Benning would have to trade one as we've got too many who require waivers as it is. It would also be ideal if we didn't have those Higgins and Dorsett contracts. Those two spots could go to players in the system, kind of like how the likes of Sheary, Rust and Kuhnhackl occupy 3 spots on the Penguins.

Lastly, I think it would be smart to let Virtanen start the season in the AHL. He won't like it, but it would be good for him to develop his offense in a big role for the Comets. If the Canucks can clear a roster spot as the season progresses, then definitely bring him back up for a 2nd go.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
No need to move Sutter or Horvat.

Sutter - Stamkos - Eriksson
Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Sutter isn't going to be worth the money on the wing either. Having a north-south winger who can't use line mates seems like a pretty bad match for a sniper center.

Also not sure how you sign both Stamkos and Eriksson. That'll likely be in the $15 mil range and they have $9.5 mil in space...$11.5 mil if the players take the 5% increase and Friedman is correct. In order to make two signings like that they will have to also cut a few million from somewhere else. Oh I know the answer will be buy out Burrows and Higgins but do so and all of a sudden the 17/18 season the canucks have $58 mil committed in salary to 12 players. With the cap flattening out the last little bit you aren't giving yourself much wiggle room say $15 mil or so....but you have to sign Horvat, Hutton, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Markstrom and another goaltender (and tag in Baertschi's contract he'll get this summer). That $15 mil isn't going to get it done.

Last edited:

tjmac22

Aug 6, 2014
I would really love to see van get Okposo if not then Eriksson would be my end option and I would like to see jamie Mcginn on our 3rd line with Sutter and Rodin I would kind of like to see Weircoch signed on D and trade away Sbisa and we'd have to move another Dman (preferably biega) either buy out or trade burrs and higgy and send someone else down

Sedin Sedin Okposo/Eriksson
Baerstchi Horvat Hansen
Mcginn Sutter Rodin
Gaunce/Etem Granlund Dorsett/Virtanen

Edler Tanev
Hutton Gudbranson
Weircoch Tryamkin
Pedan Larsen Biega

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I'm baffled why people want Okposo so bad and usually in the same breath loath at the fact of Lucic.

One player has better stats, while being drafted in the same year:

-More career goals
-More career assists
-More career points
-More reliable and less injury prone
-Bigger, taller and weight
-Has a career high goal total of 30g (compared to career high of 27g)
-One of the meanest power forwards in the NHL
-Local kid

I'll let the guys who prefer Okposo decide who that above players stats belong to.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
most of that is completely meaningless. who the **** actually cares where lucic is from? lol

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Signing 2 UFAs is IMHO a pipe dream. Prices are always too high.

I think they have 61.5m committed. If the cap is going to be 73.5m, then that's 11 million in cap space (leaving 1m~ in room). With Eriksson at about 6m, it would leave 5m + what they do with Burrows and Higgins + a potential Hansen trade = Enough to get Lucic with the remainder.

2 FAs is definitely possible. I'd say even probable, if they are intent on dealing Hansen for futures.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think they have 61.5m committed. If the cap is going to be 73.5m, then that's 11 million in cap space (leaving 1m~ in room). With Eriksson at about 6m, it would leave 5m + what they do with Burrows and Higgins + a potential Hansen trade = Enough to get Lucic with the remainder.

2 FAs is definitely possible. I'd say even probable, if they are intent on dealing Hansen for futures.

Two high-end guys though, doesn't seem very probable.

You also have to look beyond just this season. Any UFA contract is going to consist of significant term...which impacts future cap situations as well.

They're going to need room to extend key young pieces over the next couple years...two big ticket UFAs impinges on their ability to do that.

One big ticket guy, and one lesser light seems very plausible. Or...if Higgins and Burrows are both bought out or somehow dumped...that opens up some different possibilities.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Stay away from Lucic.

Okposo won't be heading west.

The guy I want is Louis Eriksson. I think the potential exists that he will sign a semi-reasonable contract, his hockey sense is fantastic, plays well with the Sedins.

Bring him unto me!!

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Two high-end guys though, doesn't seem very probable.

You also have to look beyond just this season. Any UFA contract is going to consist of significant term...which impacts future cap situations as well.

They're going to need room to extend key young pieces over the next couple years...two big ticket UFAs impinges on their ability to do that.

In this specific case, those two "high end" guys have multiple VAN ties. They were rumoured to have a connection here months ago. For multiple additions, it's Lucic and Eriksson, not any other combination.

Beyond next season, only Edler, Tanev, Dorsett and Sutter are signed. The room will be there. The Sedins will just have to take small pay cuts to make it work.

One big ticket guy, and one lesser light seems very plausible. Or...if Higgins and Burrows are both bought out or somehow dumped...that opens up some different possibilities.

Higgins and Burrows combine for 7m in salary. Absolutely, if something significant happens to their salary, then more significant possibilities open up as a result. That's why I have "Hansen + what happens to Burrows and Higgins" as swing factors in the amount of space opened up.

In the end, adding Lucic and Eriksson represent the quickest way for this team to turn things around while offering the least risk (known assets) to this management team. They are the exact targets this management team would be targeting, at the exact time they need them.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
In this specific case, those two "high end" guys have multiple VAN ties. They were rumoured to have a connection here months ago. For multiple additions, it's Lucic and Eriksson, not any other combination.

Beyond next season, only Edler, Tanev, Dorsett and Sutter are signed. The room will be there. The Sedins will just have to take small pay cuts to make it work.

Higgins and Burrows combine for 7m in salary. Absolutely, if something significant happens to their salary, then more significant possibilities open up as a result. That's why I have "Hansen + what happens to Burrows and Higgins" as swing factors in the amount of space opened up.

In the end, adding Lucic and Eriksson represent the quickest way for this team to turn things around while offering the least risk (known assets) to this management team. They are the exact targets this management team would be targeting, at the exact time they need them.

The Sedins still have 2 years left though. As does Sbisa. :laugh:

But that's kinda the point...There aren't many fixed cost contracts extended through the later years of any UFA contract.

The first year is nbd. But the 2017-18 season could be a doozy. They've got to sign some starting goaltender (whether it's Marky or a Miller-esque UFA). They've got Gudbranson, Hutton, Tryamkin, as well as Horvat...all need re-upping, while the Sedin contracts are still there. Those are all potentially significant dollars. $12M+ in UFA commitments this summer could put a serious cramp on ability to actually retain the more important younger players there. There's also the expansion draft possibilities, which could work in their favour if a significant older player salary is picked up. But the focus has always been on the younger players. It's just really hard to fit two big ticket UFAs in there with term, without causing problems a year or two from now.

Wildcard is Hamhuis i think. Though if he re-signs here, it's likely not at a "big ticket" dollar value.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I'm baffled why people want Okposo so bad and usually in the same breath loath at the fact of Lucic.

One player has better stats, while being drafted in the same year:

-More career goals
-More career assists
-More career points
They were drafted the same year, but Okposo spent 2 seasons at U. Minnesota. He has played 2 fewer seasons and 118 fewer games. If you look at the per game stats it tells a much different story.
Goals per game: Okposo 0.26, Lucic 0.24
Assists per game: Okposo 0.43 Lucic 0.36
Points per game: Okposo 0.69 Lucic 0.61

-More reliable and less injury prone
Okposo has had injuries that caused him to miss 44 games in 2010-11 and 22 games in 2013-14. Lucic has an injury that caused him to miss 32 games in the 2009-10 season. So yes, Lucic has missed fewer games to injuries, but given his size and the way he plays it's almost inevitable that towards the latter half of his career he will have more injuries and probably retire younger.

-Bigger, taller and weight
Slower

-Has a career high goal total of 30g (compared to career high of 27g)
While playing on 2 Stanley Cup winning teams. Okposo has played on a bottom feeder for most of his career.

-One of the meanest power forwards in the NHL
-Local kid

I'll let the guys who prefer Okposo decide who that above players stats belong to.

Meh

Okposo is also a RH shooting RW. Lucic is a LH shooting LW. We need the former more than the latter, but it is not the only consideration.

Last edited:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
If you can actually sign Okposo, sure.

But Lucic coming to Vancouver is more likely due to existing ties, so the Vancouver-hometown connection is important there.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sedin - Sedin - Lucic
Okposo - Horvat - Rödin
Hansen - Sutter - Brouwer
Etem - Gaunce - Martin

5 new players. Very physical team. Virtanen in AHL. Rödin will suprise.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I wonder if we'll see any trades before July 1st so teams can get a jump on negotiations with a player. It blew up in Philly's and Pittsburgh faces, although I don't know exactly how much they paid for him. Seems pretty risky asset wise.

Guess that means there is a good chance Benning tries a stunt like this.

Gaunce and Subban for the rights to Lucuic. :scared:

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Sedin - Sedin - Lucic
Okposo - Horvat - Rödin
Hansen - Sutter - Brouwer
Etem - Gaunce - Martin

5 new players. Very physical team. Virtanen in AHL. Rödin will suprise.

If Virtanen is in the minors you can start to think about the bust talk to be honest. Not necessarily as a NHL player but as a 6th overall pick. After a year in the NHL with his speed and size he should have a camp that leaves no doubt as to his readiness to be a NHL player.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
If Virtanen is in the minors you can start to think about the bust talk to be honest. Not necessarily as a NHL player but as a 6th overall pick. After a year in the NHL with his speed and size he should have a camp that leaves no doubt as to his readiness to be a NHL player.

You also have a guy who hasn't really been a prolific point producer at any level. I wouldn't have any issues with him playing in the AHL, seeing if he can hone his offensive game.

I wouldn't be opposed at all, and honestly think it would be best if he was our #1 callup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad