Speculation: UFA Options July 1

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Yes, we would then have one too many D-men to protect and would have to trade one.

If, in a fantasy land, we were going to sign Yandle then Edler would be smart chocie as his value isn't going to get much higher and Yandle would need both Edler's salary and role.

Why not sign Yandle, and then trade Edler in a year? (before the expansion draft).

By that time, Hutton would likely be ready to step up to a Top 4 role anyways.

If this scenario is feasible, then my votes for UFA's would be for Yandle and Backes (even though I know it's unrealistic).

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
I've made it clear in other threads that I'd stay far away from long-term contracts and do a "scorch the earth" rebuild but if I had to choose one UFA to give a bad contract to it'd probably be Okposo. He recently turned 28 so he's one of the younger UFAs and although he has inconsistency issues, he has the offensive skill we lack in our top-6.

Brouwer and Eriksson might be too old and Lucic (along with Brouwer) is at a risk to breakdown sooner because of play-style and body type.

But if I was able to give someone a good, fair, shorter-term contract, it'd probably be Lucic at like 5M x 3-4 years.

(only considered realistic targets, not like Stamkos or Yandle)

I agree, don't want us to give a long term deal. But if it had to be someone I'd choose Okposo as well.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
It's nothing complicated, Benning is trying to cover his ass and save his job with a long shot playoff push.

If we win the cup on the back of Jim Benning's questionable moves, I think this site would explode..

Hell.. I think pigs would even grow wings in this likely scenario.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If we win the cup on the back of Jim Benning's questionable moves, I think this site would explode..

He wouldn't be the first person to succeed despite a series of terrible random illogical moves. I wouldn't get my house on it though.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

I think it's very safe to say that if that happened the moves he makes to get there would have significant praise at the time they were made.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Can't wait for the circus act starting July 1. Should be highly entertaining.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Can't wait for the circus act starting July 1. Should be highly entertaining.

I can wait. I think there is a good chance that the current management hancuffs this team significantly moving forward. People pretend Benning came into a poor cap situation, but my opinion right now is that Benning is very much going to leave the next GM a real honest to goodness cap issue. They only have 4 players signed through the next two season right now and I fear the long term UFA deals and extensions these guys will be handing out of the next 12 months is going to make a mess of things.

Friedman(I think) said yesterday that even with the 5% inflator the cap will go up less than $2 mil this season. Without it it drops about $2 mil. I suspect the players take the inflator as the increase the escrow withholdings with the hope that revenues recover so that the big deals signed this summer will actually be worth what they say on paper (a lower cap level will potentially limit that individual players earnings as GMs cut back on the deal size....on the assumption that salaries on paper on always more than 50% no matter what which I suspect they are).

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I can wait. I think there is a good chance that the current management hancuffs this team significantly moving forward. People pretend Benning came into a poor cap situation, but my opinion right now is that Benning is very much going to leave the net GM a real honest to goodness cap issue.

Oh yeah. I fully expect more dumb moves/signings that push this Franchise even deeper into the black hole that it's already in.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Not sure why the Canucks would go a UFA spree, they won't be in a position to compete for playoffs for a number of years.

I don't think anyone is expecting a free agent spree, but the the team owes it to the fans to try to ice a competitive team every year. The team has a clear need to a top 6 winger and a puck moving defenseman. They will have the cap space to address one of those needs. It would be stupid, bad business and an insult to the fans and players on the team to not attempt to improve the team in the summer.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Not sure why the Canucks would go a UFA spree, they won't be in a position to compete for playoffs for a number of years.
Nah, they're only two or three pieces away... if those pieces are, say, Crosby, McDavid and Shea Weber. ;)

He wouldn't be the first person to succeed despite a series of terrible random illogical moves. I wouldn't get my house on it though.
If not for the fact that the North American system rewards failure with draft position instead of relegation, he probably would be...

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
dont like the Yandle idea
watched him here regularly w the Rangers, and he is terrible defensively
career -32, but in the past 3 years he's -53

that would be a major albatross contract, given the $ and term he'll want

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Oh my good god, I had a nightmare last night that we traded LA for Dustin Brown...........

Someone please kill me, right ****ing now.
:facepalm:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
With sources reporting Lucic asking 6x6, you can probably get him for 5x5.5-5.75

That would be a pretty sweet deal for one of the best powerforwards in the game.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Signing 2 UFAs is IMHO a pipe dream. Prices are always too high.

My prediction is the team signs Louie Eriksson for 5 years at $6M per.

Then they'll try to take a bad contract and a young player. Bickell/Teuvo for Gaunce is my official prediction though I can see Chicago preferring to make a deal out East.

I think Lucic stays in LA and Ladd signs in Calgary.

STL will try to keep Brouwer I think. He'd be too expensive relative to value anyways.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I'm talking about just making the playoffs to appease the boss, to actually compete for the Cup it would take something like Horvat immediately evolving into Bergeron and Hutton into Keith. As of this point it's about as close to an impossibility as you can get.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
The thing people forget is, even as bad as we are, the playoff aspirations could push management to go after guys that would actually get us there. Next, the only thing we could possibly do with that is win one round.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I'm not sure if the expectation on this forum is that since it was the right thing to tank from about January on last season, that it's still the right thing to not improve the team all all and perpetually tank in hopes of accumulating enough high picks that one day, a decade from now we all of a sudden become good?

That's not good business, good management or good hockey.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'm not sure if the expectation on this forum is that since it was the right thing to tank from about January on last season, that it's still the right thing to not improve the team all all and perpetually tank in hopes of accumulating enough high picks that one day, a decade from now we all of a sudden become good?

Putting lipstick on a pig isn't good business, good management or good hockey either.

Doing what the Leafs are doing is what we need to do. Stockpile draft picks and prospects and rebuild this team.

Doing what the Leafs did for years prior to this past year is how you end up a perpetual bottom feeder.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
With sources reporting Lucic asking 6x6, you can probably get him for 5x5.5-5.75

That would be a pretty sweet deal for one of the best powerforwards in the game.

the Kings have apparently already offered 4 x 5.5 so I'd imagine if 5 x 5.5 gets it done he'll be a King. Which is still the most likely outcome given they are close on yearly money and such an offer from the Kings means they aren't concerned short term about his cap hit at all.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I mentioned this before, you need elite young talents who can benefit hugely from playoff experience and/or a legit shot at the cup, otherwise making the playoff is utterly pointless for the team. Management would love it because playoff = $$$, even if the team barely drag their feet in and gets 4-0ed in 1st round.

We're all for improving the team, but the problem is most of the FAs being targeted by this team has maybe 2 years of good hockey left in them, will be looking for a colossal contract and Benning will likely give them a colossal contract.

I'm not saying we should tank over a decade like the 1st Picks - the only team who deserves be the 1st Picks are the 1st Picks. A good team depends on a combination of great management and a healthy pool of talents. We have neither - well, we have some talents but I don't see a franchise level defender or a charge leading forward. With our management being possibly the worst in the league the only other option is to draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad